Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I can't help you hippo, if you can't see, what I see.

Its quite strange, because most of the time, we see things in a similar light.

I can't agree with your view of Scottish football in the context you are explaining it.

as an example.....you throw a dart at the 20 segment on a dart board it's easy for the average darts player.....you tell them their life depends on it and see it shrink, before you eyes.

managing in Scotland is easy, granted.....you  manage Rangers in the shadows of Celtic with serial titles to their name and be told the title or nothing.....you tell me thats easy for a fledgling manager,with a huge career planned ahead,  it would have experienced managers, running for the bed pan.

His performance in Scotland, is surely impressive for me and he knows the challenge he has taken on, but he could have gone to most clubs outside the top 4 .....He chose to come to us and I am thoroughly excited at that....thanks to our prudent owners.

Winning is not an easy thing to do, at any level....it requires an awful lot of criteria to be right.....I think he has demonstrated in his life and awful lot of examples of a winning mentality, that very few have.

The fact, I have watched from the stands, him almost single handly demolish us, on numerous occasions, where despite our awareness, we simply could not negate him.....has me thinking we have the potential for a very special menatlity of person, now in our dug out.

He is in our camp, Spartacus is on our team....we are not facing him anymore....that fills me with confidence and should in theory motivate our team in a willingness to compete and listen to his teachings.

Hi there. Rangers supporter here. Got to disagree with your summary of managing in Scotland and in particular Glasgow. The pressure to win up here as one of the old firm is intense. A draw, particularly at home, is a disaster. Radio, MSM, social media all go into hyperbole. SG wasn't tested greatly up here. What I would say is that there is no plan B. His coaching team are incapable of change during a game. He's a winner and it will be interesting to see how his personality fares not winning. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

God knows, too much mental gymnastics for me. I understand your concern that he might do such a good job here that Liverpool want him, but it's not one I share to tell you the truth. If it happens, we move. 

This is where I disagree with most. I think he can do an average job at villa and still get the pool gig.

I'm hoping he's better than OGS at Cardiff though !!

15 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I can appreciate that, to some extent.

Not sure why you’re emphasising guarantees, I didn’t say there were any but I do believe there could have been targets that came with more assurance (and either needn’t have to pay so heavily for or actually worth doing so for. If reports are true, I’m appalled that he is on such a high wage from the off - that should have to be earned).

I’m not looking for negatives, just believe a certain amount of apprehension is warranted.

From the content I’ve come across, Beale is absolutely key and for him to succeed Gerrard may well end up being a good shout. The backroom staff seems to hold more importance than the guy at the helm, we’ll have to see. I hope his leadership qualities shine through, they’ should be an asset but it has to be aided by his management skills and decision making.

It is time to look forwards but this has to work out for us.

I am trying to be positive anyway, I just don’t have overwhelming confidence at this point in time.

Yes, we have to embrace it and hope that it leads to success. I want to see a winning team that competes well, is aggressive and is comfortable in possession.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I will harass you no longer 😆

you are not harrasing me, just stimulating debate, which is great, its what its all about.

I mentioned Guarantee's because you mentioned them, saying there wasn't any for you, fine, I get that.

Apprehension, is natural, i just feel I have enough feeling on this, that I have none, doesn't mean I am right.

If it doesn't work, one of the biggest and most revered names in modern day football, will have failed....I just don't see that.

just one more thought....His backroom staff have been applauded highly too, but if he was anything but the real deal, they wouldn't cling to him, like they do......We have just taken, the entire football group, from one of the biggest clubs in European football, during a season with them well positioned to  win the title and secure European football.....please don't underestimate, that coup.

53 minutes ago, hippo said:

I was using Martinez as an example. If Stevie G knows his next club 12 months in advance - wots to stop on or two cut price departure s in the direction of Anfield.?

Gerrard would not be the person negotiating the sale price. It is not going to happen where Gerrard sells our players on the cheap to Liverpool so he can have them there if he joins a year later. I have read some far fetched comments on here but that takes the biscuit :)

14 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

He will get support, I don’t doubt that at all. I just get the impression that your admiration for him is based on his record, reputation and status as a player more than anything… maybe not.

I’ve already covered my thoughts on his Rangers tenure, his record doesn’t impress me as much as it does others for various reasons. 1 from a potential 9 trophies is far from amazing.

But context is everything.

