Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

Exactly no top level manager should be learning on the job, he should have followed the same path as Vieira. Possibly challenge himself in a different country after the Rangers job.

Worthwhile noting Rooney also went back the USA. Saying he can grow and learn his management style outside the limelight of the PL. 

Edited by pas5898
typo
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think only 6 points, and convincing performances would make some people consider some patience.

I haven't jumped back to " SG in " but you know the bloke is hated when people are finding every reason under the sun why a point against Man City isn't so good. Lol

I personally want 6, as that would balance out the terrible start.

I think the most important thing is to show the City game wasn't a one off and to back it up with performances.

I'm sure Gerrard will be bullish after that result, but he has to understand the how's and why's, his introspection needs to go deeper, and span more than just one game.

If we revert to the same formation, featuring the same players that have failed so miserably before, then no lessons have been learned and he'll be on his way.

I think 4 points would probably be enough to hold on to his job, but it would depend how those results are achieved, if we scrape a win and a draw, that's probably not good enough. If we play well in both games and look like winning both, but for a controversial decision or a rather large slice of bad luck, that's different. 

We need to be able to see progress in the performances first and foremost.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Did you enjoy the 7 - 2 win against Liverpool?

Or did you spend the days after it pointing out that they were off so we had nothing to be happy about in every other post?. If they were on it they surely would have destroyed us?

Are other teams happy when they get points against City?

We're Newcatle fans happy with their 2 - 2?

So the fact that other teams have beat them in the past means that a result against them isn't good?

They are still the Champions, which indicates that they beat and get more points than all the other teams in the League consistently.

I'm not saying I wasn't happy with the result, I was like everyone. I just don't think we should consider it so amazing that we now should now give Gerrard the time he don't deserve, after just that game, when previous 99% of fan wanted him out.

Put it this way. If we lost say 4-1 against man City, fans would have wanted Gerrard gone still. But apparently Man City are the best team in the world and played their best (which I don't believe), so why should it make any difference to Gerrards position if we lost against a team most consider to be so far ahead of us a draw was an amazing result.

Nothing has changed.  Wait to we need a game plan to break down Lec and Southampton. 

Our front 3 wont be given the luxury of space to run into that City gave.  It will be norm service resumes of teams playing narrow against us and we won’t have a notion what to do. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, paul514 said:

He can do his YTS as a PL manager somewhere else.

Yes, he could do it elsewhere. However, the club has made a conscious decision for him to do it at AVFC. Regardless of whether you believe this is the correct or incorrect decision, it is the decision the club has made. On that basis, it would be very shortsighted of the club to sack SG after a relatively short period as manager and only 6 games into the season. The challenging part of employing a novice manager is the initial period, we are nearly through this period so it makes sense to give SG time, particularly so as we are not under threat of relegation

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

Yes, he could do it elsewhere. However, the club has made a conscious decision for him to do it at AVFC. Regardless of whether you believe this is the correct or incorrect decision, it is the decision the club has made. On that basis, it would be very shortsighted of the club to sack SG after a relatively short period as manager and only 6 games into the season. The challenging part of employing a novice ref is the initial period, we are nearly through this period so it makes sense to give SG time, particularly so as we are not under threat of relegation

How are we not under threat of relegation? We have lost to 3 of the worse teams in the league so far this season

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Some of Gerrards biggest supporters on here wanted Smith sacked way before he reached that amount of Premier league games. 

There are lots of people on here that demonstrate they can't make a decision without letting bias influence it. Sacking Deano after such a short period in the PL would have been stupid and fortunately NSWE are not stupid and stuck with Deano and he went on to retain our PL status. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

Yes, he could do it elsewhere. However, the club has made a conscious decision for him to do it at AVFC. Regardless of whether you believe this is the correct or incorrect decision, it is the decision the club has made. On that basis, it would be very shortsighted of the club to sack SG after a relatively short period as manager and only 6 games into the season. The challenging part of employing a novice ref is the initial period, we are nearly through this period so it makes sense to give SG time, particularly so as we are not under threat of relegation

Why are we not under threat of relegation? More time means more risk. I just cannot comprehend how a draw at Man City has fans into thinking Gerrard is now worth more time, it's just bonkers. Still 3 wins out of 15, as good as bottom of the league, McGinn Captain, Brighton pulling away from us like they are a top 4 team, it's crazy, he needs to go!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

Which is also the reason I was concerned about his appointment in the first place. Clearly rightly so.

Our club is not some rookie manager training scheme.

I don't see anything wrong with concern about employing SG and him being a novice manager. He was not my choice of manager and I wanted a more experienced manager brought in. But, we can only deal with the cards we are dealt and like it or not the club make the decision to employ SG. It would be crazy imo to sack him now having gone through the pain and cost of bringing in a novice. 

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Why are we not under threat of relegation? More time means more risk. I just cannot comprehend how a draw at Man City has fans into thinking Gerrard is now worth more time, it's just bonkers. Still 3 wins out of 15, as good as bottom of the league, McGinn Captain, Brighton pulling away from us like they are a top 4 team, it's crazy, he needs to go!!

32 games remaining i.e. 96 points to play for. 

Our squad is easily good enough to remain in the PL and I don't believe there is any possible chance we will go down. If it was Feb/Mar then it would be a completely different story but it is September. If SG can't get us up the table we have ample time to replace him with someone else

4 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

32 games remaining i.e. 96 points to play for. 

Our squad is easily good enough to remain in the PL and I don't believe there is any possible chance we will go down. If it was Feb/Mar then it would be a completely different story but it is September. If SG can't get us up the table we have ample time to replace him with someone else

So staying up is acceptable for you? This is an embarrassing take and shows how low the standards of some fans are now with Gerrard in charge

He is so shit that he brainwashed fans into accepting crap

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

So staying up is acceptable for you? This is an embarrassing take and shows how low the standards of some fans are now with Gerrard in charge

He is so shit that he brainwashed fans into accepting crap

As usual, you are making stuff about other people's comments and trying to deflect. Finish the current conversation first and I will move on to discussion where I feel is acceptable. Changing the goalposts with every second comment ruins debate. 

4 points from next two and I'll slowly start to change my mind.

Nothing less please as would mean losing to one of Leicester or Southampton at home which would be really really poor.

Up to Gerrard now. Of course point v Man. City is great but as said above Leicester and Southampton will be totally different games with more onus on us and not convinced we're going to have right answers in final third.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

4 points from next two and I'll slowly start to change my mind.

Nothing less please as would mean losing to one of Leicester or Southampton at home which would be really really poor.

Up to Gerrard now. Of course point v Man. City is great but as said above Leicester and Southampton will be totally different games with more onus on us and not convinced we're going to have right answers in final third.

I think SG needs a minimum of 4 points from the next two, if not 6 points. He has to be able to demonstrate to Purslow and NSWE that he is capable of learning and improving the team's performances. He has had the support from them and a preseason and a few games in this season. Now is the time for him to start to payback the support he has been given. Between now and the international break will determine if SG will remain as our manager 

• Like 1

Â