Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Just now, nick76 said:

Only a few but that’ll always happen in any walk of life

You think so mate? There were a few that was against Smith from the start but to me anyway it seems many more are against SG

I don't think he needs to be a genius to make a positive impression, he just needs to address the things that Smith was getting wrong and get the team selection right.

1. Key for me is - Buendia is clearly not a 10. We need three in CM - you could see the change in the Arsenal and Saints game when we did this and we took control of the midfield.
  2. We need pace up front to stretch the opposition and make the space for Buendia to drift in to.  Bailey-Ollie-Buendia for me BUT if Bailey is not fit then shift out Ollie (Ings/Archer in to 9) or play JPB ... No ponderous AEG!
  3. Return the defence to where it was last season. He managed to get Rangers from 50+ goals conceded to 27 to 13 last year so clearly knows how to organise/sort a defence and we showed last year that we have all of the necessary components to do this.

I just want to see Stevie G's passion on the side and some decisiveness as well ... it always felt that Smith/Sharkey/Terry needed a 30 minute consultation before a change could be made during games.

I think Gerard could be fantastic for us and here's hoping it starts on Saturday!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, av1 said:

Of course, I’m not fooled by the spin either, but you can’t argue that some seem to have made their minds up already? 

I said I would reluctantly give him a chance but I can certainly see why people are reluctant to praise the basics been done so far. If performances improve then so will the mood 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Interesting that he spoke about finding somewhere to live. I had assumed that he would travel down from Cheshire. Shows his dedication to do things properly. 

Probably glad to get away from that area given the number of footballer's houses that have been burgled over the last few years! 

Just now, Zatman said:

I said I would reluctantly give him a chance but I can certainly see why people are reluctant to praise the basics been done so far. If performances improve then so will the mood 

Why reluctantly?

He wasn't my first choice but I think he could be fantastic. He is the epitome of a born winner and that's what we need to set the standards!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Or people are not fooled by club spin. Interview was in house so no tough questions he couldnt prepare and a few minutes of training ground clips. Saturday is when it is answered if this has worked 

So if all goes well on Saturday you’ll declare it a success? If we lose it’ll be a failure? Blimey who do you want next?

3 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Of course. Smith was a Vila fan. It could never be otherwise.

I get that mate and without going OT I’m still gutted he’s gone, and still a bit gutted he was replaced with someone I have reservations about. 

But Smith has gone and Gerrard is the Manager, he needs backing. 

4 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

Probably glad to get away from that area given the number of footballer's houses that have been burgled over the last few years! 

I think the family home will still be in Liverpool, he didn’t move his family to Glasgow. Kids schools and all that. I assume he can find a nice little pad in Four Oaks to cut down the commuting.  

Let's not get carried away here. I think a lot of posters are endowing Gerrard with the qualities that we think are needed.

I am certainly looking forward with hope to the future, and my initial impression of him from that interview is positive, but it is early days.

We need to give him time and not expect too much in the games up to Christmas, which will be a big test.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

I get that mate and without going OT I’m still gutted he’s gone, and still a bit gutted he was replaced with someone I have reservations about. 

But Smith has gone and Gerrard is the Manager, he needs backing. 

I absolutely agree.

11 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

Why reluctantly?

He wasn't my first choice but I think he could be fantastic. He is the epitome of a born winner and that's what we need to set the standards!

Because people expected a proven winner and Gerrard is not that, one trophy in 9 at Old Firm is poor form. Its not Gerrard fault but people were expecting a proven quality successor to Smith 

23 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Interesting that he spoke about finding somewhere to live. I had assumed that he would travel down from Cheshire. Shows his dedication to do things properly. 

He hasn't looked around yet tho

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Because people expected a proven winner and Gerrard is not that, one trophy in 9 at Old Firm is poor form. Its not Gerrard fault but people were expecting a proven quality successor to Smith 

I can only speak for myself but I’m absolutely not expecting proven quality. 

I agree that his SPL record wasn’t fantastic, and his playing career “the name” means nothing. When he was announced I was pretty pissed off, and I’m not fooled by a 3min nor a 3min training clip. 

My point is that I try to be a glass half full type so now he is our manager he needs our support, and who knows, it might just prove to be an inspired appointment. 

22 minutes ago, av1 said:

You think so mate? There were a few that was against Smith from the start but to me anyway it seems many more are against SG

It’ll be the same with SG, a few will never accept but the rest including me will just need time to be more positive.  Loads of reasons why and unless SG is a complete failure from get go, the rest of us will be there over the coming period, however long that will take.

36 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Or people are not fooled by club spin. Interview was in house so no tough questions he couldnt prepare and a few minutes of training ground clips. Saturday is when it is answered if this has worked 

It is club spin but if it’s getting fans onside and optimistic I can’t really see how that’s a bad thing. 

• Like 1

Â