Formula One - 2022

BOF

2 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

Agreed. I know he’s an arse (and I do wind people up on here about him) but I’m also a fan, I really enjoy his racing.

Leclerc and Norris are my other two faves, and who doesn’t love Daniel Ricciardo. 

Max is something different though. 

(And I don’t like Lewis cos he’s the happiest man alive when in front with nobody chasing, when he’s in the fastest car, but as soon as somebody gets close he’s moaning and blaming everybody else and just acting like a prick).

I'm excited for this era of the cars as we finally are seeing competition. I think next season Ferrari and Mercedes will make big leaps forward and we'll have the three best drivers (Verstappen, Leclerc, Russel) in the three best cars hopefully giving us really competitive racing. 

The 11 years that were Red Bull and Mercedes basically being untouchable and we had to dine on only the odd little bit of competition. It's great that that is hopefully in the past. It's all about competition and I think this new rules set looks to deliver it (hopefully). 

Btw, I’ve enjoyed f1 the last 3 years (more so the last two) than I have in maybe 15. Really loving it again.

As balance, I think Lewis is a great driver but along with my thoughts above, I think he’s been very lucky to have been in a car that nobody came close to. Everybody in a level car and Lewis would look very good, but not as good as the car has made him look.

Edited by Dodgyknees

Just now, CVByrne said:

I'm excited for this era of the cars as we finally are seeing competition. I think next season Ferrari and Mercedes will make big leaps forward and we'll have the three best drivers (Verstappen, Leclerc, Russel) in the three best cars hopefully giving us really competitive racing. 

The 11 years that were Red Bull and Mercedes basically being untouchable and we had to dine on only the odd little bit of competition. It's great that that is hopefully in the past. It's all about competition and I think this new rules set looks to deliver it (hopefully). 

Spot on mate. Exciting isn’t it? Yeah Russel I like too, it’s brilliant to see more than one/two teams on top. 

15 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

Btw, I’ve enjoyed f1 the last 3 years (more so the last two) than I have in maybe 15. Really loving it again.

As balance, I think Lewis is a great driver but along with my thoughts above, I think he’s been very lucky to have been in a car that nobody came close to. Everybody in a level car and Lewis would look very good, but not as good as the car has made him look.

2007-2009 were classic years. Close title races, refueling, qualifying that meant drivers could be out of place on the starting grid. The red bull dominance years weren’t great and then 7 years of Merc dominance haven’t been great either. Last season was good though.

14 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

2007-2009 were classic years. Close title races, refueling, qualifying that meant drivers could be out of place on the starting grid. The red bull dominance years weren’t great and then 7 years of Merc dominance haven’t been great either. Last season was good though.

Yeah I was fully into f1 up to around 2011, I don’t like dominance - and I am hoping we see 3/4 or even 5 teams up the top end.

2 hours ago, Dodgyknees said:

Hamilton is too. But people support Lewis. As soon as Hamilton isn’t in the fastest car. He becomes “Karen” 

Yep. I don’t like Lewis either. But he’s British so he’s obviously going to have some home support. Nothing wrong with that. 

Max doesn’t have that, AND he’s a massive word removed. So people don’t like him. 

He’s an excellent driver, and he’s made the sport more exciting, but he’s still a dick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dodgyknees said:

You can probably say this about every world champion ever

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Very excited about the race today. Sitting at Becketts and have a cool view of the track. It's pretty cool to be here. Something to tick off the bucket list. 

Have fun mate 👍

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You can probably say this about every world champion ever

I think there are other former champions who are better drivers than Lewis, so whilst this may be the case - if you put the last 20 world title winners in the same car, I think Lewis would halfway down. 

2 hours ago, Dodgyknees said:

This is the issue. 6 years with McLaren and 1 world title. Then 6 titles in 7 years where Mercedes drivers were 1st and 2nd in the drivers Championship in all bar 2 of those seasons. Mercedes won constructors in all those seasons comfortably. 

