VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

I had one CD album that if you held down the "rewind" (i.e. skip second) button at the very start of track 1, there was a couple super secret bars of intro to the album opener.

To this day (and despite taking an HND in Music Production) I don't understand the voodoo required to make that happen (which might be why I failed said HND).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bickster said:

Its an audiophile response.

It's not, they live in their own bubble of bullshit that relies on faith.

I'm talking about the reality of delivery. Squeezing the most out of CD, vinyl and the streamed codecs.

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Perhaps an analogy would be cars. There are cars like the Polestar 2, or a Maybach, or a Lamborghini Urus, or even a latest model Honda Jazz that do everything better than any car that has gone before them. My own car has auto braking, sat nav, 8 speakers, 7 speed automatic, and can do 60mpg. My favourite ever car? The 1971 VW Beetle we had. Didn’t always start, didn’t always stop, passenger door couldn’t be opened, drivers door couldn’t be locked. Loved that car.

There's separate issues here. Do you like something? That's purely subjective. Accuracy of reproduction? That's empirical, and can be measured.

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I assume the way music is consumed has reduced this frequency of it.

Hidden extra tracks are still around. Last one I picked up was on the Inkipak album 'Slip', from this year.

33 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

I don't understand the voodoo required to make that happen (which might be why I failed said HND).

It's to do with PQ coding, which initially was done manually and invited experimentation. When it became automated this sort of editing became less common.

Sigue Sigue Sputnik's 'Flaunt It' is one of the coolest titles for this.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Xann said:

It's not, they live in their own bubble of bullshit that relies on faith.

I'm talking about the reality of delivery. Squeezing the most out of CD, vinyl and the streamed codecs.

Call it what you want, it's just not something that interests me, it used to but it's just too nerdy for my time

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Oh yeah and closed grooves at the end of albums, can't do that on a CD can you

Can't remember who did it - it might even have been a Monty Python album - but ISTR somebody making an LP that had two 'parallel' grooves on one side. Depending where the needle dropped, you'd hear one recording or the other. Particularly effective if you randomly got the same one for the first several plays, and were then confused the first time it played from the 'other' groove. 

2 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

I had one CD album that if you held down the "rewind" (i.e. skip second) button at the very start of track 1, there was a couple super secret bars of intro to the album opener.

Pretty sure I've got at least one that does that - although I'm damned if I remember which one it is. 

The standard thing is when the CD insert lists (say) ten tracks, but the player display says eleven - track 11 will probably have a lead-in of several minutes of silence. And I think one of the Stone Roses CDs has a huge number of extra tracks, most of which are a few seconds of silence, before you eventually get to one with actual music. Once you know which one it is you can of course go straight to it if you wish. 

I think the first ever secret track was an accident - 'Her Majesty' at the end of side two of The Beatles' 'Abbey Road'. It was originally going to be part of the 'long medley', but they changed their mind and edited it out - this was in the days when such things were done by physically cutting and reattaching the actual tape. It got stuck back on the end of the recording, but they forgot it was there, and mastered from that tape (you can hear that the last guitar chord was chopped off). Decided it was serendipity, and left in on the album. 

2 minutes ago, Xann said:

There's game multigroove LPs. The famous one is a horse race where one of four nags comes in first, depending on which groove the needle catches?

Oh, that's right, I'd forgotten about those. 

47 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The standard thing is when the CD insert lists (say) ten tracks, but the player display says eleven - track 11 will probably have a lead-in of several minutes of silence. And I think one of the Stone Roses CDs has a huge number of extra tracks, most of which are a few seconds of silence, before you eventually get to one with actual music. Once you know which one it is you can of course go straight to it if you wish. 

iirc its track 99 on Second Coming

• Thanks 1

There is also a Super Furries EP that has a closed groove in the middle of the record so you have to get up and bump the needle if you want to hear the last track on that side. Chris will know which one it is, B-Sides from RIngs around the world maybe that came out on RSD the other year.

I've also got a Papernut Cambridge album that plays from the inside out on one side

• Like 1

A fair few SFA records mess with standard closed loops.

