Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

I'd have preferred the club to tell him to get stuffed and keep hold of him to the summer at least, but I can understand why he wanted to go and play football. We spent a lot of money on a direct replacement for him, and as much as there seems to be consensus that Digne has underwhelmed so far, does anyone think for a moment Targett would have got minutes if not for injury? The manager was unlike to drop a new expensive signing within the first few months.

Instead, Targett has gone and played every week, and put himself in the shop window by doing better than he did here, and probably finishing above us. 

It should probably cause some concern that a player we'd (as a club) written off was able to go elsewhere and immediately perform much better - and arguably better than the expensive replacement we signed.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

See James Rodriguez and Everton for the dangers of signing a player who only wants to join for the manager. 

Unfortunately it's the only way Villa or Everton currently would be able to attract players like Coutinho or James.

2 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Would be unfortunate for sure but it wouldn’t stop me from making the decision. I might be alone in this opinion but Buendia can do a similar job for us 

Coutinho is a better individual player but the drop off is not so massive that if we had a better system it would show 

Also maybe push Ramsey in to a more advanced role, I think he plays better once the formation changing sub has been made 2nd half 

We can set up better and be better with or without coutinho 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Coutinho is a better individual player but the drop off is not so massive that if we had a better system it would show 

Also maybe push Ramsey in to a more advanced role, I think he plays better once the formation changing sub has been made 2nd half 

We can set up better and be better with or without coutinho 

I suggested this the other day as well. Solidly the midfield and let JJ play in the coutinho position 

• Like 1

On 09/04/2022 at 19:59, andym said:

I'll be honest, part of it is an irrational fear we are going to end up with loads of players with Liverpool links or his mates like Suarez, even though thats probably media bullshit.

Of the players listed, Coutinho is a no brainer. Digne is better than Targett, but i'm not convinced its by enough to be worth the large outlay;  he's not exactly been transformational for the team.

Chambers has performed well, but thats actually one of the concerns - as soon as he can, Konsa has been brought back in and despite being poor has kept his place. 

It doesnt tally with Gerrard's 'earn your spot'. See also McGinn's guaranteed start.

That leads me to question his judgement on players and worries me we are going to be spending big on people with good 'attitude', but who will be untouchable no matter how they actually play.

It's also irrelevant who you buy if you havent got the tactics and man management to get them performing. Gerrard talks a good game in that sense, but he's not backing it up so far.

Every manager has to work with players they inherit, and good managers are always able to get performances out of them, even if they're not 'their players'.

I don't think it is so much they are not his players.....more of the fact, he didn't assemble this unbalanced side and subsequently can't mask over that imbalance, to the point the good sides, expose it more.

I accept your point, you have to do better tactically, but against the better sides, tactics will only take you so far......The undoing against Spurs, was player errors, and mainly positional sense....which leads me on to another flaw.....our play WITHOUT the ball is a shambles, we have our issues on the ball, but without it, we are as naive as they come.

I would have thought, that is something we could work on......but 17 games lost, reeks of huge problem.....This team, simply cannot defend and that includes the whole team.....sure we are not prolific goal scorers either, but that defence has to be priority.

I am surprised Chambers or Hause has been left out, because the present 2 are not covering themselves in glory, despite me believing, without the midfield protection which is woeful, is it any wonder they are exposed.....having said that, they too, have to do better in one v ones.

With any team, if you keep losing the flaws seem much bigger than perhaps they really are.....but when flaws go unchecked the issues exasperate.

I think The midfield issues, have gone on for too long....and its now catching up with us and affecting the whole team......I don't see a way out until the Summer, and then we are not out of the woods, because we have to sign right this time......players who can really make a difference, not lightweights, who just blend in to an already imbalanced squad.

We need players who find holding a game together, natural and find stopping the opposition a welcome challenge, not a chore....we need a few who treat aerial balls to attack us as a waste of time....and above all, make us hard to play against.

I have a genuine feeling of melancholy, going in to this summer window, such is the confidence, I have in getting the right players in.....then the next hurdle is belending them in to a unit.

fingers crossed.

UTV

We're not competing for the title anytime soon so as a fan I just want to be entertained. We have had very few world class players over the years so even an aging Suarez would be welcome. I couldn't give a shit about his past, what's done is done, he was punished.

8 minutes ago, tinker said:

For the love of God NO! 

If it means no more of Watkins and Ings fluffing their lines then I dont care if he bites the ref in his first game.

Diego Costa was a shithouse, Chelsea fans loved him. Emi Martinez is a shithouse and we love him. Besides, Suarez has kept his nose clean AFAIK for the last few years.

Either way its pure speculation. The one good thing about the World Cup being in November is players will be going hell for leather in the first few months of the a season to make the squads. I'm not talking about Suarez here, he'll be an automatic pick but other potential targets. Coutinho might stay for this reason, to guarantee a spot in Brazil's (very talented and deep) squad.

Edited by R.Bear
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, R.Bear said:

If it means no more of Watkins and Ings fluffing their lines then I dont care if he bites the ref in his first game.

Diego Costa was a shithouse, Chelsea fans loved him. Emi Martinez is a shithouse and we love him. Besides, Suarez has kept his nose clean AFAIK for the last few years.

Either way its pure speculation. The one good thing about the World Cup being in November is players will be going hell for leather to make the squads. I'm not talking about Suarez here, he'll be an automatic pic but other potential targets. Coutinho might stay for this reason, to guarantee a sport in Brazil's (very talented and deep) squad.

Suarez cant move anymore thats the problem. He is finished 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Suarez cant move anymore thats the problem. He is finished 

He's scored a goal every 150 minutes in La Liga this season. Watkins scores one every 290 minutes and Ings every 320. He would be a huge improvement.

Edited by R.Bear
  • Haha 2

He's scored a goal every 150 minutes in La Liga this season. Watkins scores one every 290 minutes and Ings every 320. He would be a huge improvement.

And so it begins .......

This weekend was his first Atletico start in 2 months and he was dragged off in a loss

Form has moved upwards since he was dropped

15 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

We're not competing for the title anytime soon so as a fan I just want to be entertained. We have had very few world class players over the years so even an aging Suarez would be welcome. I couldn't give a shit about his past, what's done is done, he was punished.

You will be on here in October saying the dressing room is toxic !!!

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

This weekend was his first Atletico start in 2 months and he was dragged off in a loss

Form has moved upwards since he was dropped

He scored two from the bench the match before.

If Digne is facing an extended period on the sideline, how likely is it that we see a change of formation?  No way can SG expect Young to perform the same role as Digne for 90 mins.  Will likley require a more conservative approach from the left back, with possibly someone playing a bit wider on the left.

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

If Digne is facing an extended period on the sideline, how likely is it that we see a change of formation?  No way can SG expect Young to perform the same role as Digne for 90 mins.  Will likley require a more conservative approach from the left back, with possibly someone playing a bit wider on the left.

In a way it might be way more beneficial to the team because Gerrard might be forced to tweak the system. The LB (most likely Young) not marauding forward, tucking into midfield when we are attacking and not leaving us so susceptible on the break. Might not be a bad plan in general even if Digne was available.

Â