Just remember what people were saying about Vettel after his 4 titles in a row when he had such a dominant car. I think Hamilton and Alonso are the best drivers of there generation with Vettel in 3rd. 

Schumacher and Senna are a cut above however. Schumacher in clearly inferior cars in the 90s almost winning world titles was the best era for me. Joining a joke team like Ferrari who were a laughing stock and dragging them to the top again. The thoughts of the best driver going to one of the worst teams because of the challenge is just not something we'd ever see these days.

In modern sports though people just chase the statistics, like number of grand slams in tennis, or majors in golf, or grand prix wins and championships etc. Back in the past it wasn't all about chasing the statistics, careers started later and weren't as long for example. 

24 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

This is the issue. 6 years with McLaren and 1 world title. Then 6 titles in 7 years where Mercedes drivers were 1st and 2nd in the drivers Championship in all bar 2 of those seasons. Mercedes won constructors in all those seasons comfortably. 

Just remember what people were saying about Vettel after his 4 titles in a row when he had such a dominant car. I think Hamilton and Alonso are the best drivers of there generation with Vettel in 3rd. 

Schumacher and Senna are a cut above however. Schumacher in clearly inferior cars in the 90s almost winning world titles was the best era for me. Joining a joke team like Ferrari who were a laughing stock and dragging them to the top again. The thoughts of the best driver going to one of the worst teams because of the challenge is just not something we'd ever see these days.

In modern sports though people just chase the statistics, like number of grand slams in tennis, or majors in golf, or grand prix wins and championships etc. Back in the past it wasn't all about chasing the statistics, careers started later and weren't as long for example. 

And yet 5 of Schumacher’s world titles were in a row in a dominant Ferrari. 

Most world champions did it in the best car

51 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

I think there are other former champions who are better drivers than Lewis, so whilst this may be the case - if you put the last 20 world title winners in the same car, I think Lewis would halfway down. 

Not a chance

29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

And yet 5 of Schumacher’s world titles were in a row in a dominant Ferrari. 

Most world champions did it in the best car

Proving my point when you are focused on counting numbers of world titles. As I said, Schumachers greatness were the 90s when he was in the inferior car and his insane ability had him in world title fights. 

Of all the sports, motorsport is one where the most titles means less than say Tennis. The car - especially in modern F1 - is the biggest factor in victory. 

1 hour ago, Dodgyknees said:

I think it's tough to rank them. My order of them would be

Schumacher

Verstappen - the current driver and the driver we'll see as he enters his prime

Alonso / Hamilton - tied hard to split them

Vettel

Rosberg

Button

Raikkonen. 

I imagine Verstappen / Hamilton / Alonso you could argue who was the best and you would have a valid argument regardless. 

Button tbf to him probably edged it with Hamilton in their 3 years as teammates which maybe could make an outside case fir him?

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think it's tough to rank them. My order of them would be

Schumacher

Verstappen - the current driver and the driver we'll see as he enters his prime

Alonso / Hamilton - tied hard to split them

Vettel

Rosberg

Button

Raikkonen. 

I imagine Verstappen / Hamilton / Alonso you could argue who was the best and you would have a valid argument regardless. 

Button tbf to him probably edged it with Hamilton in their 3 years as teammates which maybe could make an outside case fir him?

I think I'd largely agree with this ranking. I think I'd put Hamilton above Alonso but it's extremely close. And I'd put them both ahead of Verstappen but agree that Verstappen could end up being better than both so if you include potential it's a fair enough shout.

• Like 1

You are forgetting how much Schumacher was looked after by the FIA due to the amount of money was coming into F1 at the time due to him. The bonkers Ecclestone wouldn't have nothing said about Schumacher and he used to get away with absolute murder.

Surprised Mansell is not in that list, known as one of the best drivers of his generation, even went to America to Indi car racing and showed them up.