Guerilla, has a closed loop that ends one side, on the B there is another closed loop after the 4 songs listed, but you can lift the needle place it on the run out groove, but its ‘backward’ and pushes the needle back in to the record to reveal a backward playing ‘secret’ fifth unlisted track.

I don’t think I’ve explained that very well, but you get the gist, 4 tracks play ‘normal, secret last track plays backwards on a reversed groove.

Same album is gatefold with pop up 3D artwork.

Without derailing the other thread with more music talk

@rjw63 said jools was no good tonight so I had a look at just how bad... Rod Stewart and Joss Stone 😳 'kin hell what are they thinking?

Looks like songs from the national, bombay bicycle club, royal blood and the streets so maybe not all bad (although none of them have anything decent from this year which they'll no doubt play) 

On 29/12/2023 at 15:02, mjmooney said:

Can't remember who did it - it might even have been a Monty Python album - but ISTR somebody making an LP that had two 'parallel' grooves on one side. Depending where the needle dropped, you'd hear one recording or the other. Particularly effective if you randomly got the same one for the first several plays, and were then confused the first time it played from the 'other' groove. 

Pythons Matching Tie and Handkerchief 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Without derailing the other thread with more music talk

@rjw63 said jools was no good tonight so I had a look at just how bad... Rod Stewart and Joss Stone 😳 'kin hell what are they thinking?

Looks like songs from the national, bombay bicycle club, royal blood and the streets so maybe not all bad (although none of them have anything decent from this year which they'll no doubt play) 

Shit, is Ruby Turner unemployed now?

Stopped watching Hooteybollox years ago, year on year it became worse and worse, oh look Lenny Henry’s in the audience again, so is Ade Edmunson, blah blah blah.

• Like 1

Decided to watch ibiza classics at the proms, the wife lives dance music, I know a fair bit of it and can tolerate it without liking it, one of my biggest complaints would be the dickhead dj in the booth giving it the Barry mcbiggun 

It's awesome to be fair to Pete tong 

My biggest complaint in dance music and hip hop is just play with a band, I'd actually pay to watch this live, it's such a different vibe 

Watching the prom thing, not many people I think on her like dance music myself included so I genuinely don't know the answer to this - 

How good was this album? 

image.png.e930d9c481e66d21c23a22461e7b0dd9.png

I loved it, would say it's up there with chase and status no more idols as the big main dance album of the decade, above Calvin Harris 18 months 

Dunno cos it's not my world 

21 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Watching the prom thing, not many people I think on her like dance music myself included so I genuinely don't know the answer to this - 

How good was this album? 

image.png.e930d9c481e66d21c23a22461e7b0dd9.png

I loved it, would say it's up there with chase and status no more idols as the big main dance album of the decade, above Calvin Harris 18 months 

Dunno cos it's not my world 

Was a decent album, but my god that early era Rudimental got flogged to ****. There's tunes on there that still rip a dancefloor up now, but also a lot of 'Radio 2' dance music too.

Also, I once stole a packet of Quavers from Rudimentals private tent at a festival, so **** you Locksmith, I had your dinner that night :D 

• Like 1

On 29/12/2023 at 16:03, bickster said:

iirc its track 99 on Second Coming

I think it's number 90 (out of 99).

Another example of useless information taking up space in my brain that could have stored atomic numbers or something more interesting.

• Like 2

On 20/12/2023 at 11:26, Seat68 said:

I have Erpland and Live Underslunky, neither of which have been played in decades, might scare my daughter by putting them on.

Pungent Efflugent and Strangeitude are the two I still listen to on a regular basis. Part of the work mp3 selection. I also have a copy of Afterswish which rarely gets a look in.

I think I mentioned a few years ago that I met Merv a couple of times. The second time I was a bit of a fanboy and plucked up the courage to mention he's one of my favourite drummers of all time. Very uncool of me I know but he's genuinely one of my drumming idols. We had a nice chat. I made him a hot chocolate.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Erpland and Live Underslunky

55 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Pungent Efflugent and Strangeitude. I also have a copy of Afterswish

ef8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â