Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

People need to chill.

As I reckon we are in WHEN , not IF territory.

Unless we go on a 5 match winning run or something, starting with Chelsea which we know ain't happening.

If for nothing else, they must realise most the fans are done, which is counterproductive for the club as a whole.

We can defondebate the timing though IMO.

I totally agree mate, and I for my part I could chill out....

However what is stopping me is that if this was any other manager, he would be gone already.

It's a disgrace that people like Purslow are "hoping" this sorts itself out, hoping because they need to save face.

Right now there is absolutely no logical reason he should be here still.

This decision could potentially put us down a league, and for anyone calling me hysterical, make sure you can guarantee it won't happen when you do.

This World Cup is going to be very disruptive and I don't want to be teetering on, or even worse in, the relegation spots.

I don't think I am hysterical (at least not at the moment 😅) and I feel we are looking like one of three worst teams in league. 

We are not one of the three worst teams in league, we are being made to look that way by and extremely incompetent manager AND mostly useless backroom staff I might add.

I've been told I'm a shit supporter for wanting us to lose, but I have our best interests at heart.

Like you said, just gotta wait this out 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

Ah the old “I’m a better fan because I support Gerrard” bollocks. Piss off with that crap. You could argue you aren’t a better fan for supporting Gerrard. Stop with that crap. 

Don't misrepresent me. I'm not saying about being a "better fan".  I'm saying if you want the opposition to batter us you aren't a fan of the club - so go and support somebody else. You are not a fan. Clear as crystal. I'm not saying anything about supporting Gerrard. Support or abuse whichever individual you choose. 

5 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Appointing Gerrard 11 months ago, investing in him and now sacking him isn't a good thing. The club has failed with this appointment. 

Fine - but they tried, and I hope will try again. 

1 minute ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Compared to Gerrard still being here, Smith was wrongly sacked.

I was actually all for Smith being sacked, if you can be bothered you'll find my opinions at the time.

Smith shouldn't have been sacked for an L plate manager.

Under the same criteria Smith was sacked, Gerrard should be long gone too.

You can keep pushing your narrative about us hating him cos we loved Smith and you can keep ignoring the facts too. Your entitled to that right, but I'm entitled to point out how wrong you are!

So in 12 months time you will say Gerrard was wrongly sacked? 🤣

Anyway, I am not talking about Smith anymore - he is in the past and has no relevance to what Gerrard is doing or not doing as manager.

9 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Appointing Gerrard 11 months ago, investing in him and now sacking him isn't a good thing. The club has failed with this appointment. 

That's just how the game is. The long term benefits outweigh any comp we give him.

13 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

This theory is rubbish though.

It's not difficult to understand why people would take one or two defeats in the extreme short term, in hope that the manager is sacked - to then have a MUCH better future short, medium and long term.

Disagree. I believe it will have a worse effect on morale and leave us in a worse place. I rather be sacking Gerrard from a position of strength (unbeaten, drawing games) rather than being "battered" by teams.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

So in 12 months time you will say Gerrard was wrongly sacked? 🤣

Anyway, I am not talking about Smith anymore - he is in the past and has no relevance to what Gerrard is doing or not doing as manager.

I think you will find that when Gerard is sacked, he will be in the same category as Steve Bruce, we are all happy that they are gone.

10 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

I think you will find that when Gerard is sacked, he will be in the same category as Steve Bruce, we are all happy that they are gone.

Irony is... The longer they drag this out, the worse his reputation gets. ( Bar a miracle turnaround OBS )

There is actually an argument that if they moved quickly, he could very much still have a career.

Obviously would need to build from a lower level or overseas like other Managers though.

So in a roundabout way, it's actually affecting his own career prospects.

He does look like he's aged since he's joined though.... We proper do a number or people 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Compared to Gerrard still being here, Smith was wrongly sacked.

I was actually all for Smith being sacked, if you can be bothered searching you'll find my opinions at the time.

Smith shouldn't have been sacked for an L plate manager.

Under the same criteria Smith was sacked, Gerrard should be long gone too.

You can keep pushing your narrative about us hating him cos we loved Smith and you can keep ignoring the facts too. Your entitled to that right, but I'm entitled to point out how wrong you are!

