Ranking Our Record Signings

Tom13

46 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

7m and was a record. Was the signing to push on for a title challenge. If anything did the opposite and cost Little his job.

JPA was 9.5m so you probably thinking of that. 

I have no idea why I remember all this yet can’t remember stuff I did yesterday.

For some reason transfermarkt have the transfer fee for JPA at £13m but I always remember it being £9.5m.

2 minutes ago, allani said:

Presumably the s stands for sick then?  Which is still just as bizarre. 

As an old people, I'd assumed it was Success to Failure, with the Successes being (sub) ranked A to E.

Bloody kids, eh?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

As an old people, I'd assumed it was Success to Failure, with the Successes being (sub) ranked A to E.

Bloody kids, eh?

Oh.  I was nowhere near that.  I just assumed that S was "star" - as in a take on the A* exam mark.....

Edited by allani
  • Like 1

Anyway whatever the S stands for - I apologise to the writer of this post but I stopped reading as soon as I saw Emi in the third category of signing.  Maybe at the time of the transfer I wasn't as "fall of my chair" excited as I was by say Coutinho, Young (mark 1) or Dion Dublin but when the hell do Villa sign someone who, within 18 months, becomes one of the top 3 players in their position in world football??!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, allani said:

Presumably the s stands for sick then?  Which is still just as bizarre.  I have no idea what is going on when my kids say that Marta was sick today.  My immediate reaction is to say that I hope she is better soon.  They then pipe up with the fact that she can't possibly get any better because she was super sick.  And I'm suddenly thinking that things must be really bad and can't grasp why they seem so excited.  WTF......

Haha I know that feeling.  The other one is from my nephew who is almost a teenager and I go around to my brother's house, and my nephew grunts at me and leaves the room immediately, then comes back for food, I ask him questions and basically barely grunts and then as I leave an hour or two later when he's back in his room, he comes running up to me, gives me a big hug (like when he was a child) and says he's sad I'm going and can I stay a bit longer.  It confuses my simple mind!

• Like 1

The impact of ollies press and work rate is seriously underrated, most of the good stuff we did last season and the improvement we saw in us was because of what he was doing up top

Need to get him back firing, he makes us a much better team 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But still no further reason why Martinez is not in the top category and even his biggest critic would still have to put him in the second category….

He's made a few mistakes for us, he's no doubt a good keeper.

3 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

He's made a few mistakes for us, he's no doubt a good keeper.

Isn't he rated as like the 3rd best keeper in the world in 2021?

Might be wrong here but is he also the only villa player ever to win a major international tournament? 

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Isn't he rated as like the 3rd best keeper in the world in 2021?

Might be wrong here but is he also the only villa player ever to win a major international tournament? 

Isn't that irrelevant? I do rate him highly.

Looking at just the permanent signings that have been made since our return to the premier league I would say the missteps were Wesley, Samatta, Jota and Engels. 

I think pretty much everyone else who we’ve bought for a substantial fee has made a significant contribution, regardless of their actual ability (Hello Trez).

Martinez has probably been the best signing. If he was a 10 out of 10 signing and Wes* was a 3 out of 10, the likes of Luiz, Konsa, Mings, Watkins are around 7 or an 8. 

Trez, El Ghazi more like a 5 or 6 (relatively cheap).

Although obviously these ratings can fluctuate, six months ago I dare say Player of the season Matt Targett would be considered a much better signing than he is at the moment.

Wouldn’t want to rate Ings, Buendia or Bailey yet. Obviously ditto to Digne.

*I don’t want to be seen a singling out Wes, the injury was unfortunate, it can take a while for someone to get used to a new country away from their family…it’s just that he was one of the more expensive purchases.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Isn't that irrelevant? I do rate him highly.

But you’ve put him in the third category, which is basically just a pass mark.  Sorry, I’m struggling to get past that part, that a player we got for just over £15m whose now rated one of the best keepers around and has top award acknowledgment that you’ve rated him as basically a pass mark.  If anybody deserves a ‘S’ rating it’s Martinez.

10 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Looking at just the permanent signings that have been made since our return to the premier league I would say the missteps were Wesley, Samatta, Jota and Engels. 

I think pretty much everyone else who we’ve bought for a substantial fee has made a significant contribution, regardless of their actual ability (Hello Trez).

Martinez has probably been the best signing. If he was a 10 out of 10 signing and Wes* was a 3 out of 10, the likes of Luiz, Konsa, Mings, Watkins are around 7 or an 8. 

Although obviously these ratings can fluctuate, six months ago I dare say Player of the season Matt Targett would be considered a much better signing than he is at the moment.

*I don’t want to be seen a singling out Wes, the injury was unfortunate, it can take a while for someone to get used to a new country away from their family…it’s just that he was one of the more expensive purchases.

👆This right here, this is the take.👆

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I'd somewhat disagree with Jota. It was a £2m player to pad out a squad because we needed to buy like 14 new players that summer. He probably played as well as a £2m player was going to play (ignoring the anomalies like McGinn).  Actually, Gardner moved the other way so it was basically a free seeing that we weren't going to play Gardner anyway.

Wesley - i agree, even without his injury i don't think he'd ever be a £20m player in the Premier League.

Engels - He was ok for us at the start, we even named him and Mings "Mingels". Then he progressively got worse, not sure why. So maybe a C/D rating?

• Like 1