Ranking Our Record Signings

Tom13

19 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I'd somewhat disagree with Jota. It was a £2m player to pad out a squad because we needed to buy like 14 new players that summer. He probably played as well as a £2m player was going to play (ignoring the anomalies like McGinn).  Actually, Gardner moved the other way so it was basically a free seeing that we weren't going to play Gardner anyway.

Wesley - i agree, even without his injury i don't think he'd ever be a £20m player in the Premier League.

Engels - He was ok for us at the start, we even named him and Mings "Mingels". Then he progressively got worse, not sure why. So maybe a C/D rating?

Yeah I was debating whether to include Jota as he was quite inexpensive and I don’t think we were really expecting too much from him, as you say squad filler.

He wasn’t as bad a signing as Samatta for instance but he wasn’t as a good signing as, say, El Ghazi in my opinion.

44 minutes ago, AV82 said:

@Tom13 is taking an absolute battering here 😂 you bunch of miserable bastards.

No one on VT should stick their head above the parapet and start a new thread if they're not man enough to deal with the consequences. 

It's one of the reasons why I haven't started the Polka Dance thread in off topic... YET 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

No one on VT should stick their head above the parapet and start a new thread if they're not man enough to deal with the consequences. 

It's one of the reasons why I haven't started the Polka Dance thread in off topic... YET 

I agree, I can’t wait to start a new Tammy Abraham transfer thread in the summer.  I always get so much love in that thread. 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

I agree, I can’t wait to start a new Tammy Abraham transfer thread in the summer.  I always get so much love in that thread. 😜

Tammy would LOVE to play in front of Emi and Coutinho!! 

Weird as hell thread 😂

Some strange definitions of record signing being used, strange way to group rankings and then Martinez low down and Kodjia above Watkins lol. 

S for idea, F for execution 😋

Next there'll be a thread exclusively for all the women on here. Like many, stopped at the ranking system..... it's been explained and I'm still clueless. Could this be a salient lesson on the importance of clear communication on a public forum, I wonder?

On 18/01/2022 at 21:14, AvonVillain said:

Next there'll be a thread exclusively for all the women on here. Like many, stopped at the ranking system..... it's been explained and I'm still clueless. Could this be a salient lesson on the importance of clear communication on a public forum, I wonder?

Just think of S as A*. It's basically the same principal.

Like many, I tuned out after seeing Emi in B class. In what universe?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AvonVillain said:

But why? Think of S as A* ! I kind of like things to make sense...

It's just a different way of saying the same thing. Logically, even A* doesn't make any sense.

3 hours ago, Greenfly said:

Logically, even A* doesn't make any sense.

Logically, A* makes perfect sense, as does A+ or B- or what have you. It doesn't take a seconds thought to figure out such a grading system and what it indicates, as it is logical. A slight level above / a slight level below. It doesn't make sense to ascribe the 19th letter of the alphabet to the highest possible mark. None. It would help if the randomly chosen letter had a certain authority or look, perhaps like an X, for example, but, this 'system' even foregoes that.

My apologies for being an old man shouting at fast trains on this matter.