Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

41 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Giving a different angle, if you look at Arteta, last season Arsenal were awful at times, players looked lost, tactics questioned and they weren't getting the results expected. It has taken him a long time to remould the team the way he wants and replace the players he didn't like. Now they look organised, their youth players are repaying his faith and some of his signings are proving really astute.

It's going to take time for Gerrard to really impose himself and put together the team he wants to take us forward.

I’ve been thinking this too. It has been a really rocky road for Arsenal to get to where they are now and plenty wanted Arteta gone and questioned every signing he made and every popular player he got rid of.

They are now reaping the benefits of their patience. Now, there’s no guarantee it will be the same for us but I do think he’s worth sticking with.

46 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Giving a different angle, if you look at Arteta, last season Arsenal were awful at times, players looked lost, tactics questioned and they weren't getting the results expected. It has taken him a long time to remould the team the way he wants and replace the players he didn't like. Now they look organised, their youth players are repaying his faith and some of his signings are proving really astute.

It's going to take time for Gerrard to really impose himself and put together the team he wants to take us forward.

Arteta has been fortunate enough to work at a club where he’s been given the money needed to replace almost every player. Most managers don’t have that luxury, nor should they have. It’s not a sustainable way of running a club.

Managers should be able to work with what they have to some extent, the Chelsea model.

5 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Managers should be able to work with what they have to some extent, the Chelsea model.

Mate... I get where you were going, but you finished off with a horrendous example.

It's much easier to operate the " Chelsea " model when it entails a squad with world class players.

Southampton, Brentford etc might have been better examples.

16 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I’ve been thinking this too. It has been a really rocky road for Arsenal to get to where they are now and plenty wanted Arteta gone and questioned every signing he made and every popular player he got rid of.

They are now reaping the benefits of their patience. Now, there’s no guarantee it will be the same for us but I do think he’s worth sticking with.

But we want immediate success now!!!

The impatience of Villa fans is quite something. He needs loads more time. I’m pretty impressed with how he’s done irrespective of some poor results. We looked like we could be in another relegation battle before he came in. Now we are very much not. We narrowly lost to two teams in the top 5 after a recent decent run. Chill. A lot won’t click for a while. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I think one of the really positive things about Gerrard is the way he speaks. He is honest and passionate. He doesn’t try and play any games. He’s straight down the middle. I suspect a few of the players are really going to regret their performance today. 

You obviously haven't seen today's post match interview then.

46 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

He will only get the Lplop /England job ih he is successful here.

Some people on here need to get a grip. How many of the players on the pitch today would SG be happy to have on the pitch in the next 12/18 months. I would say 6 or 7 at the most.

If he goes in 3 or 4 years time, i'm ok with that, but until then i am quite intrigued to see if he turns out to be as good as i think he can be.

Getting a decent striker would be a start.

Success for Stevie G here ?

A group of 29 year old on massive wages - little resale value - getting us 8th.

That would probably get him the Liverpool job.

He is bothered about the long term future of Aston villa. It's all about him and his mates up the road. 

1 minute ago, M_Afro said:

I have. That was the stimulus for my post. You don’t agree with my observation?

Well I thought that was playing games myself.

As for honest - he promised changes after one defeat - then named pretty much the same 11 next match.

He hasn't got a clue.

Gerrard won't get the Liverpool job finishing eighth with us, never mind the Liverpool job, he wouldn't last long with us if that was the height of his acheivements, our owners want to win it all.

2 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I have. That was the stimulus for my post. You don’t agree with my observation?

I’m a Gerrard fan but I thought his attitude in that interview was borne more out of a dislike for the interviewer than it was anything else. Maybe the questions were crap but BT sport are going to keep employing Des whatever his name is whilst he keeps getting reactions like that out of managers. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

yikes, Gerrard is spiky as f*** at the end of this interview, lol.

The slightly odd thing in this interview is his belief that players don't believe in his system. That's quite concerning. 

I think that the system is flawed, but the job of him and his staff is to have the blokes on the pitch on board. 

• Like 1

Just now, hippo said:

Well I thought that was playing games myself.

As for honest - he promised changes after one defeat - then named pretty much the same 11 next match.

He hasn't got a clue.

You clearly have an agenda against the manager which is your prerogative. I suspect that you need to come to terms with it though because the intelligent people in charge of our great club will give him a fair chance.

I believe that he is an intelligent, honest and diligent man who will be successful here. It will take a bit of time but he will get us there.

1 minute ago, WallisFrizz said:

I’m a Gerrard fan but I thought his attitude in that interview was borne more out of a dislike for the interviewer than it was anything else. Maybe the questions were crap but BT sport are going to keep employing Des whatever his name is whilst he keeps getting reactions like that out of managers. 

Maybe. I think he just hates losing and is a bit of a spiky character. I would take that over a Steve Bruce type shoulder shrugger every single time.

4 minutes ago, Dale said:

The slightly odd thing in this interview is his belief that players don't believe in his system. That's quite concerning. 

I think that the system is flawed, but the job of him and his staff is to have the blokes on the pitch on board. 

He is searching for a system, that negates a huge gap in our squad of midfield players who can defend and play out with Authority.....We have no mastery in midfield and we don't have the personnel in the squad to give it us.

So when you come up against teams with a complete midfield like Arsenal and West Ham, and are sitting in the higher echelons of the league.....its pretty tough, in bridging that gap, by toying around with formations, with players not equipped to address the issue.....but you have to try something.

He has 9 games to cover, knowing there is an issue within the squad he can't fix until the summer.....hence the frustration from Interviewers, is easy to spill over.

I want SG to be spiky.....because that lilly livered showing from some of our lot, needs to be binned.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

He is searching for a system, that negates a huge gap in our squad of midfield players who can defend and play out with Authority.....We have no mastery in midfield and we don't have the personnel in the squad to give it us.

So when you come up against teams with a complete midfield like Arsenal and West Ham, and are sitting in the higher echelons of the league.....its pretty tough, in bridging that gap, by toying around with formations, with players not equipped to address the issue.....but you have to try something.

He has 9 games to cover, knowing there is an issue within the squad he can't fix until the summer.....hence the frustration from Interviewers, is easy to spill over.

I want SG to be spiky.....because that lilly livered showing from some of our lot, needs to be binned.

I just want us to play with some width. 

12 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

You clearly have an agenda against the manager which is your prerogative. I suspect that you need to come to terms with it though because the intelligent people in charge of our great club will give him a fair chance.

I believe that he is an intelligent, honest and diligent man who will be successful here. It will take a bit of time but he will get us there.

It's not an intelligent appointment at all. Check the early pages of this thread. The villa fans didn't want him - it baffles me why we went out such a limb for him.

Honest ? - you not recall his diving and whining antics as a player -? The way he set up a move to Chelsea to engineer a pay rise from Liverpool.

The blokes character is the lowest of the low - he is total and utter vermin - I can't believe our great club has employed such a disgusting individual.

20 minutes ago, useless said:

Gerrard won't get the Liverpool job finishing eighth with us, never mind the Liverpool job, he wouldn't last long with us if that was the height of his acheivements, our owners want to win it all.

If they are serious they need to appoint a better calibre of head coach. Gerrard is £250m spunked up the wall waiting to happen

5 minutes ago, Dale said:

I just want us to play with some width. 

I just want us to play with some ****ing aggression.....and challenge for balls like we mean to win them.

not half hearted attempts, with semi pressing and passive headed duels.

• Like 2

Â