Fantasy NFL 2021/22

Beastmix

For next season, the points raised during this season were:

1: Longer draft pick time.
2: Reverse draft order (NFL style - last place picks first) - should consolation playoff winner earn #1 pick?
3: One-day trade processing
4: No waiver window. Just first come/first served on the free agents.
5: Change playoffs from top 6 to top 8

It might make it easier for me to track if we copy/paste the above and add our two cents in bold.

ex:

1: Longer draft pick time - One minute? 45 seconds? I think we had it at 30 seconds last time.
2: Reverse draft order (NFL style - last place picks first) - should NEXT SEASON'S consolation playoff winner earn #1 pick? Gives consolation draft players something to play for (spices it up a bit), but it would be slightly unfair on whoever genuinely has the worst team. - I'm totally open on this one, but just wanted to play devil's advocate a bit.
3: One-day trade processing - fine by me.
4: No waiver window. Just first come/first served on the free agents - I think it gives those up at 3/4am (GMT) a slight advantage, so I'd stick with what we have.
5: Change playoffs from top 6 to top 8 - against this. I think it makes the league less competitive. A 12 team league where only four teams miss out? Pass. Top half in, bottom half out.

• Like 1

1: Longer draft pick time - at least 45 seconds, 1 minute could get tedious if people are dragging it out.  But it's about being able to select the best players for your teams so whatever makes it fair.
2: Reverse draft order (NFL style - last place picks first) - should consolation playoff winner earn #1 pick? - Did I win the consolation playoffs?  If I did, I don't want the #1 pick.  I personally think the order should be reverse finishing position so worst goes first and best goes last.  I'll be quite happy sat there in the middle thank you :)
3: One-day trade processing - Yep
4: No waiver window. Just first come/first served on the free agents. - can waiver windows be set to a better time than current (I don't know what the current time is btw).  It does bother me that you only find out on the Wednesday before that you have a player so I would suggest any player dropped during a live weekend can't be claimed but otherwise, they are readily available.
5: Change playoffs from top 6 to top 8 - I'm up for expanding it.  If it's close, then it keeps the league relevant right to the end

• Like 1

1: Longer draft pick time. - Quicker draft suits me but I don't mind. 1 minute per pick is alright I think.
2: Reverse draft order (NFL style - last place picks first) - should consolation playoff winner earn #1 pick? - Don't mind the reverse draft order, don't think the consolation playoff winner should earn the #1 this season at least as I think it should be made clear before the start of the season. For instance I didn't pick up any new players for the consolation playoffs as I didn't want to interfere with anyone trying to win the actual league. If the number one pick was at stake I might have. Then again, for those who don't make the playoffs, I think it should be reverse order of when the regular season ends.
3: One-day trade processing - Sure
4: No waiver window. Just first come/first served on the free agents. - Don't know about this. I like the waiver period, but perhaps it could be shorter?
5: Change playoffs from top 6 to top 8 - No thanks, think it disadvantages the sides who have fought for the top few spots (not that I'll ever be there haha).

• Like 1

Just to be clear, the consolation draft winner getting #1 pick would not be valid for this up-coming draft. I was posing the idea (which I don't necessary even like) for future seasons.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Beastmix said:

Just to be clear, the consolation draft winner getting #1 pick would not be valid for this up-coming draft. I was posing the idea (which I don't necessary even like) for future seasons.

Thanks for clarifying @Beastmix My personal view is that the #1 pick isn't a reward in fantasy football so the incentive would be low.  Just my opinion.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tubby said:

Thanks for clarifying @Beastmix My personal view is that the #1 pick isn't a reward in fantasy football so the incentive would be low.  Just my opinion.

Well I was pick 10 this year, by which time all the top RB's had gone.

yahoo suggested grabbing the best WR at 10 if there were no top RBs which is what I did.

So if anyone doesn't want the #1 pick I'll have it :)

53 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

yahoo suggested grabbing the best WR at 10 if there were no top RBs which is what I did.

Which injury bust would you have taken? Henry? McCaffrey? 😉

16 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

Which injury bust would you have taken? Henry? McCaffrey? 😉

I'd have gone for Big Dog. I had him the year before and he was pretty much the only player who did anything.

