Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, AshVilla said:

I remember when people were saying similar when Sherwood was manager.

We left it far too late getting rid of him, would rather not make the same mistake again.

I agree, but there is still lots of time to sack him if necessary. If he gets past the Oct international break I think he is here for the season. If we are still looking wobbly, he may get to mid Nov and the WC break but that would be the last cutoff point in my view

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Things were far different before the draw. I'll stick to my view, others can obviously change there's, but I am confident they will regret it!

As for winning this winning that, it's all conjecture, we have still won 3 in 15 under Gerrard, at the moment that hasn't changed. A win against Leicester won't change a thing, they are useless. Southampton is a team we should be beating, but because of this 'learner' in charge I certainly wouldn't bet on it.

so just to clarify, this is your answer to the question i posed that if we get 6+ wins before the world cup which includes a win vs united at home which a shitload of other villa managers have not been able to manage plus progressing through the cup, you'd still want him out?

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

Yes, he could do it elsewhere. However, the club has made a conscious decision for him to do it at AVFC. Regardless of whether you believe this is the correct or incorrect decision, it is the decision the club has made. On that basis, it would be very shortsighted of the club to sack SG after a relatively short period as manager and only 6 games into the season. The challenging part of employing a novice manager is the initial period, we are nearly through this period so it makes sense to give SG time, particularly so as we are not under threat of relegation

If you don't think we are under threat of relegation you must be reading the league table wrong.

Obviously there is no immediate risk of relegation because it's early in the season.   But you have to look at the bigger picture, and all the signs point to us being under serious threat if we stick with Gerrard.  We have already given him time to "learn".  30 odd games.  Is that not enough? That in itself was ridiculously risky in the multi billion dollar business that is the PL, and it is plenty to be able to tell if a manager can cut the mustard or not.   He has shown scant indication of improvement or having learned anything.  If anything, we have gone backwards, on and off the pitch.  Can you think of any other multi million/billion pound business where a novice would be given 9-10 months in charge, fail to show any improvement, take the organisation backwards, and still be in a job?

Of course there is a risk to bringing in a new manager who might not be up to the job.  But some would argue could he be any worse than Gerrard, and also the earlier we get him in and see the more chance we have of fixing that without going down as well. Or should we also give that individual time to learn on the job as well? If so how many games will it take?. 

I think some people's judgement is clouded because it's big-name Stevie -G we're talking about.         

27 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

There are multiple elements of risk to keeping SG. Purslow needs to assess these and assess what risks are acceptable. Currently, there is no risk of relegation so that it not a concern. However, he now has to assess whether sacking SG now would result in a higher finish at the end of the season. This is not as straightforward an assessment as fans may like to suggest it is. 1) There is a risk with getting any new manager in and the new guy many not work out as planned. 2) The financial implications need to be considered 3) He needs to consider if SG is on the cusp of showing he can learn and improve and become the manager we are looking for.

As with the clouded judgement of many fans, many have the inability to not let bias influence their decision making. It would be naive to believe that a point to City at the weekend means everything is now smelling of roses. Yes, some fans are saying that he should be given a bit more time on the back of that result but that is a normal reaction. We played well, SG had a good performance as manager so he is showing the first glimpses of improvement. Surely, it would make sense to see can he continue to improve rather than just sack him now. It is very normal for a manager to take a bit of time to adapt to a new club and a new league

Currently out of the bottom 3 only on goals scored, three points off last place who we play next week, and longer term we’ve only picked up 13 points from the last 17 games which is relegation form across nearly half a season’s worth of fixtures. Maybe it’s a low probability but certainly saying “no risk” of relegation is not based on the reality of the current and recent situation 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

so just to clarify, this is your answer to the question i posed that if we get 6+ wins before the world cup which includes a win vs united at home which a shitload of other villa managers have not been able to manage plus progressing through the cup, you'd still want him out?

Obviously not, I do not like him for the sake of it, it's a results business, an if they don't improve I still want him out. But it's gonna take more than a win against a poor Leicester and a draw against Southampton to change my mind. As for 6 wins before the world cup, you obviously think we have turned a corner if you think that's gonna happen, it ain't!!

11 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

If you don't think we are under threat of relegation you must be reading the league table wrong.

I don't think I am, the first column is 'MP' which refers to 'Matches Played' and this shows 6. That mean there are 32 games remaining and 96 points still to play for. Knowing the squad we have, that suggests to me no threat of relegation 

2 hours ago, tomsky_11 said:

Yep this. Man City first half xG was around 0.32, but 0.25 of that was the Kyle Walker chance that wouldn't have counted had he scored as was offside so shouldn't really could in xG. So effectively we kept one of the best teams in the world to 0.07 xG in first half, while we had 0.14 from the Watkins blocked effort.

