• Grealish
    • Watkins
    • Elmohamady (Cash 61
    • Trézéguet (Traoré 66)
    • Sanson (Barkley 76)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/02/21 at 23:59

17 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Nakamba was our best player in the 2 games he played and got dropped.

Barkley, goal aside, has done less than nothing in 7 games.

This one change would have meant a completely different game dynamic where our midfield was not constantly overrun.

Its no coincidence that as soon as Barkley went off Brighton were suddenly much less threatening.  Also no coincidence that our best performances have been games where Nakamba has played as he helps us control midfield areas.

Barkley is a luxury player, and as we are in such bad form, we cannot afford to keep him in the starting 11.  Pretty simple.

I'd agree on Barkley, I'm not a fan. Are you genuinely saying we would have won tonight if we swapped nakamba and Barkley?

Just to be clear, I'm not saying DS is doing a bad job.

I'm saying there are very simple and obvious things he could do that would have an enormous impact.  But for whatever reason, he is not doing it, and these clear and obvious things have been a feature of his career.

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

Because, we can't keep the ball, we lose it at an alarming rate, in games like this...so how can we attack.

for me, the issues are quite obvious.

Agree 100%. Can't keep the ball, why? We have been very good at it this season and now we are very bad at it. Very bad. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

I'd agree on Barkley, I'm not a fan. Are you genuinely saying we would have won tonight if we swapped nakamba and Barkley?

I haven't said that.  What I have said, is our midfield would have not been so easy to play through if he were not on the pitch.

Evinced by that actually happening when he went off.

• Like 1

Just now, flashingqwerty said:

I haven't said that.  What I have said, is our midfield would have not been so easy to play through if he were not on the pitch.

Or brighton tired and ran out of ideas? I'm not disagreeing but there are alternative explanations.

1 minute ago, Stratvillan said:

Where?

Villa, Brentford and Walsall.

In all 3 positions he has had a tendancy to not use his subs, and when he does, they tend to be very late in a game.

Its rare he makes changes early in games, and even rarer that he makes subs that are not like for like replacements.

24 minutes ago, TRO said:

No some of the rest have.....sanson has to come in.

He might just have to put a bit more thought into his game though because natural talent alone is not enough.

Just now, Stratvillan said:

Or brighton tired and ran out of ideas? I'm not disagreeing but there are alternative explanations.

Is that what happened in the other matches where Barkley was taken off too?  It must just be a coincidence that we control games more when hes not on the pitch

Just now, flashingqwerty said:

Villa, Brentford and Walsall.

In all 3 positions he has had a tendancy to not use his subs, and when he does, they tend to be very late in a game.

Its rare he makes changes early in games, and even rarer that he makes subs that are not like for like replacements.

All managers use subs late. How many sub at half time?

You have a superior knowledge of ds than me if you've followed his subs, pre villa.

34 minutes ago, TRO said:

We couldn't get the ball and when we got it, we couldn't keep it....

we need players who can help us with this.....the midfield was pants.

Yes I think we need to address the balance  of the team. Our defence is excellent but we get overun in midfield too often. We have a couple of luxury players out there ln Traore and Barkley and then Jack is not known for his ball winning prowess so its time for a change. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Is that what happened in the other matches where Barkley was taken off too?  It must just be a coincidence that we control games more when hes not on the pitch

Go on. Dazzle me with the stats.

I'll say again  I dont rate Barkley, I wouldnt sign him.

I just love the general notion of stating things based on 10ish games. I dont even know how many games hes played, and I dont care.

I love all of VT btw.

21 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

I didnt think we were any better when he went off to be honest. we were poor throughout

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

I knew this was likely to happen, im not slapping myself on the back, rather a bit disappointed.

These teams that press hard, transition well and have good movement seem to baffle us!

We need to find an answer to this!

I expected a game like this.....i have seen it before, from teams like this....i just never expected to see so many unforced errors, never mind the forced ones...i never expected such a poor attempt to counteract it....I thought we was playing Man city at times, thats how much we gave up possession, it was low grade and the midfield was the worst culprit.

Our touch tonight was woeful and we were totally spooked by their close contact...we are too easily relieved of the ball and not much idea of how to win it back.....all the second balls were conceded to Brighton.

in terms of tenacity, it was turgid.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Just to be clear, I'm not saying DS is doing a bad job.

I'm saying there are very simple and obvious things he could do that would have an enormous impact.  But for whatever reason, he is not doing it, and these clear and obvious things have been a feature of his career.

I think Smith has had an enormous impact on Villa taking us from midtable in the championship to fighting for a European place. In 3 seasons.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Agree 100%. Can't keep the ball, why? We have been very good at it this season and now we are very bad at it. Very bad. 

In my opinion, the midfield is not right...its ok, when teams let them play, when they don't, like Brighton, West ham and Burnley.....we let average teams dominate us in the middle of the park.....spoilers, spoil us too easily.

i have seen it for some time,against certain styles....some of our players are not quite as good as we think they are.....we have ball watchers, who fail to close down, when they haven't got the ball.....jack gets doubled up on and we fall to pieces, so what are the others doing....

we have piano players, we need more piano carriers.....we don't work hard enough without the ball in an organised group.

How can we attack.....when we don't keep the ball.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

In my opinion, the midfield is not right...its ok, when teams let them play, when they don't like brighton, west ham and Burnley.....we let average teams dominate us in the middle of the park.....spoilers, spoil us too easily.

i have seen it for some time....some of our players are not quite as good as we think they are.....we have ball watchers, who fail to close down, when they haven't got the ball.....jack gets doubled up on and we fall to pieces, so what are the others doing....

we have piano players, we need more piano carriers.....we don't work hard enough without the ball in an organised group.

How can we attack.....when we don't keep the ball.

Thank you. 

Â