I'm certainly avoiding mccaffrey next time, way too injury prone.

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

It's not the #1 pick that bothers me as such, it's waiting to 24 and 25 before making the next selection.  It's a hard strategy to get right cause most of the top WRs are gone by then and you're left with a top RB, a serviceable WR and possibly a good TE or premature dip into the QB market.

It might just be me mind you, I average 7th for a reason 🤣

48 minutes ago, Tubby said:

It's not the #1 pick that bothers me as such, it's waiting to 24 and 25 before making the next selection.  It's a hard strategy to get right cause most of the top WRs are gone by then and you're left with a top RB, a serviceable WR and possibly a good TE or premature dip into the QB market.

It might just be me mind you, I average 7th for a reason 🤣

Oh the Snake system. Yeah I don't like that either. 

Should be like nfl, same pick every round (although I'd probably end up with a team of shite). 

Snake system works for fantasy 

Otherwise if you won it this season you'd end up with 12th, 24th, 36th picks etc in the next draft. You'd have a bag of shite team and wouldn't be worth playing. 

In the snake system - someone gets picks 1 and 24, someone gets 12 and 13 - evens out that way

1: Longer draft pick time - One minute? 45 seconds? 30 seconds is fine - should only take 10 seconds to pick - you should be watching the board before selecting to see who you want/who has gone (well I do anyway)

2: Reverse draft order (NFL style - last place picks first) - should NEXT SEASON'S consolation playoff winner earn #1 pick? Gives consolation draft players something to play for (spices it up a bit), but it would be slightly unfair on whoever genuinely has the worst team. - Not fussed - go with the consensus 

3: One-day trade processing - Fine

4: No waiver window. Just first come/first served on the free agents - Stick with what we have

5: Change playoffs from top 6 to top 8 - Stick to top 6 - if you're not in the top 50% then no playoffs (usually me! :D) It was still open this year until the very end with only 1 or 2 teams being out of contention anyway. 

Thanks for sorting @Beastmix

Congrats @Beastmix, pretty happy with 3rd after the draft report and pre season predictions.

1: Longer draft pick time. 

45 secs is enough

2: Reverse draft order (NFL style - last place picks first) - should consolation playoff winner earn #1 pick?

Pure snake from previous season's final league placings seem to be fairest across all leagues.

3: One-day trade processing.

Yet to approve a trade yet they always go through!  They always seem one sided, last one i saw in ours the traded in players on one side was dropped inside a week....

4: No waiver window. Just first come/first served on the free agents.

No cchange for this from me, it worked fine this season. Ain't broke why fix it.

5: Change playoffs from top 6 to top 8

Keeps season 'active' for more players which for me is as important.  Have any teams done well from 7th or 8th as I am sure we used to use Top8? 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LancsVillan said:

Congrats @Beastmix, pretty happy with 3rd after the draft report and pre season predictions.

Ahh, the wonderful 'draft predictions', haha. Barely ever right. This is what they said about my draft this year:

"Entering the draft with a solid draft position (No. 6 overall), expectations were high for Amnesiacs. After they drafted, though, those expectations disappeared immediately, as this team looks to be on track for a lackluster 7th-place finish in VillaTalk 2021."

Out of all those the only thing I've got a suggestion for is waiver period.

This season I think it was normal waivers on Wednesday morning but then anyone dropped wouldn't be available to pick up until the Sunday. I believe their is a setting whereby after Wednesday everyone dropped can be on 1 or 2 day waivers? Pretty sure that's what we had before so it was Wednesday-Friday-Sunday.

Everything else I'm happy to go with consensus.

Edited by rhyscartwright_avfc
  • Like 1

On 07/01/2022 at 21:32, Hornso said:

I don’t want to jump the gun but unfortunately I feel the #1 pick will be open to a league newcomer next season.

Nice carrot to dangle.

I don't know the details other than the posts earlier in the thread, so do you say this because BM doesn't want to play, or because sadly he won't be well enough?

Wondering if we can make a gesture in memoriam if the latter i.e. rename the trophy?

Edit: not meaning to come across as insensitive by the way, it's just an idea how we might recognise someone that's been a part of the fabric for decades.

Edited by Tubby
  • Like 1

Â