Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

I thought it was quite obvious in the games against newcastle and fulham last week. Olsen is here to stay and UE trusts him and is working with his weaknesses, his feet. I was a bit disappointed when Emery said that he was contempt with both his keepers as I was about to put some bets with other Villans that don't think he's good enough for being a decent backup. 

And to those who says he's not a good shot stopper: Yes, yes he is. Take a look at Sweden's international games. Preferrably start with the game against Spain in the EC two years ago, and the game against Austria two months ago. The difference? He has a whole other confidence playing for Sweden than in Villa. Get behind the boy, build up his confidence, and we have a backup that can save us points. Unfortunately his weakness says he won't win us points by setting us up, but he will make great saves. He definetely won Sweden a point away to Spain.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lexicon said:

1 - That doesn't make any sense. If he's excellent, what's Emi? You're cheapening the word excellent and removing all meaning from it. 

2 - No, it's not. Again, 'superb' is far too strong a word for what you're trying to convey. We've got a really good squad, but not THAT good. 

3 - So why do our defenders not appear to trust him on the ball and look visibly shaky whenever he plays?

He's not a good keeper, Marka and he's not a good 2nd keeper for us because he's not comfortable in possession. It's a fundamental part of our system and how we play and he undermines it. 

Maybe Olsen would play better if he had defenders in front of him who didn't shit themselves just because another player wasn't available.

24 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Maybe Olsen would play better if he had defenders in front of him who didn't shit themselves just because another player wasn't available.

Bold move blaming the defence, Robin. 

• Haha 2

Except for one horrendous pass, Olsen looked more than capable today, decent distribution, assured and good sweeping. 

I like that instead of discarding him, like must Villa fans would do, Emery actually works with the players, tries to improve them and build confidence.

(Still 10 minutes to go, let's see if a jinxes it)

Edited by Chicken Field
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

Except for one horrendous pass, Olsen looked more than capable today, decent distribution, assured and good sweeping. 

I like that instead of discarding him, like must Villa fans would do, Emery actually works with the players, tries to improve them and build confidence.

Agreed thought he looked a bit more relaxed and working within his limitations. We don't need him to be Emi but if he can just not actively lose points, then that would last us a season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

So all we need to do is dominate teams all over the pitch and there's nothing to worry about. Simple. 

Our Goalkeeping version of Scott Hogan.

All we've needed to do this whole time is play to his " strengths " .

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

So all we need to do is dominate teams all over the pitch and there's nothing to worry about. Simple. 

Totally, play like we have an open net, protect it and win by not allowing the opponent a shot on goal.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Olsen as our No2...just get over it. Support him whilst he's still with us. Unai will be well aware of his shortcomings and will be improving him every single day, just like he's done to so many other current players on our books!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Chicken Field said:

He did nothing 'good' in the match because he didn't have to. We were totally on top and he was mostly a passenger.

Bit in bold is rich. Has Emery cast Donk aside for Tielemans? Has he cast Bailey aside for Diaby? No, he's just brought in better players to choose from in the squad. He wants to improve everyone because it helps us win matches.

Olsen will get 'backed' by fans every time he steps on the pitch this season. That won't stop him dropping a clanger and fans then being annoyed.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Villa 59 said:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Olsen as our No2...just get over it. Support him whilst he's still with us. Unai will be well aware of his shortcomings and will be improving him every single day, just like he's done to so many other current players on our books!

... um

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Villa 59 said:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Olsen as our No2

That's quite a statement. I don't think he's good enough to start for us if Martinez can't play, so for me there is something wrong with Olsen as our No2. I mean a number 2 keeper should be of a standard whereby if they start a game you don't think the team is substantially compromised, that's just not the case here though is it?

If the idea is to rotate so Martinez isn't starting Sunday->Thurs->Sunday then for me we're making it much harder to progress int he competitions where we start with Olsen. I don't think we'd need to break the bank to get a better keeper either.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, romavillan said:

That's quite a statement. I don't think he's good enough to start for us if Martinez can't play, so for me there is something wrong with Olsen as our No2. I mean a number 2 keeper should be of a standard whereby if they start a game you don't think the team is substantially compromised, that's just not the case here though is it?

If the idea is to rotate so Martinez isn't starting Sunday->Thurs->Sunday then for me we're making it much harder to progress int he competitions where we start with Olsen. I don't think we'd need to break the bank to get a better keeper either.

Yes, it's quite a statement but it's also one I stand by. To do otherwise would be a slight on Unai Emery unless you're saying that you know better than him and that you have no confidence in him improving him!  Wait and see...he will improve!

16 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He did nothing 'good' in the match because he didn't have to. We were totally on top and he was mostly a passenger.

Bit in bold is rich. Has Emery cast Donk aside for Tielemans? Has he cast Bailey aside for Diaby? No, he's just brought in better players to choose from in the squad. He wants to improve everyone because it helps us win matches.

Olsen will get 'backed' by fans every time he steps on the pitch this season. That won't stop him dropping a clanger and fans then being annoyed.

Well, according to the 'so called' experts it's most difficult for a GK who has little to do perform well when he has to and I certainly done that!

3 hours ago, Villa 59 said:

Yes, it's quite a statement but it's also one I stand by. To do otherwise would be a slight on Unai Emery unless you're saying that you know better than him and that you have no confidence in him improving him!  Wait and see...he will improve!

Haha, a slight on Emery?! The fact Olsen was poor playing for Roma? Is that Emery's fault? No. Did Emery sign Olsen? No. Was it Emery that made him perform badly in Sheffield? No. 

What are you talking about? I'm sure Emery will try and get the best out of him if he plays in a Villa shirt. Emery is a **** genius. Olsen is also not a great goalkeeper and we should have a better backup.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

He did everything he needed to do well, his distribution was good (except for once), he anticipated play well and was quick of his line to sweep a few times, and saved the one shot he needed to. If he performs to that level from now on, then he'll be more than good enough as back up.

I think (unless sold), we will see plenty of Bailey again this season :)

I Don't think constant criticism is being backed.

• Like 1

Unai has pretty much free reign at Villa Park now, if he wanted to bring in a 20 million back up keeper he would be allowed. Fact he hasnt brought in a new keeper shows he has faith in Olsen

• Like 2

4 hours ago, romavillan said:

Haha, a slight on Emery?! The fact Olsen was poor playing for Roma? Is that Emery's fault? No. Did Emery sign Olsen? No. Was it Emery that made him perform badly in Sheffield? No. 

What are you talking about? I'm sure Emery will try and get the best out of him if he plays in a Villa shirt. Emery is a **** genius. Olsen is also not a great goalkeeper and we should have a better backup.

Just exactly who would this better backup be? 

Before you say it's not your job to find that player, that's what we have scouts and coaches for, I'll add that they're seemingly not the ones looking for a better backup.

So what goalkeeper do you have in mind that is an upgrade on what we have and would come here knowing he'll rarely play? Everyone talks about the dropoff in quality to Martinez, but that's not the true barometer. Any backup keeper will be a dropoff to Emi. Which keeper would want to rarely play but would be a significant upgrade on Olsen.

Edited by StanBalaban
  • Like 2

Â