Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

6 minutes ago, useless said:

In general play I actually thought he was one of our better players, which isn't really saying much, but I didn't think there wasn't much difference between his performance and Sanson's who is getting praise, His shooting was atrocious though. He obviously wasn't great, could tell by his own reaction after being brought of that he wasn't pleased with himself.

I agree. He doesn't take those shots and it's probably an unremarkable 7/10 performance that doesn't get much comment. He'd be forgiven a couple of them but to just keep going was astonishing to watch.

I can kind of understand because well, our other option was passing it around 30 yards out with no movement or ideas of how to break them down, so I can understand the frustration, but they were absolutely farcical attempts

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

People having a different opinion to you isn't an "agenda"

If he hadn't wasted the ball with 5 pot shots that nearly put the floodlights out, he'd probably not be getting anywhere near as much criticism

People have a very clear agenda. Hence the comments about his wages or he’s here for the money etc. What’s that go to do with Stevenage? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

I thought he had a good game under the circumstance. His shooting was below par yes, but he was trying hard and linking the play. His cross should have been buried to make it 2-0. 

It was a League 2 side. I will spot you that his cross should have been converted. But the reality is the guy is our highest-profile player and one of the highest earners in the squad, and his last genuinely good game for the club was the final day of last season, and the one before that was several months earlier. It's not enough for what he's paid. 

Just now, The_Steve said:

People have a very clear agenda. Hence the comments about his wages or he’s here for the money etc. What’s that go to do with Stevenage? 

think people have an expectation that our top earners should be among our top performers.

As with Digne, and Ings, it's not their fault they're paid so much, and it's not a criticism of them as individuals, just a frustration at the poor value for money the club is getting out of this squad.

Edited by Davkaus

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

It was a League 2 side. I will spot you that his cross should have been converted. But the reality is the guy is our highest-profile player and one of the highest earners in the squad, and his last genuinely good game for the club was the final day of last season, and the one before that was several months earlier. It's not enough for what he's paid. 

I said in the match thread, is Sanson a bad player because he scored against them? Of course not. You can only beat what’s in front of you. He’s clearly suffering from a lack of confidence, and like Bailey, was trying to overcompensate yesterday. 

He is one of the highest earners in the squad. I think that’s a factor for people.

People wouldn’t mind him ballooning shots - well, not as much - if he was on 10 grand a week and not 140 grand a week or whatever it is.

Just now, Davkaus said:

think people have an expectation that our top earners should be among our top performers.

But it ain’t that simple is it? There’s a reason why Leon gets 90 minutes, you give your influential players game time to boost their confidence. Phil needed the minutes too. And I’m sure will be working hard to find his form again. 

Just now, The_Steve said:

But it ain’t that simple is it? There’s a reason why Leon gets 90 minutes, you give your influential players game time to boost their confidence. Phil needed the minutes too. And I’m sure will be working hard to find his form again. 

I've been a bit unfair and edited my post as you were replying :) To be clear though, my frustration is more at the club and where we've spent the money than with the man.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I've been a bit unfair and edited my post as you were replying :) To be clear though, my frustration is more at the club and where we've spent the money than with the man.

I appreciate - it wasn’t aimed at you personally. I think I want Phil to succeed but I’m just tired of how we are again in this state. I expect better certainly, I just think there’s a large crop of players I’d happily drop or sell. 

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

I said in the match thread, is Sanson a bad player because he scored against them? Of course not. You can only beat what’s in front of you. He’s clearly suffering from a lack of confidence, and like Bailey, was trying to overcompensate yesterday. 

You're misunderstanding me. When I say 'it was a League 2 side', I don't mean '. . . and therefore it is bad that he did well against them' (what?), I mean '. . . and therefore he should have been able to produce more in the way of chances than one moderately good cross in his time on the pitch'. 

I agree with you that he looks deeply lacking in confidence. But whether the problem is his confidence or his legs or whatever else, the consequence is that he was a bad signing that we shouldn't have made, and is now a giant sink of wages with no contribution to show for it.  

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

You're misunderstanding me. When I say 'it was a League 2 side', I don't mean '. . . and therefore it is bad that he did well against them' (what?), I mean '. . . and therefore he should have been able to produce more in the way of chances than one moderately good cross in his time on the pitch'. 

I agree with you that he looks deeply lacking in confidence. But whether the problem is his confidence or his legs or whatever else, the consequence is that he was a bad signing that we shouldn't have made, and is now a giant sink of wages with no contribution to show for it.  

He should be contributing more, I think it’s only been 2 months of Emery, so it’s a period of adjustment for many. The lack of width (cheers Stevie) and Emery’s vision will take time to gel. We struggle with teams that sit deep, but there’s no excuse for the poor shooting from Phil and many others and I’m sure that’s going to be addressed in training. Emery can get the best out of him, it’s just up to Phil to prove that he can. I think it’s too early to write him off just yet. People are free to disagree. I just hope that he does given the trust and money invested in him. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

He should be contributing more, I think it’s only been 2 months of Emery, so it’s a period of adjustment for many. The lack of width (cheers Stevie) and Emery’s vision will take time to gel. We struggle with teams that sit deep, but there’s no excuse for the poor shooting from Phil and many others and I’m sure that’s going to be addressed in training. Emery can get the best out of him, it’s just up to Phil to prove that he can. I think it’s too early to write him off just yet. People are free to disagree. I just hope that he does given the trust and money invested in him. 

Agree with all of that; we should all want him to come good. I just don't think he will, but of course it would be great if he would prove me wrong. 

• Like 1

To create chances you need movement ahead of you. The only movement seemed to come from Sanson. Everyone else seemed to be going through the motions. Coutinho was complicit in this but when on the ball he had very little options.

His shooting though literally aimed for the stars. 

Coutinho is no longer a wide player but he’s not a midfielder so that only leaves the bench or up front as a second striker.

Maybe at a stretch he could re-invent himself in the old Pirlo role but he would need 2/3 brutes protecting him. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

The agenda that just made up? The fact everyone says he took a paycut to come here and seems a good lad?

2 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

To create chances you need movement ahead of you. The only movement seemed to come from Sanson. Everyone else seemed to be going through the motions. Coutinho was complicit in this but when on the ball he had very little options.

His shooting though literally aimed for the stars. 

Coutinho is no longer a wide player but he’s not a midfielder so that only leaves the bench or up front as a second striker.

Maybe at a stretch he could re-invent himself in the old Pirlo role but he would need 2/3 brutes protecting him. 

Coutinho isn't hiding he's actively wanting to get on the ball and he doesn't lose possession often when he has it. You're right he isn't getting the movement around him he needs

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Coutinho isn't hiding he's actively wanting to get on the ball and he doesn't lose possession often when he has it. You're right he isn't getting the movement around him he needs

He only wants the possession in 'easy spaces' we can all see what he's doing, he doesn't show in tight areas and he doesn't make run to get into dangerous areas.

He drops off, where nobody follows him, receives the ball with his back to goal, jinks to go outside ( he doesn't, because we all know he can't run) , comes inside - smashes it or passes it sideways.

He doesn't even see forward passes yet alone make them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

Carragher said something interesting about the pitch being too big for him. That’s why I think he’d be okay as a second striker or in the old Pirlo role when he reinvented himself into a deep lying playmaker. 

Â