Formula One - 2022

BOF

18 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Be interesting if they end up coming up with a regulation that means the Mercedes have to go even slower.

I think they basically have. This seems to me essentially - we will monitor your porpoising and if it's too violent you need to dial it down. So rather than change the regulations to penalise cars that have designed around it, they penalise poor design. If anything, and in the absence of serious re-designe, this will make Merc worse. Up to now they've been within touching distance of the others by having a jack-in-the-box car. Now they'll have to fall back.  I wonder if Ferrari may now fall foul of any new acceleration rate too. This is where Adrian Newey makes his salary.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I think they basically have. This seems to me essentially - we will monitor your porpoising and if it's too violent you need to dial it down. So rather than change the regulations to penalise cars that have designed around it, they penalise poor design. If anything, and in the absence of serious re-designe, this will make Merc worse. Up to now they've been within touching distance of the others by having a jack-in-the-box car. Now they'll have to fall back.  I wonder if Ferrari may now fall foul of any new acceleration rate too. This is where Adrian Newey makes his salary.

It’ll be interesting if Lewis decides his back isn’t that bad after all.

Not saying he was faking it last week at all, I think he was genuinely in pain but how much pain we’ll never know. 

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

Not saying he was faking it last week at all, I think he was genuinely in pain but how much pain we’ll never know. 

The state of Lewis's back is irrelevant now because the FIA will be monitoring vertical acceleration rates regardless. So even if they all decide they're perfectly healthy and thoroughly enjoying the ride, the car still cannot exceed whatever limit the FIA end up setting. So they've brought attention to a shortcoming in their car hoping the FIA would bring everyone back to them, and instead they've ensured they have to go slower. It's like racing's equivalent to the Streisand effect.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

It probably won't be because no other circuit has the characteristics that Baku has with that 2km long straight on a surface not purposely built for F1.

It'll be interesting to see how the F1 owners will react to what looks like it's going to be a processional season for (the hated) Verstappen. I think the rule changes they've put in sound sensible and a good idea, but as a result, the best adjusted car, the Red Bull, which is already quickest, might well just dominate in a way that's not particularly entertaining.

They've shown a willingness last season to prioritise entertainment and ratings over sporting merit, if Red Bull take the next couple, i wouldn't too surprised to see some sort of rule change come in for the benefit of "the show".

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It'll be interesting to see how the F1 owners will react to what looks like it's going to be a processional season for (the gets people annoyed cos he out Hamilton’s Hamilton) Verstappen. I think the rule changes they've put in sound sensible and a good idea, but as a result, the best adjusted car, the Red Bull, which is already quickest, might well just dominate in a way that's not particularly entertaining.

They've shown a willingness last season to prioritise entertainment and ratings over sporting merit, if Red Bull take the next couple, i wouldn't too surprised to see some sort of rule change come in for the benefit of "the show".

Fixed

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It'll be interesting to see how the F1 owners will react to what looks like it's going to be a processional season for (the hated) Verstappen. I think the rule changes they've put in sound sensible and a good idea, but as a result, the best adjusted car, the Red Bull, which is already quickest, might well just dominate in a way that's not particularly entertaining.

I’m an even bigger Sergio Perez fan this season now LeClerc has dropped off

• Like 1