V Sport Investments Ltd - More Villa Clubs around the world?

MotoMkali

4 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Makes me laugh when I see people on here saying loan our young players to Vitoria! they are a top tier Portuguese team who have European football next season not our feeder team. I’m fairly sure the investment in them isn’t for Aston Villa’s benefit.

Agree, I'd have thought it was s'more about the network out there, invest in their academy, watch a lot of youth football or share scout reports with the aim of getting some young talent from the likes of Porto and Benfica which can weaken those teams (it won't, they'll still dominate) whilst at the same time giving us an outlet should we want to sign youngsters who can't get a UK work permit or need some time in europe acclimatising  rather than in brum

I don't see us sending archer there

I think we can take it as a given that some of our youngsters will be going to Vitoria eventually, won't be just any youngster who happens to have played well in some U21 games or whatever, will have to be those young players that have already proven themselves capable at first team level for Vitoria to be interested, so next season I think the likes of Aaron Ramsey, Philogene, Iroegbunam, Archer and Dhuran will come into contention for a loan there, I wouldn't complain at any of those being part of our first team squad, so it's not as if we would be giving them poor players, they would be players that they probably would be happy to have as options for them regardless of whether we had a link up or not, and it's not as if taking young academy players from England would be a new thing for them, in recent seasons they've taken Jacob Maddox, Marcus Edwards, and Easah Sulliman, and other academy players like Angel Gomes and Danny Loader have recently gone to teams in Portugal and done well, there are probably other examples too.

"I think the likes of Aaron Ramsey, Philogene, Iroegbunam, Archer and Dhuran will come into contention for a loan there" 🧐...  But only contention, there will be other factors at play, in some cases might be that we want them for our squad, might be that we find more suitable loans for them elsewhere, could be that regardless how well such and such a player has done Vitoria might feel that that player doesn't suit their system, or could just be that the player in question doesn't fancy a move to Portugal.

So we won't be dumping a load of players on them, some summers they might not take any, other summers if players have done well enough and every else is equal they might take one or two, I doubt we will ever see a situation where half their team is players on loan from us, but on occassion they might have one or two.

On 18/05/2023 at 05:49, Zatman said:

I still despise the investment in other clubs. Much rather if building an empire to set up own clubs and build up instead of trying to takeover clubs with history and legacy

I would have hated when PSG were linked briefly to do similar to us in Championship

how long would it take one of those clubs to just reach a professional level?  I think that's really the problem with this as the owners probably are not interested in funding a rise to the top club that takes the better part of a decade to bear fruit for them. To your point on taking over clubs with history and legacy, I remember when we were linked with Red Bull a long time ago... Would've been massive for us, but we probably would've lost the claret & Blue and would be called Red Bull Aston Villa. I look at the clubs which they bought, they completely changed the whole club, from name to colors, and tried to get rid of some history. 

Like I don't think V Sport will go in and change names of clubs who they invest in. 

11 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Makes me laugh when I see people on here saying loan our young players to Vitoria! they are a top tier Portuguese team who have European football next season not our feeder team. I’m fairly sure the investment in them isn’t for Aston Villa’s benefit.

Top tier is a bit of a stretch. They’re 20 points behind the team above them 😂

The gulf is massive. Top 4 in Portugal would do okay in PL. Vitoria would struggle in the Chsmpionship.

6 minutes ago, duke313 said:

The gulf is massive. Top 4 in Portugal would do okay in PL. Vitoria would struggle in the Chsmpionship.

They are 5th with a minus goal difference

I'm ambivalent regarding the ethics of multi-club models, but I do think it's notable and a good thing that Vitoria's members have ultimately had the final decision (and maintain a majority of shares). Significantly better than taking over a club and placing them into one without the supporters having a say.

Edited by wishywashy

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

How often do new MLS franchises come around?  Any chance of Vegas still being on the cards in the next couple of years?  Must have been a bit of a blow for NSWE not to get it.

Apparently has been 11 new teams since 2015

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

How often do new MLS franchises come around?  Any chance of Vegas still being on the cards in the next couple of years?  Must have been a bit of a blow for NSWE not to get it.

