Atmosphere!?

spiezels

The atmosphere was v good pre match but the Holte End were pretty much silent throughout the first half. I think it was tension as they got better in the second. I was sat in Trinity and they made more effort than the Holte. 

You could definitely hear the away fans particularly the rendition of “Jack Grealish, he knows you’re shit” (we’re going to get this every week aren’t we?) and a song about how shit our support was. 

13 hours ago, spiezels said:

Was sat in a trinity for first time since 2-0 everton first home game back in the prem and was shocked at how quiet it all was.

Holte didn’t make a peep (loud enough to travel the ground) until late second half, not even a yippee aye eye before or during KO that normally kicks it off. 

Dead silence, did anyone else notice it? New season nerves? 

to be fair Newcastle fans although they sang a lot more, didn’t take over.

but I was shocked.

I thought the same, couldn't get a Holte ticket so we sat in Trinity too. I was also surprised at the quietness of the Holte. At one time we were singinging Holte end give us a song and the Bar codes were singing shall we sing a song for you

• Like 1

BBC commentary mentioned VP had been subdued until the penalty which I would agree with, which is a shame as they'd been raving about the noise at Elland Road. 

It was just a poor quality tense game.  The only real excitement in the first half came with the final incredible kick of the ball and it picked up second half particularly after the pen. 

• Like 1

I'm in the lower North and the first half in particular was quiet, bar the opening 5 minutes or so.

Newcastle fans made a decent racket in the first half but quietened down a lot after the penalty, at which point our fans started to increase the volume somewhat.

I understand why the atmosphere was the way it was, and I wouldn't say it was 'bad', but I was really hoping we'd get a repeat of the Everton game from our first season back up.

Elland Road was always going to be a cracking atmosphere first home game back in prem with fans for years . Saying that it’s known to be a noisier ground than Villa Park anyway majority of the time. Villa Park on its day is one of the best, its right up there hairs on back of the neck stand up. It’s not often it’s like that though, and a lot of the time it’s too quiet like most grounds nowadays. I’ve gone to Villa Park some games thinking it’s going to be rocking , but it’s been quiet, really quiet . Watford defeat, and the poor first half probably played a part, but I do wish our fans would get behind the team a bit more at times. The Holte End is shite most of the time anyway. 12th man? What a myth that is apart from odd occasion . 

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

I've heard worse

Sounds good… but am telling ya, it was the flattest Atmos I’ve been too at VP since I can remember. 

Nothing got going. 

culmination of Watford, nerves and maybe that Wilson 1v1 early on shit everyone up. 

Just now, spiezels said:

Sounds good… but am telling ya, it was the flattest Atmos I’ve been too at VP since I can remember. 

Nothing got going. 

culmination of Watford, nerves and maybe that Wilson 1v1 early on shit everyone up. 

I was there, we had our moments in the 2nd half but for some reason I was expecting Everton levels again, strange.

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

I was there, we had our moments in the 2nd half but for some reason I was expecting Everton levels again, strange.

So was I, maybe naively as that was a Friday night wasn’t it.

Main reason I noticed was I really wanted it to be pumping for the new players. But just felt low. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spiezels said:

So was I, maybe naively as that was a Friday night wasn’t it.

Main reason I noticed was I really wanted it to be pumping for the new players. But just felt low. 

I also think losing Jack adds to it. It felt like we were building something to take on the top6 and then one of them walks in and takes our best player. One that gave the impression that he would rather die then give up on his club.

I think Leon Bailey will lift the roof off the place when he gets going. 

They're all on social media, they'll here the comments, you will need earplugs next Saturday. 

I was in the Holte and seeing as it was my first game since the Spurs 2-3 I was also expecting a blistering Everton style atmosphere. I’d agree it wasn't great especially in the first half but I thought it was pretty average overall, been to a lot of games like that. 

For sure there was a bit of nervousness in the crowd and to some extent the team in the first. A rebuilding job for everyone until this new side is settled. 

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 1

The Holte (to be fair, the only stand making any noise of note) sounded great before and at the start of the game from the Upper Doug Ellis. Then the whole ground went quiet until the Ings goal. After that, it was good, but mainly because of the two VARs and penalty.

I did sense a general air of uncertainty, but we are going into a season of unknowns. Weird to say only two games in, but it felt like a crossroads game.

I'm sure it'll pick up as the season rolls on.

14 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

A bit off topic, but did any one see if they’ve replaced the picture of Grealish and Smith on the North Stand? 

Yeah, went round to have a look. 

Much better. Glad they didn’t leave deano on his own 😂

We lose noise because of 4 separate stands. Although traditionalists would be up in arms if we ever rebuild the North with a wrap around stand I guarantee you the atmosphere would be even better.

Evening games have better atmospheres because of the number of ales consumed by the patrons.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Â