The manager situation

OutByEaster?

Back or sack Dean Smith?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What do you feel should happen in terms of Dean Smiths tenure as manager?

• Back him for the foreseeable future
    • Sack him if we lose to Southampton
    • Sack him if we lose our next two games
    • Sack him now

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/11/21 at 19:30

4 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Perhaps it's as simple as there isn't a standout replacement available? 

Maybe. If that’s true I would look at an interim solution until the end of the season. If we do nothing we are in big trouble.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, M_Afro said:

Maybe. If that’s true I would look at an interim solution until the end of the season. If we do nothing we are in big trouble.

If that means Shakespeare, Nanny McPhee or Danks. Hell no! 

I suppose I'd be okay with Delaney. 

15 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He spent 20m on Neal Maupay. Their team is full of quality. Brighton are among the biggest spenders outside of the big 6. 

They have some good players, Maupay, Trossard, Cucrella, Dunk ain't bad. To me they are underperforming and Potter is nothing special.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

20m is not enough for the main striker in a PL team. Even we have bought 2 strikers for more than that since they bought Maupay and we paid 22m for Wes at about the same time. 

There will always be stats to be found to try and be either positive or negative about any particular manager. Imo, the reason people like Potter is as I said above; the style of football, the organisation, the team effort. It is these non stat driven qualities that Potter demonstrates which many find very appealing.

Nobody outside the top 6 other than us or Brighton have been spending 20m on strikers. They finished 15th and 16th, with teams like Palace, Newcastle, Southampton and Burnley finishing above them who spent significantly less than them.

We should know from experience that these things don't necessarily translate with Lambert et al (and even Smith!). Accomplishments are always more tangible and reliable than the eye test. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vreitti said:

If that means Shakespeare, Nanny McPhee or Danks. Hell no! 

I suppose I'd be okay with Delaney. 

Was thinking an external appointment. Maybe an older coach on a final big pay day.

Norwich have parted ways with Farke, the merry go round is really picking up pace. I’d like to think we’re shopping higher end than Norwich, but the demand seems to be far outstripping the supply. Certainly in terms of quality. 

32 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

The way his teams play and how organised they are and how everyone looks like they know what they are doing

Sounds like someone else before they decided to manage us. In fact it sounds like a few individuals before they came here.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

They have some good players, Maupay, Trossard, Cucrella, Dunk ain't bad. To me they are underperforming and Potter is nothing special.

Agreed. Just watched the Newcastle game. They certainly were 'easy on the eye' and dominated possession, but created very little in the final third. Eventually they let Newcastle back in the game.