They come around fairly often & I think the league wants to continue to expand. Maybe they want to get to 32 teams like the NFL? They’re at 30 now. 

6 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

They come around fairly often & I think the league wants to continue to expand. Maybe they want to get to 32 teams like the NFL? They’re at 30 now. 

I would not be surprised if they want to expand into the 40-50 team range with two leagues of 20-25 clubs each. Besides the quality, one of the big knocks on MLS is no promotion/relegation. The owners love it, guaranteed MLS money with no risk of losing out. Creating a closed shop two-tier league will provide fans with the promotion/relegation but still provide owners with the peace of mind that their club will never drop below MLS 2nd tier level.

I think Vegas is still very much on if NSWE want it to be.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, duke313 said:

Last time I checked the Primeira liga was the top tier of football in Portugal?

They are around 30 points behind there league leaders? Seem familiar 😂🙈

The changes to Vitoria's board of directors (and the constitution changes per the vote earlier) have now been ratified. Curiously, rather than appointing representatives to fill the 2 seats V Sports now have on a board of 5 directors (as Vitoria fans expected), they've been taken directly by Sawiris and Edens, which suggests they'll be quite actively involved with the club.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wishywashy said:

The changes to Vitoria's board of directors (and the constitution changes per the vote earlier) have now been ratified. Curiously, rather than appointing representatives to fill the 2 seats V Sports now have on a board of 5 directors (as Vitoria fans expected), they've been taken directly by Sawiris and Edens, which suggests they'll be quite actively involved with the club.

I wonder if that is going to be the approach that they take for other possible clubs that we are looking to invest in.... But does that fall afoul of the UEFA rules?

On 22/05/2023 at 18:04, I Make Pies said:

Benito and Rodriguez appear to be Emery recommendations. Benito used to share a room with Emery when they played together at Toledo back in the 90s, and was also at PSG and Arsenal as a scout while Emery was there.

Rodriguez was at Villareal and Valencia with Emery.

It seems we are going all in on Emery and his staff. That should help maximise what he is able to do for us, however I hope there is a succession plan in place (I'm sure there is knowing our board). When you are invested in one person/group of staff to that extent a break can hurt more than usual. There was never a plan put in place for the post-MON era.

Was there a plan for Gerard post Beale 😂

4 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

I wonder if that is going to be the approach that they take for other possible clubs that we are looking to invest in.... But does that fall afoul of the UEFA rules?

Yeah I thought you could not directly own 2 clubs in the same competition.  Should we qualify for Europa Conference then good chance they will be in it too.  Conflict of interest surely.

If you are reading Nas and Wes I volunteer my name to be used for a small fee say my season ticket costs 😜 

4 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

The UEFA rules are really lax and a complete copout: afaik we wouldn't fall foul of them as we only have a minority stake anyway. Even if we had a majority stake, arguing that the day to day running of the club is led by different people would probably be fine with UEFA too. RB Salzburg and RB Leipzig can play in the same competition and are considered to be under different ownership (????) by UEFA for this reason.

3 hours ago, S-Platt said:

Yeah I thought you could not directly own 2 clubs in the same competition.  Should we qualify for Europa Conference then good chance they will be in it too.  Conflict of interest surely.

If you are reading Nas and Wes I volunteer my name to be used for a small fee say my season ticket costs 😜 

They've already qualified by the looks of it...

...but I think there's a technically that V Sports (Nas/Wes) don't actually own Vitoria.  They just have a stake.

The sort of financial loopholes we love in football.

• 1 month later...

https://vitoriasc.pt/en/2023/06/29/comunicado-7/

The V Sports fund announced this Thursday that it reduced its stake in Vitória Sport Clube – Futebol SAD to 29% by transferring 17% of shares back to Vitória Sport Clube.

Likewise, V Sports no longer has any representative in the administration of SAD, in order to comply with all UEFA determinations and ensure the independence of both sports societies: Vitória Sport Clube – Futebol SAD and Aston Villa FC.
This Friday, Vitória Sport Clube will provide all the necessary clarifications regarding this matter.

Â