Breakaway League

Jareth

It's all about the players now. Do they go to the ESL or do they leave the ESL clubs.? There's the revenue driver. Imagine Messi leaving Barca because he can't play for Argentina one last time. He signs for Villa. Who are the broadcasters going to want to show on their platform? 

1 minute ago, magnkarl said:

Seems like the government is also planning to remove working permits of players in these 6 clubs as work in ESL is not classified as UK work. Fun.

Oohhhh.  That's certainly a way they can make life very difficult for them.

Would probably force them to move to a more friendly overseas territory like UAE or summat but would definitely preclude them from competing in the PL as well. 

If it goes ahead, and the 6 teams stay in the PL then it'll be interesting to see what competition(s) the managers prioritise. Do they risk supporter wrath by making 10 changes for Villa away because they've got a "Big Game" against Barca on Wednesday, or do they keep a strong side out, risk the Barca game and annoy the owner? Would the PL be more inclined to take sanctions against one of them making changes en masse?

Either way, if they want to go and take part in a self-fellating contest then let them, but they don't get to still play in the domestic league. One of the most annoying parts for me was "we want to play each other and make more money, but dont worry - we'll still prop you little uns up by playing in your little competition too." Go **** yourselves.

Politics is great isn't it?

A succession of talking heads all coming on and showing off their man-of-the-people football hipster qualifications and committing to looking to start to finalise a date to begin an inquiry, which will doubtless then do not much of anything at all.

A few months of fine words followed by a quiet white paper recommending nothing in particular.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

If it goes ahead, and the 6 teams stay in the PL then it'll be interesting to see what competition(s) the managers prioritise. Do they risk supporter wrath by making 10 changes for Villa away because they've got a "Big Game" against Barca on Wednesday, or do they keep a strong side out, risk the Barca game and annoy the owner? Would the PL be more inclined to take sanctions against one of them making changes en masse?

They've already said they'd prioritise the Super league.

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Oohhhh.  That's certainly a way they can make life very difficult for them.

Would probably force them to move to a more friendly overseas territory like UAE or summat but would definitely preclude them from competing in the PL as well. 

It's a loophole that I can't see Woodward having thought of. It also means that we can effectively withdraw all American/saudi work permits of the owners if their clubs are no longer registered in the UK.

11 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

I am sure that the top 6 owners have checked before they made the announcement about this silly super league, knowing full well that they would win any legal challenge to remain in the PL and play their super league games mid week as planned...I bet they will have their cake and eat it

The top 6 can all bugger off and play in their shite super league as far as I am concerned, but I reckon they will still end up playing in the PL as the the relevant football authorities will bend when they see money/compensation/brown envelopes offered.......

That should be the main concern for all clubs outside the so called "shite six"

VTID

Derek

I may be wrong, but I think the rule on competitions will mean they can set up their own but it doesn't mean they can request to compete in the PL. I think completions laws means it's about allowing there to be "direct competition" which the courts will see the SL as - it won't mean they can appeal to play in the PL, I think the PL and it's clubs (14) will be emtitled to vote them out.

Â