Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

16 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Slight sidenote: Not trying to make excuses for him as I responded with my feelings earlier in the thread.

We discussed in the Pre  Match thread that on BEIN, about 30 mins pre match the commentator said " Leon Bailey is in, but we are told that could change, we'll have more later ".

Did he have a problem? Was he/is he even fit?

Although, if he did have a problem, surely we should have started someone else?

Emery also mentioned " some circumstances " affected us the last few days ( After mentioning the injuries )

Anyway, could be nothing, or just something administrative, but it just came back to mind.

Something doesn’t look right… his body language and expression are quite concerning…

Both against Valencia and now Newcastle… he looks defeated and shattered… what is going on?

I want him to come good but it’s getting harder n harder to be patient with him or believe in him… he was very poor yesterday and those passing stats are very concerning… maybe he’s just not suited to an Unai team either…

I’d like to see him play with a smile on his face, looking determined, aggressive… he seems to have lost belief…

Time to get rid - done nothing for us, doesn’t excite me, lightweight. Can anyone point out what he brings to our team ? 
At least Bertie - offers something insanely ridiculous and can be a pleasure to watch.

Neither will be starters so keep Bertie and bin Bailey 

3 hours ago, david-avfc said:

Not sure if it's been posted already but according to whoscored stats he had a passing accuracy of 35% (giving the ball away 9 times), a crossing accuracy of 0% (giving the ball away 3 times) and was "dispossessed" 4 times and made one further unsuccessful dribble with success rate of 0%. He apparently touched the ball 28 times and gave it away at least 17 times. Those stats are up there with some of the worst I've ever seen, watching the game it was obvious he was playing poorly, but seeing the stats as they are, it's just shocking how remarkably bad they are.

The guy had a big reputation, a big transfer free and big wages, a lot of hype from his agent etc but honestly he is no better than what we had before. It might sound knee-jerk but after that game yesterday I've just given up on him now, he has been too poor for too long and if he is still as useless after a full summer working with Emery then the writing is on the wall. Some might call me old fashioned but I prefer our players to help the team by not giving the ball to the opposition over half the times they touch it. 

Absolutely horrendous, that can’t be defended… way below the required standards…

Something is up though… something is “off” with Leon…

Edited by Jas10

4 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Do we know he is fully fit yet?

He looked a little off yesterday and it would explain the lack of pace and intensity

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

He pretty much came straight from the Gold Cup to pre season. I don't think he even had a summer break

In that case… he shouldn’t have been playing…

Not like we don’t have anyone else to come into the side…

I’m thinking we would have been better off with Diaby on the wing, McGinn on the right side and Coutinho supporting Ollie…McGinn can perform in that role too…but  he was remarkably absent and ineffective in that game…

3 hours ago, Derryvillan said:

He reminded me yesterday of Bert/Trez in defensive duties.Dropping back as a gesture rather than trying to dispossess the opposition. 

Unfair on Trez… the main thing he lacked was quality not endeavour… worked his ass off for us and helped out loads in terms of defending…

Glad we moved him on and tried to bring in better though…

I’ll always have a soft spot for Berty but can acknowledge his faults… I do feel that had he been fit and playing (into form) instead of Bailey all that time… he would have contributed more… similarly to how well he did in his debut, lockdown season…

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

He’s got no fight in him, none whatsoever. Pushed off the ball constantly.

No improvement since he joined, happy to see him leave to be honest .

He’s arguably or actually gone downhill… performances have declined? Or maybe just up and down?

Has contributed under Unai… but few and far between…

The thing is… he is capable of a hell of a lot more/better…. What is holding him back???

12 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

Time to get rid - done nothing for us, doesn’t excite me, lightweight. Can anyone point out what he brings to our team ? 
At least Bertie - offers something insanely ridiculous and can be a pleasure to watch.

Neither will be starters so keep Bertie and bin Bailey 

Berty in lockdown was a lot better… I don’t think that can even be debated… just not sure he can ever reach those levels again and has become very injury prone…

He won’t be at Villa much longer…

I think it’s time we move on. For everyone’s sake. Not trying to be so reactionary after the first game of the season but the story has been the same since he arrived. Besides, it would probably do him some good, psychologically and physically, to have a change of scenery.

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Berty in lockdown was a lot better… I don’t think that can even be debated… just not sure he can ever reach those levels again and has become very injury prone…

He won’t be at Villa much longer…

We are talking the thickness of a rizla better 

I am surprised he is still here after his repeated non-shows last season. Offers nothing and I think we have all been very patient with him. Although I would say that went he went off, we somehow looked worse as Newcastle still has be wary of him while he’s on the pitch. Which is surprising as soon as he has the ball, he runs into a blind alley and falls over.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I think it’s time we move on. For everyone’s sake. Not trying to be so reactionary after the first game of the season but the story has been the same since he arrived. Besides, it would probably do him some good, psychologically and physically, to have a change of scenery.

The thing is though, this discussion is not based off of one game. It’s mainly an “appraisal” of Leon’s whole time here…

We are not seeing any improvement… seems fair to raise questions or concerns… we need to see “something” from him resembling improvement and progress…

Not to just say “he’s shit” though…

Edited by Jas10

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

The thing is though, this discussion is not based off of one game. It’s mainly an “appraisal” of Leon’s whole time here…

We are not seeing any improvement… seems fair to raise questions or concerns… we need to see “something” from him resembling improvement and progress…

Not to just say “he’s shit” though…

Exactly. And that was my point by saying the story has been the same since he's arrived. It's just never clicked for him here, whether it be bad luck with injuries or simply being inconsistent. I think he's been given a very generous amount of time to show what he's capable of, what he achieved in Germany. But it's simply not working out and it's probably at that point where it would be better off for the two parties to just part ways.

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Something doesn’t look right… his body language and expression are quite concerning…

Both against Valencia and now Newcastle… he looks defeated and shattered… what is going on?

I want him to come good but it’s getting harder n harder to be patient with him or believe in him… he was very poor yesterday and those passing stats are very concerning… maybe he’s just not suited to an Unai team either…

I’d like to see him play with a smile on his face, looking determined, aggressive… he seems to have lost belief…

Valencia is when I gave up

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Exactly. And that was my point by saying the story has been the same since he's arrived. It's just never clicked for him here, whether it be bad luck with injuries or simply being inconsistent. I think he's been given a very generous amount of time to show what he's capable of, what he achieved in Germany. But it's simply not working out and it's probably at that point where it would be better off for the two parties to just part ways.

Yeah I agree, looks like he definitely needs a change of scenery. Even a loan then return when he’s in a better state…

I don’t think anyone’s going to offer us a decent fee for him with the way his form and injury record has been…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Valencia is when I gave up

Feel for you mate, I was so excited when we signed him.

I still believe he has loads to offer but it’s all about “unlocking it” and how??

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

He’s got no fight in him, none whatsoever. Pushed off the ball constantly.

No improvement since he joined, happy to see him leave to be honest .

Pretty much this. Massive liability.  Effort should not be optional.

• Like 1

Â