UK local elections 2021

mjmooney

16 minutes ago, Xela said:

Maybe Starmer needs to do a similar video. 

Yeah but he'd miss the point and it would have high production values and it would fail completely

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Have they? The voted in a man in a monkey suit (the football club mascot) who stood as a joke for Mayor for three mayoral election cycles

Best primate for the job!

• Like 1

Looking to be close to no change for the Senedd.

Possibly Plaid down a couple, Tories up a couple, Labour unchanged, but nothing like the shift to blue being seen elsewhere,

UKIP / Reform / Abolish appear to have split the BritNat nutter vote to an extent potentially none of them will get a single regional / proportional seat. Which would be really quite nice. Looks like Lib Dem’s in a similar position, they’ve probably lost their last remaining seat.

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Sadiq Khan is right on the edge of losing the London Mayoral race to Shaun Bailey - if you'd voted for Bailey it could have made the difference! 😆

I think it'll be largely the same margin as last time, ie not particularly close. Inner London areas have barely started counting yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Sadiq Khan is right on the edge of losing the London Mayoral race to Shaun Bailey - if you'd voted for Bailey it could have made the difference! 😆

Bailey isnt winning

56 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think it'll be largely the same margin as last time, ie not particularly close. Inner London areas have barely started counting yet.

This unfortunately.  Another 3 years of khan. Ergh.

Cant he just get another job in the labour party for the love of god

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Bit harsh - deserves some credit for all the improvements to transport...

Reveal hidden contents

DecisiveAmbitiousFirecrest-size_restrict

Can i send him to your town? Im sure you will love all the improvements 😉

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Can i send him to your town? Im sure you will love all the improvements 😉

Out of curiosity (genuinely), how does the Green policy on transport vary from Labour in London?

I can’t imagine they are more pro car? Did you like that they were for cheaper or expanded public transport or something?

10 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Out of curiosity (genuinely), how does the Green policy on transport vary from Labour in London?

I can’t imagine they are more pro car? Did you like that they were for cheaper or expanded public transport or something?

They were against LTNs believe it or not.

But it was more a protest vote at how the shit the two main parties are

• Like 1

On 06/05/2021 at 22:31, bickster said:

Not as dumb as FPTP, I'd take it further and go full STV for elections. Limiting it to first and second pref only is just wilfully limiting, though currently in this country going past second prefs is unlikely, its the principal of it.

Having two columns is also dumb, I'm sure the electorate can be trusted to write 1 2 3 4 etc in one column. If they can't do that correctly it'll only rule out Tory votes anyway :trollface:

On 06/05/2021 at 22:38, HanoiVillan said:

Do you mean STV, or ranked choice/instant runoff?

I agree that ranked choice would be better, as you say there's no need to limit people to two preferences, and in practice doing so is just a gift to Labour and the Tories as it allows them to field inept candidates that barely scrape a plurality, knowing they will gather all the second preferences.

Supplementary vote seems to exist in this weird gap halfway between first past the post and ranked choice, without the benefit of either but being 'simpler' (I don't actually agree that it's simpler than ranked choice, but people seem to feel it is).

I had missed this @bickster, but apparently the Tories have decided to ditch the supplementary vote system for mayoral and PCC elections from now on:

• Sad 1

We had a strange quirk where 16 and 17 year olds could vote - but not for PCC’s, so they only got 2 ballot papers to fill in, where everyone 18 plus got 3 ballot papers.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

We had a strange quirk where 16 and 17 year olds could vote - but not for PCC’s, so they only got 2 ballot papers to fill in, where everyone 18 plus got 3 ballot papers.

'come on now kids, we trust you, but not *that* much . . . there's a PCC election on the line!'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, sidcow said:

WM Mayor has to be decided on second choices.  I have no idea what this means. 

It means no one made 50% on the first choice ballot - which given Street's expected win is almost some sort of victory in itself for Labour.

I got very confused when I saw on the Birmingham mail that Bryne had one the first round. Then I realised this was for Birmingham only which is a fairly pointless headline.

Labour are actually regressing in the last 4 years. The west midlands is nearly all blue now apart from areas right in the city centres.

I am in favour of any system other than first past the post which of course massively helps the Tories.

In Worcestershire for example the Tories got slightly less than  50% of the vote, and nearly 80% of all the seats (45 out of 57). How is that democratic?

28 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Street got 48.9% apparently so it was close to being won on first votes with Byrne on 39.7%.

I'd still expect Street to come through.

London is closer.

Its incredible on this site being a west midland area is pro labour but conservatives are doing well there, yet in london labour is doing better.

You lot need to move to london!

Â