Formula One - 2022

BOF

15 minutes ago, BOF said:

They're not gone. One thing DTS has done is add a soap element i.e. people forming opinions about drivers and principals based on a production company who, by their own admission, will edit their product to generate a narrative that doesn't necessarily exist. That's fine if you're into it. It's completely separate to F1. And it's probably great for the new non F1 fans. It's not my thing. The new F1 fan probably would have hated Senna if there was social media back then. Because the opportunity for outrage was infinite. This thread has become quite a fanboi thread which is surprising. Binotto is the main antagonist against Merc's design. But because of the Hamilton fans in here you'd get the impression it was all Horner. Intelligent people forming their opinions based on a manufactured soap opera 😁 Leave them at it 👍

I'm not sure the two things are separate, I think sadly some sort of threshold has been reached which at least for the moment means that the value of the "product" is in using the racing to further the narratives on personality. Racing will still be racing, but the coverage and perhaps some of the ways it's organised and arranged will be with an eye on the ratings. The sport has been changed by its Netflix companion and I think harmed by its desire to manage results to support it.

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

I also wasn't a fan of how that ended. It's all in here. Everyone knows Lewis was robbed. But it has become something else in here. Quite schoolyard. But hey. Whatever floats yer boat.

Schoolyard is (unfortunately) driving the renaissance in interest in F1 and it's increased viewing numbers - it's a bigger sport as a result.

I'll let you decide if that means its a better sport. 

Just now, BOF said:

I also wasn't a fan of how that ended. It's all in here. Everyone knows Lewis was robbed. But it has become something else in here. Quite schoolyard. But hey. Whatever floats yer boat.

It’s not an “in here” thing, it’s tainted the sport, and you’ve added another schoolyard dig 😂 It’s like you’re in denial about it all. It’s unfinished business. You’ll see Sky go through it all in great detail this weekend.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not sure the two things are separate, I think sadly some sort of threshold has been reached which at least for the moment means that the value of the "product" is in using the racing to further the narratives on personality. Racing will still be racing, but the coverage and perhaps some of the ways it's organised and arranged will be with an eye on the ratings. The sport has been changed by its Netflix companion and I think harmed by its desire to manage results to support it.

I think last year ran the risk of that being true. It did it with the finale, but that was a one off. Which they've since tried to fix with both the sacking and the rule change. Let's see what happens this year wrt the racing. That's once in 73 years. But the DTS shite can get in the sea. That's dangerous editing for a different audience.

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Schoolyard is (unfortunately) driving the renaissance in interest in F1 and it's increased viewing numbers - it's a bigger sport as a result.

I'll let you decide if that means its a better sport. 

For me it's 2 different audiences. Don't over-estimate what last year's negativity did either, in fairness. Masi is gone. The FIA didn't have to do that. But they did. So let's hope that's a sign they realise the sport is key. Not the show.

I find it quite difficult to even see F1 as a sport after how last season ended. When you’re making up rules to try to create a more dramatic spectacle it defeats the point of sport for me.

The actual ending to last season was far more of a contrived drama than anything that a Netflix series could ever do. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BOF said:

I think last year ran the risk of that being true. It did it with the finale, but that was a one off. Which they've since tried to fix with both the sacking and the rule change. Let's see what happens this year wrt the racing. That's once in 73 years. But the DTS shite can get in the sea.

I get that, but I think it's resulted in something a bit like the introduction of the Premier League in football - there's new interest, driven largely by the focus on personality over technicality and it's changing things in ways that are unclear and might be unwanted.

That's dangerous editing for a different audience.

I guess what I'm saying is that I think that audience is the future of the sport, for better of worse.

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s not an “in here” thing, it’s tainted the sport, and you’ve added another schoolyard dig 😂 It’s like you’re in denial about it all. It’s unfinished business. You’ll see Sky go through it all in great detail this weekend.

Read my posts in here. No denial at all. The credit towards drivers in here is one directional. I like the whole sport. I don't have a team or a driver. But I'm in a thread that very much does. I think I probably followed Jordan back in the day. Otherwise it's been as a general fan since day dot.

I guess what I'm saying is that I think that audience is the future of the sport, for better of worse.

I don't doubt that. But let's not pretend they know the sport. And if the sport has to change to accommodate them then what you've got isn't worth a shit. Let's hope it goes back to normal this year. At least the FIA have shown they don't like what happened last year. Otherwise they'd have left it all and made excuses to leave it that way.

• Like 1

Hmmm. I think for the owners, the bottom line is the key and they can generate that from a bit of both.

There'll always be a bit of both. That's in every sport. But as per my post above, they've at least demonstrated that they don't want last year to happen again.

Just now, BOF said:

There'll always be a bit of both. That's in every sport. But as per my post above, they've at least demonstrated that they don't want last year to happen again.

They've demonstrated that they got it wrong - numbers-wise it might be the most successful F1 season I can remember. 

I'm not suggesting they're going to 'arrange' results or fix racing, but I think they'll want to encourage the 'show' to be about driver rivalries and personalities and all the other things that get eyes in front of screens and I don't think they'll be beyond nudging decisions in that direction if things look a bit flat.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

I think they had to do something, that’s not to say they didn’t want to but they really had no choice.

9 minutes ago, BOF said:

I am not sure that DTS has any effect to be honest. Looking at this thread it seems that the majority have a large dislike for Max, I can understand that. Christian Horner is also a prime target, is it because somehow both are deemed to be at fault for Lewis not winning the championship?

Either way that was going on before DTS was screened. I have only watched episode 1 so don't know how last season has been portrayed.

It does seem that this thread has become more Partizan. Is it because people are getting more emotionally invested in the sport. If so isn't that a good thing?

13 minutes ago, BOF said:

For me it's 2 different audiences. Don't over-estimate what last year's negativity did either, in fairness. Masi is gone. The FIA didn't have to do that. But they did. So let's hope that's a sign they realise the sport is key. Not the show.

Unfortunately BOF I believe Liberty will have exactly the opposite view.....there is no such thing as bad publicity in their eyes. We need to hope that those who operate in the sport can provide a bit of balance 

I wouldn't want to throw the baby out with the bath water, the sport is better for this focus in a lot of ways, it's unmissable at the moment. 

It's just a question of balancing those that want to see Max and Lewis slugging it out on the podium to Whitesnake and those who love the technical aspects of racing and understand the sport from a deeper perspective.

If Liberty get that balance right and the rules on the new cars do what they're supposed to, it'll be an incredible season.

• Like 1

I for one enjoy DtS for the extra behind the scenes footage we get of the teams. Horner and Cyrille after Ricciardo moved still makes me smile. As does Horner after RIC left Renault.

It's also helped my get my OH, parents, cousins and several friends more into F1. The editing is usually heavily apparent if you watched and can remember the races they're showing although some of it borders on nonsensical. There was one bit where they showed the McLarens side by side on track and had Norris radio message clearly from a different event talking about being pushed off for example.

Hopefully they tone it down next season but either way it's still has lots of enjoyable footage imo.

Last season is gone, an error was made and the error maker has been removed. The only reason it's still such a big deal is that it was the last race of the season. If it happened in September nobody would be batting an eye about it now.

The racing is by far the most important thing though and this season looks set to be great. A 3 or 4 way title fight would be magnificent.