Second half the highest xG chance besides the goal (0.6 xG) was apparently the De Bruyne first time chance from the left that he sliced wide, at 0.44xG, which watching back doesn't look anything like as clear a chance as xG suggests. They then had 3 or 4 chances around 0.1 xG: the free kick plus a couple of 12 yard out efforts while on the turn or under pressure which were pretty much all straight at Martinez. Meanwhile, our biggest chance of the half doesn't score in conventional xG records as Ramsey, through one-on-one with Ederson, failed to get a shot off.

An excellent reminder of why xG isn't everything!!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

Currently out of the bottom 3 only on goals scored, three points off last place who we play next week, and longer term we’ve only picked up 13 points from the last 17 games which is relegation form across nearly half a season’s worth of fixtures. Maybe it’s a low probability but certainly saying “no risk” of relegation is not based on the reality of the current and recent situation 

I am basing it on the amount of games to play, quality of our squad. Just about everyone that wants SG sacked are saying that he is the problem and not the players. With so few games played, Purslow has lots of time to sack SG if he doesn't show improvement

• Like 1

I would say he's at the stage whereby one more blip over the next few games could be the end. I don't think you can sack him after the City game(I would), but he cannot be let off as in us seeing another 5 games of garbage. It's unacceptable with the players and time he has had in the role to be this disorganised. I think he's back on probation tbh, whether he can get through it is another matter altogether.  

2 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I would say he's at the stage whereby one more blip over the next few games could be the end. I don't think you can sack him after the City game(I would), but he cannot be let off as in us seeing another 5 games of garbage. It's unacceptable with the players and time he has had in the role to be this disorganised. I think he's back on probation tbh, whether he can get through it is another matter altogether.  

I agree with that, very much on probation. Purslow will not risk a relegation battle and won't be afraid to replace him. SG needs to deliver in the next 4 to 6 weeks

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

I don't think I am, the first column is 'MP' which refers to 'Matches Played' and this shows 6. That mean there are 32 games remaining and 96 points still to play for. Knowing the squad we have, that suggests to me no threat of relegation 

We have won 3 in the last 16 games played so far including the end of last season, to me that ain't looking to pretty! Ohh, but hang on we just drew against Man City the best team in the world on full form??? I admire positivity, but I think there maybe more chance Liz Truss totally changes the direction on the Tory party.

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think only 6 points, and convincing performances would make some people consider some patience.

I haven't jumped back to " SG in " but you know the bloke is hated when people are finding every reason under the sun why a point against Man City isn't so good. Lol

I personally want 6, as that would balance out the terrible start.

Where I’m at, we need to run the next two. I’m most worried about Leicester, they can’t keep losing but if we play well they are there for the taking.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

We have won 3 in the last 16 games played so far including the end of last season, to me that ain't looking to pretty! Ohh, but hang on we just drew against Man City the best team in the world on full form??? I admire positivity, but I think there maybe more chance Liz Truss totally changes the direction on the Tory party.

The result on Sat doesn't change my view. It was a good performance and a welcome point but one swallow does not a summer make. SG needs to show that he can deliver. 

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I think its 7 wins from 28 in 2022 which is dreadful and probably in the bottom 5 for the calendar year

• Shocked 1

12 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Obviously not, I do not like him for the sake of it, it's a results business, an if they don't improve I still want him out. But it's gonna take more than a win against a poor Leicester and a draw against Southampton to change my mind. As for 6 wins before the world cup, you obviously think we have turned a corner if you think that's gonna happen, it ain't!!

i've already said i doubt it will:

43 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i'll be very surprised if the above happens make no mistake

but just because some are at least open to the idea that he might turn it around, it doesn't mean that anyone's been 'brainwashed'. it's just nice to go to leicester with a feeling of optimism for a change

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, El Segundo said:

Obviously there is no immediate risk of relegation because it's early in the season.   But you have to look at the bigger picture, and all the signs point to us being under serious threat if we stick with Gerrard.  We have already given him time to "learn".  30 odd games.  Is that not enough? That in itself was ridiculously risky in the multi billion dollar business that is the PL, and it is plenty to be able to tell if a manager can cut the mustard or not.   He has shown scant indication of improvement or having learned anything.  If anything, we have gone backwards, on and off the pitch.  Can you think of any other multi million/billion pound business where a novice would be given 9-10 months in charge, fail to show any improvement, take the organisation backwards, and still be in a job?

Of course there is a risk to bringing in a new manager who might not be up to the job.  But some would argue could he be any worse than Gerrard, and also the earlier we get him in and see the more chance we have of fixing that without going down as well. Or should we also give that individual time to learn on the job as well? If so how many games will it take?. 

I think some people's judgement is clouded because it's big-name Stevie -G we're talking about.         

I am not sure I have seen people's judgement clouded by SG's name. I have seen me and others want to give him more time to try and prove he can do the job as we are only 6 games into this season. If he can do it great, if he can't then he should be sacked regardless of what his name is

40 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Praying for 6 points from the next two. Anything less than 3 from Leicester I'd sack him. 

Saints will be more tricky as they're a bogey team for us. 

They also have a match winner in JWP that can score the goals necessary even if the team isn't playing well

Â