Formula One - 2022

BOF

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Why to British F1 fans hate Max? Assume it's because he's main rival to Hamilton and how last season ended 

Probably.
I went years ago and everyone was booing Vettel for the same reason. Just a bit of banter I think.

41 minutes ago, Genie said:

Probably.
I went years ago and everyone was booing Vettel for the same reason. Just a bit of banter I think.

Yeah makes sense. Like a home / away thing. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Max has been brilliant since he joined F1. He has an edge to him and lots of raw talent. I think he's great. 

I agree, he’s given the sport a shot in the arm in terms of entertainment value.

It would be pretty dull right now without him I think.

Edited by Genie

14 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Max has been brilliant since he joined F1. He has an edge to him and lots of raw talent. I think he's great. 

I agree that Max is super talented, I just don't like him. He is an even better driver this season than he was last. He is calmer, more calculated. It is the worst thing that could have happened for his opponents because his risk taking could be reckless and was his greatest flaw. Maybe he would take more risks in a tighter fight, but he seems to have learned the long game and it is to his credit. I have to admire his talent as he passed all my checklist of what makes a great driver, watching him perform in changeable conditions as they were today is one of them.

For me though it is a personality thing. I think he is a dick.

53 minutes ago, Straggler said:

I agree that Max is super talented, I just don't like him. He is an even better driver this season than he was last. He is calmer, more calculated. It is the worst thing that could have happened for his opponents because his risk taking could be reckless and was his greatest flaw. Maybe he would take more risks in a tighter fight, but he seems to have learned the long game and it is to his credit. I have to admire his talent as he passed all my checklist of what makes a great driver, watching him perform in changeable conditions as they were today is one of them.

F1 drivers are not really known for the pleasant personalities. Like Hamilton is a dick, I know to British fans they don't see it because obviously you support your own drivers. Lots of people hated Schumacher. Alonso is a dick but he's in many peoples opinions the most talented driver of his generation. I think to have the edge you need to be unlikeable somewhat. Kinda like say Roy Keane effect. People might fear you a bit more out there. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Straggler said:

As I said before. Lewis is the best thing to ever happen Max's maturity. When Lewis goes, Max will wipe the floor with everyone else, and he'll eventually be the Hamilton to the next Max or lesser equivalent.

13 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Why to British F1 fans hate Max? Assume it's because he's main rival to Hamilton and how last season ended 

Also doesn’t help that Max is an absolute prick

• Like 2

13 hours ago, CVByrne said:

F1 drivers are not really known for the pleasant personalities. Like Hamilton is a dick, I know to British fans they don't see it because obviously you support your own drivers. Lots of people hated Schumacher. Alonso is a dick but he's in many peoples opinions the most talented driver of his generation. I think to have the edge you need to be unlikeable somewhat. Kinda like say Roy Keane effect. People might fear you a bit more out there. 

Oh, believe me, there’s a lot of us who do see it. ;)

14 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Agreed. I know he’s an arse (and I do wind people up on here about him) but I’m also a fan, I really enjoy his racing.

Leclerc and Norris are my other two faves, and who doesn’t love Daniel Ricciardo. 

Max is something different though. 

(And I don’t like Lewis cos he’s the happiest man alive when in front with nobody chasing, when he’s in the fastest car, but as soon as somebody gets close he’s moaning and blaming everybody else and just acting like a prick).

Edited by Dodgyknees
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Also doesn’t help that Max is an absolute prick

Hamilton is too. But people support Lewis. As soon as Hamilton isn’t in the fastest car. He becomes “Karen” 

F1 to me is a lot like the old sketch, I think it was on Big Train. I won’t link to it as I’ve been several months without warning points but the conversation through the last page or so of this thread reminded me of it. You go down the list of current (and former) F1 drivers and its: w*nk, w*nk, w*nk, good guy, w*nk, w*nk, good guy, w*nk. 

You probably have to know the sketch or this post is going to sound like I’m knocking one out over most F1 drivers :blink: