Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, TomC said:

Whether he beats Leicester and draws against Soton, or vice versa, I would agree, we need at least 4 points from 6. In a sense, we're in the same position we would have been if we had lost to City. Those two matches are absolutely crucial. And not just the results, but on whether his tactics make sense.

But when does this stop? 

If he gets 4 points is it then the next two games or does he get a pass for a month or two?

If its at this point then it really does feel pointless in continuing.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

But when does this stop? 

If he gets 4 points is it then the next two games or does he get a pass for a month or two?

If its at this point then it really does feel pointless in continuing.

We have 32 matches remaining. If he gets 4 points every 2 matches, that's 64 points on top of the 4 we already have for 68, which would have been 6th place last year. Yes, he gets a pass then!!!

Seriously...like I said before, I was slow to join the "Gerrard out" camp and I'll be slow to change my mind the other way. But I don't think that the execs were ever going to fire him until after the Soton game, maybe even a little beyond that. We may as well get behind him and see what happens. Maybe, as someone else put it above, he's had his road-to-Damascus moment. That's why I said that I will be watching his tactics as much as the results.

I've never thought he was stupid. I think he's reasonably intelligent. What I worried about is that he's stubborn, or that he lacks experience and judgment. That's why I, and probably others, find his tactical flexibility yesterday a tiny bit encouraging. The fact that he's subbed McGinn two matches in a row is also a bit encouraging.

Edited by TomC
Fixed typo

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

How are our stats worse when they are bottom of the League and we aren't?

People also need to stop this childish shite.

Are you all genuinely upset that we got a result yesterday and people are happy about it?

Leicester just got pumped by Brighton. " Because we got a point against City, you make it sound like a City of the Norwich or Birmingham variety " lol

What's more important, Villa doing well or your feelings towards Gerrard?

I don't get it.

" Gerrard is untouchable " how in the f*ck have you surmised that from people being positive about a positive result?

Are we meant to all be moaning non stop again?

What do you actually want here?

Some of you must legit feed off of negativity, in general.

There are a lot of people JV who simply want to see the back of Gerrard, fearing the man cannot take us forward - and the truth of this, is that some people are willing to accept some short term pain, in the hopes of a longer term gain, and if this means swallowing a couple of defeats in order to force the club to remove Gerrard, then I do believe that some, will see this as a price worth paying.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

The one thing I would say is that Gerrard did seem a bit more humble yesterday. Yes there was still a moment in his post match interview where I thought that’s good, now stop talking before you put your foot in it, but I wonder if someone has had a word and told him to ease off the stern, 90’s manager attitude a bit.

I was wondering the same thing...maybe he's talked to Carragher or one of his other mates that can tell him the truth and they've told him that we can all see your tactics aren't working, we can all see McGinn's out of sorts, we can all see that calling out players in public is bad, why can't you?

5 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

There are a lot of people JV who simply want to see the back of Gerrard, fearing the man cannot take us forward - and the truth of this, is that some people are willing to accept some short term pain, in the hopes of a longer term gain, and if this means swallowing a couple of defeats in order to force the club to remove Gerrard, then I do believe that some, will see this as a price worth paying.

Don't get me wrong, I get the point.

What i don't get is posters seemingly being pissed off at other posters for simply enjoying a result and performance.

What if we won the next 4 on the spin for example?

Am i meant to just moan about the " last 10 months " ?

There is never any middle ground on here, again you are lumped in a box and can be either OR.

Which is quite frustrating.

At the end of the day, no matter how many tantrums we throw on VT affects anything in real life.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Are you all genuinely upset that we got a result yesterday and people are happy about it?

Leicester just got pumped by Brighton. " Because we got a point against City, you make it sound like a City of the Norwich or Birmingham variety " lol

I don't get it.

" Gerrard is untouchable " how in the f*ck have you surmised that from people being positive about a positive result?

Too many people on here have fixed positions and/or closed minds so don’t expect constructive discussion. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I don't get it.

Leicester finished 8th last season.

What do I want? Gerrard gone, a Man City draw, even though a good day, makes no difference to me whatsoever. The day before the game people were saying he's destroyed this club, now few wanna give him time to build. It changes nothing, I don't resort to name calling, but I personally want him out our club soon as possible.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

The day before the game people were saying he's destroyed this club, now few wanna give him time to build.

Saying that he has destroyed the club was over the top, but it's fair to say that he has ruined any momentum we had. He has a big task to get the ship moving again. What some of us are asking is, did we feel the ship push back from the dock a bit yesterday? I'm looking out the cabin window to see if we're moving...

27 minutes ago, TomC said:

We have 32 matches remaining. If he gets 4 points every 2 matches, that's 64 points on top of the 4 we already have for 68, which would have been 6th place last year. Yes, he gets a pass then!!!

Seriously...like I said before, I was slow to join the "Gerrard out" camp and I'll be slow to change my mind the other way. But I don't think that the execs were ever going to fire him until after the Soton game, maybe even a little beyond that. We may as well get behind him and see what happens. Maybe, as someone else put it above, he's had his road-to-Damascus moment. That's why I said that I will be watching his tactics as much as the results.

I've never thought he was stupid. I think he's reasonably intelligent. What I worried about is that he's stubborn, or that he lacks experience and judgment. That's why I, and probably others, find his tactical flexibility yesterday a tiny bit encouraging. The fact that he's subbed McGinn two matches in a row is also a bit encouraging.

My point wasn't really that 4 points every 2 games wasn't good enough.

It just seems crazy that he's at the point where he keeps having 2 games to save his job. 

Does it just go till he loses a couple? It doesn't seem a healthy approach to a long term plan.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

My point wasn't really that 4 points every 2 games wasn't good enough.

It just seems crazy that he's at the point where he keeps having 2 games to save his job. 

Does it just go till he loses a couple? It doesn't seem a healthy approach to a long term plan.

No, but I think that the next two could buy him another 6. Again, it depends on more than the result, it depends on what he's doing.

22 minutes ago, TomC said:

I was wondering the same thing...maybe he's talked to Carragher or one of his other mates that can tell him the truth and they've told him that we can all see your tactics aren't working,

The worry if that's the case is what on earth are all the coaches doing not pointing this out? Maybe they have, and like the Mings / McGinn decision he's just not very good at listening to reason. It's all a bit frustrating really. We know we've got the squad to be doing way better.

Next 2 matches will be interesting. When he first came here he talked about clean sheets and building from that. I think he needs to go back to that philosophy. Get us more structured and have the fullbacks only go up every now and then and keep the midfield 3 close to one another. The team selection just as critical to see if he is changing. I think he will continue to start luiz + kamara from now on but its whether he takes mcginn out. 

Edited by TheMightyVillans

34 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

The day before the game people were saying he's destroyed this club

And they would be wrong.

Early season results are poor but those takes are hyperbole.

28 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

Too many people on here have fixed positions and/or closed minds so don’t expect constructive discussion. 

Respectfully disagree. In regards to SG people have made an informed opinion on his managerial ability over the course of the last 10 months and, like me, do not believe he is good enough to manage our club. To be honest even if we win the next 2 I would still want him to be sacked as I just see no way that he can ever progress us towards being a top 8 side. 
My ‘fixed position’ is based on how I perceive he has performed over a long period of time and clearly there will be many of us on here with different opinions/perceptions. There is rarely much grey in the arena of Manager opinion….it is always pretty much black and white and this is why we get very contrasting views on this subject. 
I’m not close minded, I just have a very strong opinion on our current Manager…..I guess we need to embrace ALL opinions….after all it would br bloody boring if we all thought the same 👍

• Like 2

Â