UK local elections 2021

mjmooney

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Its incredible on this site being a west midland area is pro labour but conservatives are doing well there, yet in london labour is doing better.

You lot need to move to london!

Sod that, I hear its a bugger to use your car. 

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Its incredible on this site being a west midland area is pro labour but conservatives are doing well there, yet in london labour is doing better.

You lot need to move to london!

The city of Birmingham is a Labour area, maybe the city of Wolverhampton too, but the West Midlands area is a collection of Tory towns and villages. 

It's a little like if London included the home counties in its voting I guess.

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Its incredible on this site being a west midland area is pro labour but conservatives are doing well there

A Conservative is doing well there. Singular

This is the current make up of Birmingham Council

Labour65

Conservative27

Liberal Democrats8

Green1

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

A Conservative is doing well there. Singular

This is the current make up of Birmingham Council

Labour65

Conservative27

Liberal Democrats8

Green1

The Conservatives have seen more success in the Midlands this afternoon, taking control of Cannock Chase District Council for the first time since it was created in 1974.

The party won 12 of the 13 seats up for contention, with the final seat going to an independent candidate.

The authority has had no overall control since 2019, when Labour lost the ruling majority.

Meanwhile, the Tories have also taken control of Worcester City Council, which also previously had no party in overall control, while Labour lost four seats.

Taken from the bbc

Also andy street is winning the mayor race more comfortably than khan is in london. Id say thata a success for them

Edited by Demitri_C

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Taken from the bbc

Also andy street is winning the mayor race more comfortably than khan is in london. Id say thata a success for them

Cannock Chase isn't even in the West Midlands Dem. Just like Broxbourne isn't in Greater London

Like I said A single Conservative (Street) is doing well in Birmingham

9 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Street confirmed winner of the West Mids mayoral election

Just switched over to see if they interviewed him bearing in mind they've had wall to wall Andy Burnham for the last 2 hours. 

They showed the first 30 seconds of his thanks then cut off as the shows about to end. 

I bet if it was Manchester or London they were hearing from now they would have extended the programme.  West Midlands? Just shut it off. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Just switched over to see if they interviewed him bearing in mind they've had wall to wall Andy Burnham for the last 2 hours. 

They showed the first 30 seconds of his thanks then cut off as the shows about to end. 

I bet if it was Manchester or London they were hearing from now they would have extended the programme.  West Midlands? Just shut it off. 

It's weird how much less fuss there is about the West Mids race, but I think it's some combination of Burnham's margin of victory being so big (whereas Street has if anything underperformed expectations), and Burnham being a well-known figure nationally who will presumably return to front-line national politics at some point, whereas Street seems to be very much a regional figure.

Well it wasnt a comfortable khan win as the polls all predicted. Thats why i was saying forget what they said when that khan up at 60% and baily in 29%

If a unlikeable bloke like bailey can almost win it goes to show that alot of london agrees he is a shit mayor

Screenshot_20210508-183911_Facebook.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's weird how much less fuss there is about the West Mids race, but I think it's some combination of Burnham's margin of victory being so big (whereas Street has if anything underperformed expectations), and Burnham being a well-known figure nationally who will presumably return to front-line national politics at some point, whereas Street seems to be very much a regional figure.

I find most press are far more Manchester biased (London goes without saying) compared to the West Midlands. 

Obviously the BBC has a big presence there but generally any reference to Birmingham in any kind of national TV or press will be very sneering, if it's mentioned at all,  but Manchester will always be reported in a very positive light. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's a definitely a significant under-performance v expectations @Demitri_C I agree.

I don't think either London in general, or Khan in person, have been well-served by the Tories just giving up and selecting a duffer like Bailey. Khan's been in low-effort cruise-control for ages, would have been better if he'd been forced to up his game.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's a definitely a significant under-performance v expectations @Demitri_C I agree.

I don't think either London in general, or Khan in person, have been well-served by the Tories just giving up and selecting a duffer like Bailey. Khan's been in low-effort cruise-control for ages, would have been better if he'd been forced to up his game.

Baileys a awful choice. Not sure why they thought having him would be  agood idea. But labour cant celebrate this win. Andy Burnham performed better than khan has.

For bailey to even be this close is embarassing 

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Baileys a awful choice. Not sure why they thought having him would be  agood idea.

The Tories are generally very far behind Labour in the capital nowadays, and as a result of that, and of Johnson winning twice, they seem to have convinced themselves that the candidates need to have a 'thing' that makes them 'not a typical Tory'. Johnson's 'thing' was that you knew him off the telly, Goldsmith's 'thing' was that he was sincerely into green politics, and Bailey's 'thing' is that he's black.

The problem is if you listen to Bailey talk about anything for any period of time, he starts to sound like he should be in the Republican party, let alone the Tories.

I did the count for my Local Authority today.  I don't normally bother because I like my bed too much. Something happened relevant to a question @chrisp65asked me earlier in the thread.  

Contrary to popular belief your vote is not automatically disregarded if you don't use a "x" to mark your selection.  However, your intention must be clear.  One ballot paper had 4 candidates marked with a "NO"  and the remaining candidate was left blank.  It was probably @bickster vote. He always does something to annoy me.  My first opinion was that it was unclear and therefore would be spoilt. But a desperate candidate needing 1 vote to win could argue the point.  

I must inform the candidates of the matter.  Which I did.  But rather than declare it spoilt,  I told the candidates I needed to think about it.  Whilst I was thinking about it  I happened to look up the the running totals. There was an obvious winner.  

I called everyone back together and announced it would be spoilt.  The candidates knew what I had done and accepted the decision.  But had the count been close I would have undoubtedly decided to pass the decision to the Returning Officer.  

It's a good example of a pragmatic solution being used in the absence of a hard and fast rulebook which covers every scenario. 

PS - please mark your votes with a clear "x".  If you don't people like me have to actually earn our money.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

The Tories are generally very far behind Labour in the capital nowadays, and as a result of that, and of Johnson winning twice, they seem to have convinced themselves that the candidates need to have a 'thing' that makes them 'not a typical Tory'. Johnson's 'thing' was that you knew him off the telly, Goldsmith's 'thing' was that he was sincerely into green politics, and Bailey's 'thing' is that he's black.

The problem is if you listen to Bailey talk about anything for any period of time, he starts to sound like he should be in the Republican party, let alone the Tories.

Yep your absolutely right. The capital is mainly labour. It really is stange hiw the south is becoming labour and the north conservative these days.

Its bizarre

• Like 1

Â