Atmosphere!?

spiezels

Was sat in a trinity for first time since 2-0 everton first home game back in the prem and was shocked at how quiet it all was.

Holte didn’t make a peep (loud enough to travel the ground) until late second half, not even a yippee aye eye before or during KO that normally kicks it off. 

Dead silence, did anyone else notice it? New season nerves? 

to be fair Newcastle fans although they sang a lot more, didn’t take over.

but I was shocked.

Sounded great on the stream, loads of good chant in the second half when we were having good spells of possesion.

Impression I got was people were just happy to be back in the ground watching live football after 18 months so didn't really hear much frustration even in first half when we were struggling to get a foothold.

For a Sat 3pm I thought it was pretty good although obviously dosen't compare to a night match when we dig out a great result.

18 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Sounded great on the stream, loads of good chant in the second half when we were having good spells of possesion.

Impression I got was people were just happy to be back in the ground watching live football after 18 months so didn't really hear much frustration even in first half when we were struggling to get a foothold.

For a Sat 3pm I thought it was pretty good although obviously dosen't compare to a night match when we dig out a great result.

Second half was ok, but first half I can’t remember a quieter atmosphere.

Assumed new season nerves, but it was REALLY quite. 

like I said, not even the initial yippee aye ey. Just deathly silence. 

2 minutes ago, spiezels said:

Second half was ok, but first half I can’t remember a quieter atmosphere.

Assumed new season nerves, but it was REALLY quite. 

like I said, not even the initial yippee aye ey. Just deathly silence. 

We didn't play at all well in first 30 minutes so it's never going to be a wall of noise if we're just defending our box and punting balls forward.

Second half we were on front foot more and McGinn chant was very loud at one stage as was the one for Ramsey. The comms (Stephen Warnock was co comms on the feed I was listening to) were saying what great backing we were getting at that stage.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, VillaChris said:

We didn't play at all well in first 30 minutes so it's never going to be a wall of noise if we're just defending our box and punting balls forward.

Second half we were on front foot more and McGinn chant was very loud at one stage as was the one for Ramsey. The comms (Stephen Warnock was co comms on the feed I was listening to) were saying what great backing we were getting at that stage.

Agreed we didn’t mate, and I’m not saying it for no reason or to stir shit.  but with due respect to you, you weren’t there. As a fan that’s been going since I was a little kid, and sat all over the ground, watched us in shit games, relegation games, championship games, on a roll games. it was one of if not the worst I’ve been at. The Holte didn’t make a noise, as I said not even the initial yippee aye ey or anything. 
The main reason I noticed it was I was buzzing for the new lads that hadn’t played in front of a full VP to experience it. Much like Wesley etc first night back in Prem against Everton (possibly best Atmos I’ve ever experienced) but also get that was a Friday night. I don’t really know what my question is, other than, did anyone else notice how quiet it was, and what your thoughts are as to why. it was noticeable. 

38 minutes ago, spiezels said:

Agreed we didn’t mate, and I’m not saying it for no reason or to stir shit. 

but with due respect to you, you weren’t there.

As a fan that’s been going since I was a little kid, and sat all over the ground, watched us in shit games, relegation games, championship games, on a roll games. 

it was one of if not the worst I’ve been at. The Holte didn’t make a noise, as I said not even the initial yippee aye ey or anything. 

The main reason I noticed it was I was buzzing for the new lads that hadn’t played in front of a full VP to experience it. Much like Wesley etc first night back in Prem against Everton (possibly best Atmos I’ve ever experienced) but also get that was a Friday night.

I don’t really know what my question is, other than, did anyone else notice how quiet it was, and what your thoughts are as to why. 

it was noticeable. 

I mentioned it was a weird atmosphere, not what I was expecting at all. I was also a lot quieter than I used to be. There wasn't much grumbling where I was and there was plenty of singing (louder in 2nd half).

I had a tear in my eye when the players came out for various reasons. 

Overall I enjoyed it and hope to be back soon

• Like 2

3 hours ago, spiezels said:

Was sat in a trinity for first time since 2-0 everton first home game back in the prem and was shocked at how quiet it all was.

Holte didn’t make a peep (loud enough to travel the ground) until late second half, not even a yippee aye eye before or during KO that normally kicks it off. 

Dead silence, did anyone else notice it? New season nerves? 

to be fair Newcastle fans although they sang a lot more, didn’t take over.

but I was shocked.

Yeah, I was surprised how quiet it was too. 

A bit of noise at the start then fairly quiet.  I think it was nerves setting in. It wasn't a great game, another loss would have killed us so everyone was nervous as hell. It picked up after we went 2 nil up. 

We haven't got that swashbuckling kind of player right now to get people up and excited.   When Bailey and Traore/Buendia get on the wings I think it will pick up. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

I mentioned it was a weird atmosphere, not what I was expecting at all. I was also a lot quieter than I used to be. There wasn't much grumbling where I was and there was plenty of singing (louder in 2nd half).

I had a tear in my eye when the players came out for various reasons. 

Overall I enjoyed it and hope to be back soon

Yeah I’d agree with that, it wasn’t negative at all, it wasn’t grumbling or getting on players backs.  was just… silence. I stopped watching the game at points to stare at the Holte to see what was going on. so much of that game was special, a huge game for all of us, for new players, the atmosphere just didn’t meet the expectations at all. i really would go as far to say as the most dull atmosphere I’ve seen at VP. It wasn’t toxic in anyway. Just, dull. 

maybe I built it up to be too much and had too much expectation of it. But still, I was dumbfounded.  I really wanted today to be a showcase of VP to players like cash, and especially Buendia and ings, who, no disrespect to their olds clubs have quieter fans than us. At home and away. was glad to hear the claps and cheers massively outweigh the few boo’s of the lads taking the knee. 
anways, BIG win. Can’t wait for MOTD. 

I thought it was fine? I'm sat in the Holte though. Nothing like the Everton game which was one of the best but not as bad as some people are making out. I could barley hear Newcastle 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 5-1 said:

I thought it was fine? I'm sat in the Holte though. Nothing like the Everton game which was one of the best but not as bad as some people are making out. I could barley hear Newcastle 

Might have been as you were in the Holte, but didn’t hear anything from it until late into the first half.  Not a dig at anyone like, but it was bad. was looking to the Holte for some inspiration but it never came. never in my 22 years as a villa fan going there games has it been that quiet. Odd one.  Nerves, it must be. Onto the next one. UTV

T5 North Stand was decent, it took a while for most of the ground to get into it but once the ings one flew in, then it was fantastic. The celebrations were more like an away game, everyone lost it for the first one. The pen not so much as it was kind of expected. I would say its the second best atmosphere at Villa Park in the last few years, the best one being the Home game against Everton 2 years ago. The Newcastle lot were very quiet, they are usually much louder away. Reckon they are jaded with the ownership situation and being lumbered with Bruce for the long term.

I suppose the only slightly disappointing thing was loads of people leaving as Neil Diamond rang out through the tannoy. They then played Jeff Beck to a largely empty stand/stadium. Hi Ho Silver Lining should always be played first is the lesson there i'm guessing ;)

Â