Returnal

dubbs

PlayStation 5 exclusive from Housemarque, who've previously made Resogun and Super Stardust HD.

First things first - this  is a tough game! Everytime you die you go back to the start - your caught in a death loop. And each time you die the world changes a bit.  The controls are intuitive and make fantastic use of the Dualsense controller.  Oh and you need to play this with headphones on.  The use of the 3D audio system is up there with Hunt Showdown.  Graphically its made in a typical Housemarque manner - vibrant colours, very neon, and it looks great.

The death loop will put some off but I don't see it as a reason not to get it.  Each time you die you find me areas which were previously inaccessible.  

Yes the price is a bit steep but that seems to be the way the market is going globally at the moment. 

Would of been nice to have a demo because I think that would have helped a lot of people decide whether its for them or not. 

• Like 2

I am loving Returnal, the gameplay loop is great fun and the challenge is brutal which is right where I want it.

I think the main thing that will put people off is there are no manual saves. This means if you're 3-4 hours into a run you either have to press on, or put all your faith into rest mode. The latter is a risk because power cuts and firmware updates will cause the game to close which will send you right back to the start of the game. I personally don't mind a lack of saves, I am very used to the permanence that comes with Roguelike games, but for £70 I think a lot of people will expect there to be saves.

If you like really hard games and don't mind the lack of manual saves then you'll probably love Returnal. This game is going to be a ton of fun. 

• Like 1

Interesting - a bullet hell 3rd person rouguelite! 

Looks right up my alley but alas, I don't have a PS5. I will probably pick up when I do get around to purchasing one - it gives me Risk of Rain 2 vibes.

The only down side I've come across so far is that you cannot save your progress!  The only way is to put your console in rest mode so you can pick up where you left off.  Whilst it's not a problem for me as I'm still in the early stages I can see it being a pain later on.  From what I've read,  Housemarque are working on patching in a save system. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dubbs said:

The only down side I've come across so far is that you cannot save your progress!  The only way is to put your console in rest mode so you can pick up where you left off.  Whilst it's not a problem for me as I'm still in the early stages I can see it being a pain later on.  From what I've read,  Housemarque are working on patching in a save system. 

They have said "we're listening", but haven't confirmed they'll be working on it.

We hear the community and we love you all. Nothing to announce now, but keep playing and enjoying the challenge as you can! #Returnal #PS5

Tweet (the tweet wasn't embedding so I did the next best thing)

I think in the end they'll copy the Binding of Isaac format where a save is created when you quit out, but that save is deleted after you load back in.

Part of me wonders if PS5 was meant to ship with a Series X style Quick Resume, but it just didn't happen. My initial thought was if PS5 had Quick Resume then this wouldn't be a problem at all. Series X can save the state of up to 11 games at once (depending on game size) and that state is saved even when the console is off. PS5 is last-gen in that regard, it can quick resume one game from rest mode, but if there is a firmware update, a power cut, or the console crashes on start up then that state is not saved anywhere, it just assumes you quit out of the game. 

I am in the same boat as you though. I don't mind the lack of saves and I'm perfectly happy to put my faith in rest mode, but I am curious how progressing further will test my faith. I don't know how I'll feel if rest mode fails me and a great run is lost, I hope I never have to find out. 

• Like 1

I don’t leave my ps5 in test mode unless I’m downloading or changing the controller. So lack of save function means a no no from me at the moment. I haven’t got time to sink 4 hours a time into a game

3 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I don’t leave my ps5 in test mode unless I’m downloading or changing the controller. So lack of save function means a no no from me at the moment. I haven’t got time to sink 4 hours a time into a game

I think Housemarque are hearing this more and more so I'd expect some kind of save system to be implemented in a future update. 

It's a run based roguelite game. That type of game tends not to have saves, your progress is more in unlocking upgrades - abilities for he character, new 'boost' items that might turn up in a run. It also has some progress saving - beat a boss and you don't need to do that again, you can skip them.

The game isn't like sitting down and being told 'beat God of War in one sitting'. It's more of an arcade game. It's basically an evolution of the twin stick shooter with some story structure - but even the story appears to have been built around the understanding that you will be going again and again before making many steps forward through it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was on the verge of trading this.  Its ridiculously hard in the 1st biome but finally did it. What a feeling! Its like Bloodborne all over again 🤣

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've just lost EVERYTHING progress wise on this game.   Back up on console and cloud are reset.   This is total sh#t so I'm getting rid of it tomorrow. 

Its a pity really cuz it is a good game but I can't replay it just to get back to where I was.  Apparently its happened to a few people since launch. 

• 1 year later...

Iirc they patched in a way of saving a run midway through, but it's not REALLY a save. It allows you to quit the game mid run and come back to it, but when you do the save is deleted. So essentially it's just a pause that is maintained when the game is closed.

• Like 1

Â