Midweek Football 18/21 October

andykeenan

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Not sure but you cant argue with the ref if hes gone over and had a look at it and decided there wasn't sufficent contact. VAR working right

How he can look at a foul from four angles that he's already seen once with his own eyes and correctly adjudged as a foul, then decide there isn't a foul is beyond me.

It's a robbery.

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

That is an absolutely shocking decision - to overrule what seems to be an obvious penalty.

I mean, fair enough if he originally says no, he'd have been wrong, but they sometimes are, but to watch Jota put his hip into the man from four different angles, confirming you'd definitely been right to give it, then say 'no foul' is just bizarre.

Livarpool strikes again

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

How he can look at a foul from four angles that he's already seen once with his own eyes and correctly adjudged as a foul, then decide there isn't a foul is beyond me.

It's a robbery.

The problem is by going to the monitor it automatically puts doubt in their mind so they feel they have to overturn it. It’s simply not good enough. Especially with the poor quality and selective reply as available. It’s not enough to overturn it. 

• Like 1

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

It's a robbery.

Would have been very soft but guess it could have gone either way 

If you look at the contact, look at the hip and the lines that the two players were running - Jota takes a step across him and they bang hips, the shoulders and arms are a bit distracting, but he's barged him over. It's a stonewall pen.

Incidentally while we're on the refereeing of this one - Suarez gets booked at the end for having a good old swear and point at the referee, then proceeds to continue to have a good old swear and point at the referee, who warns him again, and he then continues to have a good old swear and point at the referee - get the red out you wet wipe!

That one was a penalty for me, can't see how the ref initially gave it and then overturned it.

The penalty given on Mbappe for MEssi's panenka, on the other hand...lightly gets brushed by the defender's hand and falls to the floor like he's been shot, and it gets given

21 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I hate Liverpool as much as the next guy but that was never a penalty last night and I think the correct decision was reached eventually.

I think it's a pen tbh.  It's not stonewall but Jota is the wrong side of the player and clearly uses his hip to "bump" him.

In those situations, I always question what the defensive player is actually trying to achieve.  Jota is trying to stop the Atletico player getting the ball by subtly bumping him off it.  There's nothing there to overturn the decision IMO.

47 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I hate Liverpool as much as the next guy but that was never a penalty last night and I think the correct decision was reached eventually.

Its probably not a penalty, but when the referee initially gives it then he cant backtrack as contact is made and not an error

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Its probably not a penalty, but when the referee initially gives it then he cant backtrack as contact is made and not an error

But contact does not equal foul.

Contact was minimal and dubious in terms of the outcome, the Madrid player sent himself to the floor not the contact.

• Like 1

Clear foul for me - no doubt whatsoever - Jota making no attempt to play the ball and trying to engineer a tangle with the forward that brings them both down - he comes across the forwards line and bumps him with his hip - he meant it and he's got away with it. It's the kind of thing that sometimes you get away with where a ref sees it as an accidental tangle - they sometimes get picked up on VAR and then given, but to un-give it on VAR is an exceptional error on behalf of the referee.

51 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Clear foul for me - no doubt whatsoever - Jota making no attempt to play the ball and trying to engineer a tangle with the forward that brings them both down - he comes across the forwards line and bumps him with his hip - he meant it and he's got away with it. It's the kind of thing that sometimes you get away with where a ref sees it as an accidental tangle - they sometimes get picked up on VAR and then given, but to un-give it on VAR is an exceptional error on behalf of the referee.

Surprised at the strength of your feeling on this one, if we’re going to start giving penalties for that volume of contact then there will be a penalty given at every corner kick.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Surprised at the strength of your feeling on this one, if we’re going to start giving penalties for that volume of contact then there will be a penalty given at every corner kick.

Yes at corners defenders get away with murder.  If it wasn't for cheating players this would be a whole lot clearer. 

Â