Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Do you reckon one of the reason we are being linked to the likes of Otavio is to be able to play a 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 successfully?

Think I actually saw a Blackpool fan say " eventually he realised we didn't have the personell to play this effectively " hence changed. ( For the love of Paul McGrath podcast I think it was )

Be great to have different options which are equally as effective against differing opposition of course 

No, I don't think Otavio fits into a 4 2 3 1 system tbh. He really fits as a right sided player in our midfield 3 a press resistant passer. 

I think 4 2 3 1 is a formation we can switch to in a game rather than one we start the game playing. It's because the wide players in the formation play in the same spaces Gerrard wants our full backs to play. 

Mid game we can move from say a 4 3 2 1 with Coutinho and Buendia, bring on Bailey and Traore for say Ramsey and Coutinho and switch to McGinn / Kamara as the 2 with Buendia in 10. We would have one full back tuck into midfield if the other had gone forward like the steering wheel or even go 2 2 6 in possession.

Now the opposition fullbacks have Bailey and Traore to deal with. Totally different dynamic. Ings on for Watkins then. I think this switch can help us break down low block teams. 

• Like 1

Interesting we played 4-2-3-1 vs Walsall, I know we had a group of CMs missing that maybe made either the 4-3-2-1 or the diamond too difficult to play but now Beale is going I wonder if the shape him and SG have played throughout their time together was MB decided. As SG has mentioned on numerous occasion that shape and coaching of it was MB domain.

I can't see us dropping all of the work we've done on the shape from last season but it is a way we can get all of our most talented players on the same pitch at the same time should Bailey play his way into the team post-injury. Some of the recent SG comments about how we see Kamara as both a 6 and 8 makes me feel double pivot is something he will enable us to do unlike before.

image.png.825d00e093d7f197bab24fb1b896172e.png

Granted I think the double pivot role will be a one Ramsey will need some accustoming too and it being comparatively lightweight, it does have a good blend of skill sets and with 5 subs next year have a feeling we might see this combination for a least some period of a game next season. If the feeling we are gearing up for a marquee b2b midfielder of a Laimer or Kone ilk is true then the fit would be even better without wanting to hamper Ramsey's development too much.

I am happy with the calibre of players we have now......my question is can we play as a team? and find a level of consistency....that is what will shape our future.

That's the challenge I am looking forward to.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I am happy with the calibre of players we have now......my question is can we play as a team? and find a level of consistency....that is what will shape our future.

That's the challenge I am looking forward to.

That's pretty much on the coaching staff, no?  I just feel the midfield needs a bit of a refresh to make it "click". Wouldn't mind seeing one of McGinn or Luiz leave and someone else of a similar or slightly higher quality come in.

In the various friendlies played so far at senior and youth level, we seem to have played 4-2-3-1 for the first half and some variation of 4-3-3 in the second. Could this suggest we are more open to a change of formation this season than many here were willing to believe?

Wasn’t sure where to put this but watching the club videos so far there does seem a real feel good factor around the club.  I think the focus on signing the right personalities over the years means we have a really good group of players now.   It’s almost like a fresh start too with new coach and Gerrards first pre season.

Now I know this is probably the case for all clubs in their training videos etc but I’m feeling really optimistic for the season. I can’t wait.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Wasn’t sure where to put this but watching the club videos so far there does seem a real feel good factor around the club.  I think the focus on signing the right personalities over the years means we have a really good group of players now.   It’s almost like a fresh start too with new coach and Gerrards first pre season.

Now I know this is probably the case for all clubs in their training videos etc but I’m feeling really optimistic for the season. I can’t wait.

It was pretty gloomy last pre season with the whole Jack saga and ROK leaving etc.

Everything felt weird.

This defo feels better so far.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It was pretty gloomy last pre season with the whole Jack saga and ROK leaving etc.

Everything felt weird.

This defo feels better so far.

Yep I remember the whole London camp and the complete focus being on Jack and his body language.  We signed Bailey and Ings but it was all over shadowed by Jack leaving.  

Also I’m pretty sure we only managed one friendly and that was a last minute one against some Italian team.

• Like 1

On 11/07/2022 at 22:17, ZL- said:

Interesting we played 4-2-3-1 vs Walsall, I know we had a group of CMs missing that maybe made either the 4-3-2-1 or the diamond too difficult to play but now Beale is going I wonder if the shape him and SG have played throughout their time together was MB decided. As SG has mentioned on numerous occasion that shape and coaching of it was MB domain.

I can't see us dropping all of the work we've done on the shape from last season but it is a way we can get all of our most talented players on the same pitch at the same time should Bailey play his way into the team post-injury. Some of the recent SG comments about how we see Kamara as both a 6 and 8 makes me feel double pivot is something he will enable us to do unlike before.

image.png.825d00e093d7f197bab24fb1b896172e.png

Granted I think the double pivot role will be a one Ramsey will need some accustoming too and it being comparatively lightweight, it does have a good blend of skill sets and with 5 subs next year have a feeling we might see this combination for a least some period of a game next season. If the feeling we are gearing up for a marquee b2b midfielder of a Laimer or Kone ilk is true then the fit would be even better without wanting to hamper Ramsey's development too much.

If we ever play a 4 2 3 1 it won't be Ramsey playing alongside Kamara it'll be McGinn / Luiz. 

If we moved to this system in some games it will require a little tweak for the full backs and one needs to tuck into midfield to make the 2 3 5 attacking shape or also get forward into a 2 2 6 to get an overload.

I feel with a pre season this formation can be added and worked on. I see it as a good one to use against teams we will dominate against and who will likely plan a low block and pack midfield to counter us playing two 10s.

So having the tactical flexibility to play 4 3 2 1, 4 3 1 2 and 4 2 3 1 will be important for next season. Especially with 5 subs allowed. A move from 4 3 2 1 to 4 2 3 1 can happen with a double substitution. Say take Buendia and Ramsey off from their 8 and 10 positions and put on Bailey / Traore. Then can replace Watkins with Ings and the opposition have totally new problems to deal with. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If they can all gel as a team, and not be just an assembly of good individual players.....I think we will all be happy.

I know it sounds a bit obvious.....but its not always easy to do.

I would still like to see a midfielder and striker come in.....but hey ho, we''ll have to wait an see.

Â