Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm just still trying to wrap my head around Luiz off and McGinn staying on.

Days later.... lol

Think that probably wound me up more that it should have.

Queue us going into the next match with Ramsey and McGinn in midfield again 🤦‍♂️

Luiz seemed particularly pissed off when he was taken off but I didn’t catch his full reaction… did you?

This guy only makes bad decisions. He doesn’t know what he’s doing or how to affect games in a positive manner.

His only “get out of jail” card has been throwing on Buendia (when he should be starting) but that isn’t always going to work, especially when the whole team is a mess or we’re under severe pressure… it’s unfair on Emi too… he’s being treated very unfairly and expected to work wonders…

Other than that, what positive decision has he ever made to affect the course of a game or the outcome of a match? He’s thrown games away with his decisions, many times now. So frustrating and shows how poor he is…

“Inept” is all I can say…

Was surprised to see the report on players being bemused at the treatment of Sanson too… would suggest that the guy doesn’t have any issues then and can be an asset when he’s fit and available… yet SG won’t even give him a seat on the bench now…

He just seems to be pissing off players for the sake of it… harming the squad unnecessarily…

What really is going on with Mings? We need him!

6 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Don't forget the stupidity of bringing Archer on for 3 minutes of added time.

Both of them were mind boggling decisions.

I start to wonder what is going on the bench with his assistant and coaches. Are they just yes-men or are they as clueless as Gerrard or do they tell him that that is a stupid idea, and he ignores them?

16 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Days later.... lol

The only reason I am not wound up is because when I saw the lineup I knew automatically who the first midfielder off would be

If I can predict the manager so easy then can imagine what its like for Premier League managers

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Days later.... lol

It's like the question 'what is the meaning of life?'. There is no answer. You're better off not trying to figure it out.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I don't agree. We beat beat Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea all under Smith playing some fantastic football in the process. Admittedly over a couple of years, but still far more than Gerrard has looked like achieving. We play the "top 6" under Gerrard and hand 3 points over before kick off. 

Not looking at results, some of the better performances under SG have been against Man City (home and away), Liverpool (home) and Spurs (home, still lost 4-0).

Playing ”lesser” teams under SG has been the worst. Watford, Brentford, Bournemouth, Newcastle before they clicked and so on. Awful.

Edited by VillaParkAvenue

13 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

The whole thing is a mess.

Pete the Canadian summed it up nicely in his latest video posted a few pages back (quite a 360 from him after the Palace game video as well).

This goes higher than Gerrard within the club, we've gambled too much on him, we've thrown away the previous playing philosophy, the transfer strategy, and no insignificant amount of money, all in the hope that Gerrard would take us to the next level.

When Smith was appointed as head coach we wanted to put in place a structure, whereby if Smith ever needed to be replaced, it wouldn't be a case of everything being thrown out and starting again, it would be a seamless transition from head coach to head coach, look at Brentford for an idea of the kind of thing we were looking to achieve, but on a grander scale.

Then Gerrard arrived, and he was given the keys to the kingdom to do as he pleases.

Lange is no longer out looking for hidden gems, and good value , he's searching for experienced 'winners' to fit a completely different style of play, all his previous work seemingly discarded.

Everything the players had previously been coached, cast aside to roll in a new system that doesn't work. All the wingers sold (bar Bailey), making it near impossible to change the system.

A wage bill ever increasing with no discernible improvement on the pitch.

When he goes, and it is inevitable, we need to restructure from the top down. Purslow has a lot of questions to answer and a lot of wrongs to right if he wishes to keep his job. Gerrard should never have been given so much control, and that starts and ends with Purslow.

I don't think Gerrard can claim he hasn't been supported, I think he's been given every possible chance to be a success, and to be fair in his interviews he's said as much. It hasn't worked out, his plan, his philosophy has failed, and he will rightly be dismissed for it, eventually, but I don't blame him for all of the mess this club is in, an inexperienced manager like Gerrard shouldn't of been given so much control.

The bomb squad is definitely on him though, does Klopp have a bomb squad? Guardiola? Ancelotti? No, they are good man managers, they understand that there's no benefit in discarding players, you never know when you might need them, and what's the benefit in reducing their value? It only piles pressure on yourself. No, they find ways to keep everyone happy, keep everyone on the same page, pushing in the same direction, and they do it with superstars.

