Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm going to see how we get on next season before forming a judgement. How radical is that. 

Did last season not count?

I've got good news though! You can form an opinion and change it if the evidence in front of you (performances on the pitch) change. You won't get in trouble.

We are yet to see anywhere near the potential this squad has.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Dunno Nick.

I think there are 2 ways we can look at things.

We can choose to look at a shite first half performance/selection in a pre season match as a projection of how our season will go and how we will line up.

OR we can look at a brilliant second half with some stand out performances, against a side filled with quality which has battered all their pre season opposition as encouragement as to what is possible.

So i'm leaning towards where @Vive_La_Villa is, if we see the same persistence come next season proper i'll be right there with you all.

For now i'm taking it for what it is, pre - season.

I think /hope SG will get it right, selection wise by the time we get to Bournemouth, it's an " audition" after all.

I agree, I’m just worried I’m seeing the same things as last season, it’s worrying.  

In proper games we aren’t going to make as many changes as we did this second half even with the five sub rule, we know that just isn’t going to happen.  We also know Gerrard isn’t an early sub guy.  

So a lot will come down to his starting XI which he’s currently struggling with and picking the same players.  Yes let’s wait until the season starts but don’t mind me just worrying in the background.  

I’ll be interested to see the starting line up and style next Saturday in that preseason game.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Did last season not count?

I've got good news though! You can form an opinion and change it if the evidence in front of you (performances on the pitch) change. You won't get in trouble.

We are yet to see anywhere near the potential this squad has.

He did ok last season. Improved us from when he took us over. Were we 9th or something like that based on the table from his appointment? Thats ok. Not great, not awful.

He deserves a pre-season though and Gerrard has now had it. Next season there can be no excuses as we've purchased some good players and have a very decent squad. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

He did ok last season. Improved us from when he took us over. Were we 9th or something like that based on the table from his appointment? Thats ok. Not great, not awful.

9th yes, that is very good from where he took over from.

The concern is that the first half of his tenure is where we got all the points. We were probably 6th in the first half of his spell, and 16th in the second half.

That's the wrong way round. We got worse. Now we're here again seeing the same BS formation, same selection issues (IMO), wasting wasting even better players than before.

1 minute ago, Xela said:

He deserves a pre-season though and Gerrard has now had it. Next season there can be no excuses as we've purchased some good players and have a very decent squad. 

Not sure he did deserve it myself, but he's had it now yes.

He has no excuses that's for sure. Especially as it looks like we're pushing for at least one more player.

• Like 2

Even if Gerrard can't get the most out of this squad of players we have enough quality there to just out gun the lesser teams in the division and that should get us around 10th. (Acceptable imo).

If you want more than that we are going to either have drastically spend more in the transfer market - or recruit a higher calibre coach . 

Right now I'm not sure the club is ready to do either of those things.

10th and bit more style is ok with me.

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Bet you'd be really excited though.

Had some excitement for the season sapped today.

Yep, I think we had great pre-seasons under Lambert, Sherwood, Bruce and even Smiths first season.  

Your lack of excitement is on you mate. I can’t bloody wait!!

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yep, I think we had great pre-seasons under Lambert, Sherwood, Bruce and even Smiths first season.  

You’re lack of excitement is on you mate. I can’t bloody wait!!

No you're a lack of excitement!

• Haha 3

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Always messing up my your and you’re . Thanks for noticing and correcting me.

Just a little josh.

Seriously though...none of those previous managers can be compared.

Gerrard has been given basically a blank cheque to get almost anyone who he can convince to sign.

Bruce is the only one who has similar resources for the level we were at.

Smith had to sign a whole team and didn't have Lange helping him out. He had Richard Madeley calling his mate agents to sign whoever they told him to.

We have a great chance to really progress with the money spent. We've certainly bought some very very good players.

• Like 2

Just now, nick76 said:

well that sucks for preseason for us and him.

Yep. But its just one of those situations that could not be avoided.  I remember just rocking up at Peterborough and getting one in an hour.  Apparently its 15 weeks wait at the moment. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Just a little josh.

Seriously though...none of those previous managers can be compared.

Gerrard has been given basically a blank cheque to get almost anyone who he can convince to sign.

Bruce is the only one who has similar resources for the level we were at.

Smith had to sign a whole team and didn't have Lange helping him out. He had Richard Madeley calling his mate agents to sign whoever they told him to.

We have a great chance to really progress with the money spent. We've certainly bought some very very good players.

I wouldn’t got that far with it being a blank cheque. Smith had a fair bit of cash to spend second and third season. It’s just Gerrard has been able to convince a better calibre of player 

I totally understand fan frustrations though. I’m just waiting / hoping to see if Gerrard comes good. Writing him off now and looking for any excuse to have a dig is just a waste of energy imo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I totally understand fan frustrations though. I’m just waiting / hoping to see if Gerrard comes good. Writing him off now and looking for any excuse to have a dig is just a waste of energy imo.

I think though some are seeing it as a dig whereas the posters I’m guessing on whole are like me that are voicing concerns than digs….very different things.

Edited by nick76

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

We saw it for about 10-15 games last season it didn't work and here we are again.

Not hard to see it doesn't work. You can't play with your full backs up front, your midfield at full back and one guy in the middle of the pitch.

When will the penny drop for him? Are we wasting time waiting for this guy to maybe become a good manager? 

It's frustrating when he's been given the resources other clubs don't have. We could have got any old mug to come in and play daft formations that have no chance.

Except it did work, on occasion. The 4-0 Southampton game springs to mind.

I think there may be games where we can go two up top but certainly not against the better sides like today.

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think though some are seeing it as a dig whereas the posters I’m guessing on whole are like me that are voicing concerns than digs….very different things.

Amateur coach, should be in league two, Sherwood 2.0.

That’s digs rather than concerns. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Amateur coach, should be in league two, Sherwood 2.0.

That’s digs rather than concerns. 

Haha there were a few like that but not the majority was my point.  You’re always going to get extremes at both ends of the discussion.

42 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Happens every season. Alternatively I remember great preseasons under Lambert and everyone getting excited for the season. Says it all.

Oh my word, I was so enthusiastic about the pre-season the year we got relegated!

Gerrard may also have his eye on the new substitute rules.

For me I think the two ways we play are really good. 

I have zero complaints with our pre season.

Re Critchley. if he uses this time wisely it could be helpful. Some time to study the players and games in depth with no distractions,. It could help Gerrard formulate tactical solutions.

• Like 2

Â