Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

7 hours ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Admit it, when he went down after tumbling over Diego Carlos, you thought: ’finally. Go on Monchi, open the chequebook’ 

Its the one position you dont open the chequebook. Nobody is spending  millions on back up goalkeepers. Not even City

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

If people bother to look at every teams back up keepers the majority are no better than Olsen, several I'd argue are worse. Even top teams.  Car crash Carson is at City. Just pointless constantly moaning about this. If Emery thinks he's adequate that's that

Well it’s a Villa forum designed to allow Villa fans to express their opinions on all aspects of the club from the owners to the manager to the players. 

Whether you see that as moaning and pointless is obviously your prerogative, however, we all have a right to reiterate our opinions if we like because, as we know in football, ‘that’ is never ‘that’. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

He can't win. So if he plays Sunday and we manage to get something, it will be interesting how you sum up his performance, because Liverpool are certainly no poor team. 

He can win

Improve on the areas in which he is seriously lacking. The real tests are the ones against the liverpools spurs etc. The ones that actually will be intense pressure on him.

The last two games he has had weak opposition 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

People said this when he had to play against Spurs after the World Cup and the sentiment on here was it was a disgrace we were resting Emi, Lloris was showing a keeper from the WC final could/should be starting, etc. 

Olsen did fine. We won. Lloris, then a top name, screwed up and has never recovered, dropped by Spurs etc.

I don’t rate the lad and I wish we had a better backup but let’s steer clear of hyperbole. 

Yeah he was good in that game but again he had very little to do vs spurs as they were so poor and we were so good. The pen nothing he could have done but that performance he wouldnt get criticised for.

I just dont rate him at the moment but lets see how season progresses!

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

He can win

Improve on the areas in which he is seriously lacking. The real tests are the ones against the liverpools spurs etc. The ones that actually will be intense pressure on him.

The last two games he has had weak opposition 

Spurs who he started against and we won 😉

1 hour ago, Callum said:

May as well close this thread mods. The verdict is out on Olsen. He can literally do no good at this point  

‘He’s a great shot-stopper but still shit’ 

‘Improving but still not good enough’ 

‘Nyland vibes’ 

‘Was hoping he was injured when he clattered Carlos’ 

It’s disgusting tbh lads. 

A stark reminder that no matter where we are as a club, some of you will ALWAYS need a scapegoat or two to suffice your toxicity. words removed. 

Cult hero?

I've been pretty critical of Olsen for the most part. Probably because I'm Swedish as well and I kinda hold him to a really high standard lol, but he was fantastic yesterday and pulled out a couple of really good saves. He's also looking a lot more confident lately and isn't just hogging the line like he did for us before. I'm pleasantly surprised really and eating humble pie for breakfast!

9 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

It makes alot of sense.

Burnley were not good despite your analysis he has been in goal against 2 poor sides and didnt have much to do.

Yes give him credit for his saves but doesnt mean he is a good keeper.  He just causes panic, cant command his box,  shit at kicking the ball, and just does not inspire confidence to his defenders.

I just hope emis back on sunday otherwise its going to be a bloodbath

Like the bloodbath at St James's Park?

It's not the players panicking, it's the Olsen haters. There is a lot of projection going on here.

No, he does not command his area, only the very top keepers are able to do this. This is what separates the great from the good.

His kicking and distribution seem fine to me.

The players seem confident in him, I have not once seen any of them refuse to pass to him. Again projection from the haters.

I hear he is shit a lot, but no one stating this has come up with a viable alternative. We get comments like "put Marschall on", which is the best way to destroy a career, to de Gea if free, at £300k a week.

The need for a scapegoat says more about the haters than the player. Slag him off when he's gone by all means, but just support him when he is here.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

It's not the players panicking, it's the Olsen haters. There is a lot of projection going on here.

No, he does not command his area, only the very top keepers are able to do this. This is what separates the great from the good.

The players seem confident in him, I have not once seen any of them refuse to pass to him. Again projection from the haters.

I hear he is shit a lot, but no one stating this has come up with a viable alternative. We get comments like "put Marschall on", which is the best way to destroy a career, to de Gea if free, at £300k a week.

The need for a scapegoat says more about the haters than the player. Slag him off when he's gone by all means, but just support him when he is here.

Most of this is fiction.

Olsen is not good.

40 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

Did you not see him get the ball trapped at his legs last night that nearly ended up in an OG. Did you see the Brentford game last year? 

He made some good saves. He also completely missed a cross in the opening minutes and nearly stumbled over the ball on the goal line. 

He's a liability but should be OK for the odd game here and there. 

If he had to play long term our season would be over IMO. 

1 minute ago, villan95 said:

Whether people rate him or not, he's going to be our backup keeper this season and everyone just needs to get behind him.

100%

The clean sheet will give him a massive confidence boost. He’s clearly shaking off the rust, making good saves and easing himself into games. It’s much harder to be consistent as a backup goalkeeper when you are likely to probably play minimal games. 

• Like 1

Whether people rate him or not, he's going to be our backup keeper this season and everyone just needs to get behind him.

Fans always do.

They can't help but gasp as the ball goes through his legs or under his foot though.

Season over if he has to play an extended run.

Don't get this either. When McLeish was manager were you behind him? He's been given so many chances and he looks so out of his depth. We are winning/drawing games despite him not because of him.

• Like 1

Â