Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

3 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

What do we owe him? What has he done to prove he’s going to take us where we want to go? We’ve improved by something like 0.09 points per game and a 2% increase in win percent since he arrived. Now we’re hearing talk of going to a back 5, we need a break not Gerrard 

Nothing. I wouldn't say that our improvement under SG has been massive but I still believe we can improve under SG (which we have done in a short sequence of games since Arsenal). I am critical and demanding but not a fatalist that is the difference. Personally, I hope the club calmly look at the situation after Brighton.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

17 points in the last 19 games, 8 points this season in 8 games and only scored 6 goals in the 3rd easiest fixture start so there doesn’t need any imagination.

Not scoring against Leeds was shocking. Losing our first game against Bournemouth spoke volumes and what to expect this season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Villa_Vids said:

Nothing. I wouldn't say that our improvement under SG has been massive but I still believe we can improve under SG (which we have done in a short sequence of games since Arsenal). I am critical and demanding but not a fatalist that is the difference. Personally, I hope the club calmly look at the situation after Brighton.

Yes I saw the improvement, watching Leeds and Southampton. 2 of the worse Villa games I've seen since the McLeish days. Southgate would be proud of his trying not to lose more than win game mentality.

If he's not already in survival mode, his tactics are worse than anyone realises.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Yes I saw the improvement, watching Leeds and Southampton. 2 of the worse Villa games I've seen since the McLeish days. Southgate would be proud of his trying not to lose more than win game mentality.

If he's not already in survival mode, his tactics are worse than anyone realises.

Have to agree that 2nd half against Southampton was nearly falling asleep, the football is just dreadful how anyone is hoping he will come good is deluded, we need to get rid whilst some top managers are still out of a job and not do it when we are left with the usual names being bounded about

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

No. We had Jack.

Leicester won the League with worse players than they have now, as well. lol

West Ham got into Europe with worse players than they have now.

Liverpool are " struggling " with an arguably much stronger squad than they had last season.

All struggling so far this season.

The lack of context and pinning a mast to that season without nuance is quite frustrating.

Different seasons can't be judged with one ruler for multiple reasons.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Villa_Vids said:

We can't just sack our way to success. Not sustainable.

What a ridiculous statement.  That's pretty much what every successful club has done and will continue to do.  City sacked Mancini to get Pep in, and sacked Pellegrini before that and sacked Hughes before that.  Liverpool sacked Hodgson to get Klopp in.  West Ham sacked Pelegrini to get Moyes in,  Arsenal sacked Emery to get Arteta.  All improved with the new guys. If it hadn't, they would have sacked them until they found someone who could improve them.     

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Different interpretations. I saw us beat Southampton in a defensive manner (which detractors said Gerrard was unable to do weeks ago) and us nullify a strong Leeds team at Elland Road but failed to crush them in the 2nd half with our sloppy finishing in front of goal and against 10 men. Hardly the worst of performances I have seen during the past few years. Is it sustainable? No.  It is a start. A building block. Can we improve? Yes. I believe so. Gerrard's job depends on it.

1 minute ago, El Segundo said:

What a ridiculous statement.  That's pretty much what every successful club has done and will continue to do.  City sacked Mancini to get Pep in, and sacked Pellegrini before that and sacked Hughes before that.  Liverpool sacked Hodgson to get Klopp in.  West Ham sacked Pelegrini to get Moyes in,  Arsenal sacked Emery to get Arteta.  All improved with the new guys. If it hadn't, they would have sacked them until they found someone who could improve them.     

Watford? 🤣

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I said he’s doing that and continuing.  He has 17 points in the last 19 games, Luiz is looking to leave because he isn’t playing, our revenue was less last season because of where Gerrard ended us in the league so it is happening.  

Do you think any quality players are looking at us favourably to come in the January transfer window based on current performances and points total this season.

You say it’s pure fiction but it’s slowly happening as we speak.  Are we looking a positive place to come to for players? The media  talking about hard we are to watch the last two games!  You can deny all you want but it’s developing under our eyes.

We are just going around in circles. The core belief that we both share is we want Villa to progress, we both have different ideas on how that happens which I respect and appreciate.

There is a great pool of players available to us and many other clubs. If players don't want to come to Villa, it is their lost imo. I won't be crying over them.

As for the media. I don't take moral lessons from the media. Especially a sporting media that backs the Saudi takeover of Newcastle with great fanfare and without any moral quibbles. They are the greatest hypocrites. People like us are the only ones who care about the well being of Villa, disagreements or not.

3 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Different interpretations. I saw us beat Southampton in a defensive manner (which detractors said Gerrard was unable to do weeks ago) and us nullify a strong Leeds team at Elland Road but failed to crush them in the 2nd half with our sloppy finishing in front of goal and against 10 men. Hardly the worst of performances I have seen during the past few years. Is it sustainable? No.  It is a start. A building block. Can we improve? Yes. I believe so. Gerrard's job depends on it.

The same strong Leeds team that got turned over 5-2 by Brentford the previous game? And got beat 2-1 today. Come on 

Just now, IrishVilla10 said:

The same strong Leeds team that got turned over 5-2 by Brentford the previous game? And got beat 2-1 today. Come on 

"Elland Road" The same team that smashed Chelsea?

Edited by Villa_Vids

8 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

We are just going around in circles. The core belief that we both share is we want Villa to progress, we both have different ideas on how that happens which I respect and appreciate.

I agree.  Enjoy your evening and let’s hope we smash Forest tomorrow night.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I always find it amusing when you see posters who felt 55 pts wasn't good enough now try to tell us these players are no good. 

Folk who try to downplay the quality of our squad presumably also don't rate the likes of Almiron, Jacob Murphy, Joel Ward, Jeff Schlupp, every Bournemouth player etc, yet I'm watching them most weeks benefit from good coaching and raise their performance levels. This is literally Gerrard's job.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Watford? 🤣

Some clubs get it wrong time after time, but most eventually find  a manager who can improve them.  Do you think Watford would be any better off if they hadn't sacked any of the managers that were failing them?   I doubt it.

2 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

And haven’t won a game since, what’s your point? I don’t want to nullify Leeds I want to beat them

Leeds have been stronger at Elland Road, that was my point.

Same. I want us to beat them too. Watkins' finishing was one of the reasons we didn't. Gerrard can't take the cop for players not doing their job when he has set up a system that requires them to be reliable and score. 

1 minute ago, Villa_Vids said:

Same. I want us to beat them too. Watkins' finishing was one of the reasons we didn't. Gerrard can't take the cop for players not doing their job when he has set up a system that requires them to be reliable and score. 

Bur he can and should take the blame for not taking Watkins off and giving Archer a chance.

3 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Fair enough re Elland road. 82 minutes he waited to do something about it though, sounds all too familiar. It’s the same narrative the rangers fans have about Gerrard 

Â