UK local elections 2021

mjmooney

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Yep your absolutely right. The capital is mainly labour. It really is stange hiw the south is becoming labour and the north conservative these days.

Its bizarre

Mainly a function of education polarisation. It's increasingly true that the higher the level of a person's highest qualification, the more likely they are to vote left, and vice versa. This pattern seems to be true in the US too. 

On average, southerners are more qualified than northerners. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Yep your absolutely right. The capital is mainly labour. It really is stange hiw the south is becoming labour and the north conservative these days.

Its bizarre

Its not the North, its just Brexit Whopperland

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Mainly a function of education polarisation. It's increasingly true that the higher the level of a person's highest qualification, the more likely they are to vote left, and vice versa. This pattern seems to be true in the US too. 

Its interesting. I never would have thought the patterns would go like this 10-15 years ago

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Shhhh, Dem's moving North to Broxborne, you cant say that about him

• Haha 2

Something I'm a bit confused over is why Greens are doing so well. 

In the 80's they were seen as a bit of a nut job party, rather like Prince Charles. Now of course we realise that their aims were actually noble and they brought much needed focus to issues which are really important that most people didn't realise were really important at the time. 

Now however all the major parties do realise that these are massively important issues and have taken it on board that things need to be done..... Indeed things ARE being done.

Now you can argue just how seriously they take it, and be a bit sceptical about it. But we are still a long long way ahead of most other countries in what we are actually doing, admittedly behind some but definitely premier league. In Windpower in particular we are steaming ahead. 

Clean air zones are being introduced, there are strict rules around new homes. 

OK there have also been a lot of cock ups on various schemes, but at least there were schemes. 

Anyway, I know a lot of people are passionate about this but I just find it a little odd that there is a big increase in Green Vote.  I guess in my mind I draw parallels with voting UKIP now we are out of Europe.  The Green argument has been pretty much won now. 

I'm sure I've got this totally wrong and am about to be put in my place but I just don't get it. 

Edited by sidcow

43 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Labour voters pissed off with the infighting. 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, sidcow said:

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Labour voters pissed off with the infighting. 

@mjmooney is right. The general pattern historically is that the Greens' fortunes wax and wane largely opposite to Labour's. They mostly function as a temporary guilt-free depository for dispirited Labour voters.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

@mjmooney is right. The general pattern historically is that the Greens' fortunes wax and wane largely opposite to Labour's. They mostly function as a temporary guilt-free depository for dispirited Labour voters.

It's kind of shocking that the Lib Dems have become so utterly irrelevant that they can't even win protest votes from the main parties. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

It's kind of shocking that the Lib Dems have become so utterly irrelevant that they can't even win protest votes from the main parties. 

I'm not sure it is that shocking, they used to be the protesdt vote in many areas but then Nick Clegg and coalition happened and everyone has very long memories and remembers how we got to where we are right now

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I don't think the Lib Dems perform this function very well after 2015, for Labour voters. Pre-2010 it was a different story.

Although to be honest it may be different in different parts of the country.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Broxborne North.png

I know its north i just wanted to see if u would take the time and post it and i knew u would. You really need to go to a Career in teaching 😉

Edited by Demitri_C

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I actually think it’s simpler than this, massive generalisations coming:

Northerners and although not the same demographic poorer people are more nationalist. Much likelier to vote for flag waving party.

Londoners/younger people feel much closer to Europe and or want more equality.

Education could be the driver for these but I find it hard to say all of the north or everyone voting tory is stupid and uneducated, rather they are happy to ignore policy and actions for something they perceive to be more important.

Just now, Nicho said:

Northerners and although not the same demographic poorer people are more nationalist. Much likelier to vote for flag waving party.

Londoners/younger people feel much closer to Europe and or want more equality.

Education could be the driver for these but I find it hard to say all of the north or everyone voting tory is stupid and uneducated, rather they are happy to ignore policy and actions for something they perceive to be more important.

Just to be clear, that is not what I'm saying. I'm neither saying anything about 'all of the north' nor 'everyone voting Tory', and on an individual level, having a higher level of academic qualification does not equal 'intelligence', and indeed there are many forms of intelligence.

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Just to be clear, that is not what I'm saying. I'm neither saying anything about 'all of the north' nor 'everyone voting Tory', and on an individual level, having a higher level of academic qualification does not equal 'intelligence', and indeed there are many forms of intelligence.

No I know you weren’t, was just qualifying that I wasn’t. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Population of North West 7-8 million

Population of North East 3 million

The North West is not remotely the same as the North East in political opinion and outlook

Its a small subset of "The North"

• Like 1

Â