Brilliant post.

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

No you aren't. What alternative thoughts? 

That something might be "going on" behind the scenes. What? Players revolt? Effort has been there every single game from every player. They've just been set up terribly.

What could be going on to make him put the armband on McGinn? To make him sign and play his mate Coutinho to the detriment of the team? For him to take off Luiz and cost us the match v West Ham.

You're refusing to change your mind based on evidence because you already decided you think Gerrard is a good manager. Why you think that I don't know.

Because he's a big name, who's been at the top level of football. And he has grit to him (supposedly). Look at the cycle of support for our recent managers. There's a whole host of excuses 2 tactically clueless ones, but the knives were always sharp for the only one who had a clue about modern coaching and tactics.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Not looking at results, some of the better performances under SG have been against Man City (home and away), Liverpool (home) and Spurs (home, still lost 4-0).

Playing ”lesser” teams under SG has been the worst. Watford, Brentford, Bournemouth, Newcastle before they clicked and so on. Awful.

Yes but its all irrelevant if you still lose. I honestly couldn't give a shit is we were crap every game and picking points up through having a good defence. The bottom line is though we don't actually do anything well under Gerrard. Attack, Defend, Possession, Counter. We are sub par at everything we do regardless of opposition. 

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Because he's a big name, who's been at the top level of football. And he has grit to him (supposedly). Look at the cycle of support for our recent managers. There's a whole host of excuses 2 tactically clueless ones, but the knives were always sharp for the only one who had a clue about modern coaching and tactics.

Ah yes, but those 2 tactically clueless ones played for teams at the highest level, just like Graeme Souness, Tony Adams, Tim Sherwood, Mark Hughes, Frank Lampard, and Roy Keane (although I think that he knows his stuff - it's the man management side which lets him down). Therefore, they must know what they're doing. All the above have had glittering management/coaching careers.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

The whole thing is a mess.

Pete the Canadian summed it up nicely in his latest video posted a few pages back (quite a 360 from him after the Palace game video as well).

This goes higher than Gerrard within the club, we've gambled too much on him, we've thrown away the previous playing philosophy, the transfer strategy, and no insignificant amount of money, all in the hope that Gerrard would take us to the next level.

When Smith was appointed as head coach we wanted to put in place a structure, whereby if Smith ever needed to be replaced, it wouldn't be a case of everything being thrown out and starting again, it would be a seamless transition from head coach to head coach, look at Brentford for an idea of the kind of thing we were looking to achieve, but on a grander scale.

Then Gerrard arrived, and he was given the keys to the kingdom to do as he pleases.

Lange is no longer out looking for hidden gems, and good value , he's searching for experienced 'winners' to fit a completely different style of play, all his previous work seemingly discarded.

Everything the players had previously been coached, cast aside to roll in a new system that doesn't work. All the wingers sold (bar Bailey), making it near impossible to change the system.

A wage bill ever increasing with no discernible improvement on the pitch.

When he goes, and it is inevitable, we need to restructure from the top down. Purslow has a lot of questions to answer and a lot of wrongs to right if he wishes to keep his job. Gerrard should never have been given so much control, and that starts and ends with Purslow.

I don't think Gerrard can claim he hasn't been supported, I think he's been given every possible chance to be a success, and to be fair in his interviews he's said as much. It hasn't worked out, his plan, his philosophy has failed, and he will rightly be dismissed for it, eventually, but I don't blame him for all of the mess this club is in, an inexperienced manager like Gerrard shouldn't of been given so much control.

The bomb squad is definitely on him though, does Klopp have a bomb squad? Guardiola? Ancelotti? No, they are good man managers, they understand that there's no benefit in discarding players, you never know when you might need them, and what's the benefit in reducing their value? It only piles pressure on yourself. No, they find ways to keep everyone happy, keep everyone on the same page, pushing in the same direction, and they do it with superstars.

I said pretty much this and got called a Trump supporting Brexiteer despite being neither American, English or trusting of any politician at all. I hate them all equally. We are in a spot of bother, and while throwing out Gerrard might be part of the solution, we cannot see it as the totality of it. 

Edited by daft
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sparrow1988 said:

I should hope that he sees more minutes than coming on in the 91st minute.

Yeah I'm just being silly mate.

Don't know what else to do with myself.

( Although I should be doing work )

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Â