Is there anyone actually saying that Smith was rightfully sacked but Gerrard shouldn't be though? It'd be a weird position to hold for sure but I don't think anyone actually holds it.

Edited by Mantis
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Don't misrepresent me. I'm not saying about being a "better fan".  I'm saying if you want the opposition to batter us you aren't a fan of the club - so go and support somebody else. You are not a fan. Clear as crystal. I'm not saying anything about supporting Gerrard. Support or abuse whichever individual you choose. 

So you're not a better fan than "not a fan"?

I'm not there yet on wanting to get beat to get rid of SG, but only because I'm weak and a hammering by Chelsea will ruin my week. I completely understand how people could be for it though.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Is there anyone actually saying that Smith was rightfully sacked but Gerrard shouldn't be though? It'd be a weird position to hold for sure but I don't think anyone actually holds it.

Yes, hence why I had to bring it up

56 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Irony is... The longer they drag this out, the worse his reputation gets. ( Bar a miracle turnaround OBS )

There is actually an argument that if they moved quickly, he could very much still have a career.

Obviously would need to build from a lower level or overseas like other Managers though.

So in a roundabout way, it's actually affecting his own career prospects.

He does look like he's aged since he's joined though.... We proper do a number or people 😂

most of them do.

34 minutes ago, El Segundo said:

So you're  saying it's a failure for the club to sack him for being a failure, so they shouldn't sack him, even though he's failed.  

And you think we shouldn't sack a manager who is damaging the club enormously while failing because it would damage the club.

And because the club failed to make the right appointment we should not have any hope they will do any better with the next one, so instead we should just keep the incumbent failure and let him keep failing in the hope that eventually he stops failing, with no evidence to suggest that will ever happen.

Just a wild stab in the dark but I'm guessing you've never studied logic.

No. I am not saying that. I am saying  he was appointed 11 months ago, a lot of investment pumped into his ideas and now he is on the verge of being sacked - that is a sign that the club is struggling and failing internally, which goes above and beyond the Gerrard question.

You are clearly exaggerating and catastrophizing about Gerrard's management too - "damaging the club enormously"?  That is OTT. Simply untrue. Calmly...the truth is we aren't getting winning results and the football is dour. I believe it is resolvable not fatal.

And if Gerrard is doing really bad, why are we confident that next appointment will successful? The same people who appointed Gerrard are still here and will be making the decisions.  "The will learn from their mistakes" - Oh so they can but Gerrard can't - great logic. Nice double standards too.

Sacking him is justifiable in many cases, doesn't mean your dream fantasy will play out. And then will the goal posts move again?  I suppose a new target will emerge. This is unsustainable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Segundo said:

So you're  saying it's a failure for the club to sack him for being a failure, so they shouldn't sack him, even though he's failed.  

And you think we shouldn't sack a manager who is damaging the club enormously while failing because it would damage the club.

And because the club failed to make the right appointment we should not have any hope they will do any better with the next one, so instead we should just keep the incumbent failure and let him keep failing in the hope that eventually he stops failing, with no evidence to suggest that will ever happen.

Just a wild stab in the dark but I'm guessing you've never studied logic.

also........but maybe you should study alternatives, too.

what if the next manager, can't get a tune out of this squad.....what then?

I am not saying, we should stay with the status quo, for that reason.....because this form cannot continue......but what if, that was the case?

We are pretty unanimous, its all on him.....but what if it isn't, and the next guy is just as bad.

just a reminder.....we have had 9 managers since Martin O'Neill, none with a win % above 45%......and ironically that was Steve Bruce ( albeit in the championship)

Since 1926 we have never had a manager with a 50% win percentage.....That to me is a frightening scenario.

Even Eric Houghton the last FA cup winning manager ( 1957) win% was less than SG's

We have no record in the last hundred years of consistent winning managers....something to think about when appointing the next one.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

A couple wanted Smith sacked even when he was doing relatively well let alone when he lost 5 in a row, but are backing Gerrard now. It doesn't follow any sort of logic. They set their stalls out before both appointments and they have to see it through til the end 😂 

• Like 2

Â