To overcome Celtic (although, they were not in a great place and he had to spend quite a lot in SPL terms) and to go a season unbeaten is impressive, only 13 goals conceded is excellent too. But how is that going to translate to the PL? Will it, in any way?

It’s a completely different experience and a MASSIVE step up. That can’t be underestimated, it’s a huge challenge. The standard of players, opposition and managers is light years ahead of anything in the SPL. Although, I acknowledge he did well in Europe. I can see the reasons for encouragement too, absolutely.

There are several arguments and points of debate, on both sides. I’m trying to appreciate and acknowledge as many of them as I can…

To keep the support going, he has to do well. He’s under a lot of pressure imo and the board have heavily backed him.

I hope it all works out for the best, I have no intentions to dampen your spirits.

Onwards and upwards from here please… starting with a cracking performance against Brighton!

The only thing that will test my will on this is defeats.

I am absolutely resolute on my opinions of him......Only results could change that...as with any manager....but I will give him reasonable time.

UTV

11 minutes ago, hippo said:

This is where I disagree with most. I think he can do an average job at villa and still get the pool gig.

I'm hoping he's better than OGS at Cardiff though !!

If he does just an average job then we will be happy for Pool to pay his release clause and we can move on to something better. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, TRO said:

Might as well be for me....if it goes tits up....I am doomed.

I will be shocked rigid, if it does.

He was a powerful player and he is taking it in to his management career...but thanks for the endorsement.

It’s fantastic, honestly, I want some of it. Although maybe I need some time off because I was a big Smith fan and defended him so maybe it’ll be nice that I’ll be middle of the road for Gerrard and others take the manager defence mantle.  Good luck!

Another concern for me is that he will be learning (a lot) on the job and experiencing new scenarios…. much more so than many other managers out there. His is a relatively fledgling managerial career…

Has he ever had to arrest a slump? How many top quality managers and genuinely strong teams has he had to face and managed to overcome? How will he react to a defeat and poor performance or a run of them? How will he deal with a higher quality and profile of player (both managing them and facing them, the opposition)?

How many genuine challenges has he had to face and deal with yet?

He is largely used to facing inferior opposition… and hasn’t always defeated them. The guy never won a cup while he was with Rangers. He was backed financially too (and the club seems to be having to pay the price for it now).

His European record does provide some encouragement though but how many high quality teams and managers did he really have to contend with? And how often? Some of them had stronger teams, no doubt. And he did well to beat them with that set of players…

There are many unknowns and questions to be asked…

He may revel in the experience and come up trumps but there is no way of knowing or predicting at this point…

I maintain, it’s a significant gamble and a risk…

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

It’s fantastic, honestly, I want some of it. Although maybe I need some time off because I was a big Smith fan and defended him so maybe it’ll be nice that I’ll be middle of the road for Gerrard and others take the manager defence mantle.  Good luck!

Nick, you was right to see Deans Attributes, he was right for us, for 3 years too.....don't take time off, just read up on him, most of the podcasters are buying in, having cheked out his persona.

I have no axe to grind with Dean Smith, he was easy to like....and a sad Day.

SG has a different skill set, is all.....I think right now, we need what he has and I think the owners, think that too....time will tell.

Edited by TRO

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

you are not harrasing me, just stimulating debate, which is great, its what its all about.

I mentioned Guarantee's because you mentioned them, saying there wasn't any for you, fine, I get that.

Apprehension, is natural, i just feel I have enough feeling on this, that I have none, doesn't mean I am right.

If it doesn't work, one of the biggest and most revered names in modern day football, will have failed....I just don't see that.

just one more thought....His backroom staff have been applauded highly too, but if he was anything but the real deal, they wouldn't cling to him, like they do......We have just taken, the entire football group, from one of the biggest clubs in European football, during a season with them well positioned to  win the title and secure European football.....please don't underestimate, that coup.

You make some fair points TRO. I just don’t have your belief and confidence.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not stating or predicting that this is going to be a bad appointment or fail.

All I am saying is that it’s unpredictable and uncertain. 

I will be overjoyed if it works out because all I want is the success of Aston Villa. I want to be entertained and support a team that I can be proud of.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

If you think Glasgow Rangers is some tin pot, back strret club.....you are delusional

Surely there is some middle room between biggest clubs in Europe and tin pot?

They are well supported but have 1 title in Europe despite having a free qualifying spot every season. IFK Göteborg has more titles than them ffs.

• Like 3

Â