• Grealish
    • Watkins
    • Elmohamady (Cash 61
    • Trézéguet (Traoré 66)
    • Sanson (Barkley 76)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/02/21 at 23:59

45 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

I'd agree on Barkley, I'm not a fan. Are you genuinely saying we would have won tonight if we swapped nakamba and Barkley?

It wouldn't have mattered much, who we brought on....the initiative was lost, early on in the game....we simply couldn't keep possession, to do anything in the game.

we gave the ball away too much....all of them, the whole team and our best player had his worst night for ball retention and first touch, he was a shadow of himself.

the possession of the ball, was desperate at times.....Ollie watkins had no chance.

this was not a game for McGinn, Luiz,Barkley and Traore....mere passengers.

• Like 1

We like to play a certain way and we have been applauded for it.....some teams are aware of our achilles heel and have done a number on us....and we end up carrying c 4 players.....we have to be able to change that.

We need to bring players in who can help us with this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Brighton are unbeaten in their last 6 league games now and have beaten Liverpool and Spurs .A point  regardless of the performance is respectable. I can't be arsed with another VT meltdown.

But Liverpool and Spurs have shown lately they are vulnerable to teams, who want to give them a game.....teams who are up for spoiling their natural talent....teams who play like Brighton.....they nullified all our talent tonight by out fighting us and denying us the ball......but, we hung on.

we have to find a way around this in future.

its not a meltdown, its explaining our shortfalls.

We were out fought tonight and lucky to come away with a point.....thank our magnificent goal keeper,for that.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, smg said:

He might just have to put a bit more thought into his game though because natural talent alone is not enough.

Well you saw for yourself tonight.....a team with arguably less natural talent than us....completely negating our game and out playing us.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Yes I think we need to address the balance  of the team. Our defence is excellent but we get overun in midfield too often. We have a couple of luxury players out there ln Traore and Barkley and then Jack is not known for his ball winning prowess so its time for a change. 

The midfield needs balance, certain jobs are not being done.

35 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I dread to think what Leicester and Leeds will do to us if we play like we have in the last 6 games. 

They play different games.....it will be different.

1 hour ago, Stratvillan said:

Or brighton tired and ran out of ideas? I'm not disagreeing but there are alternative explanations.

Brighton didn't have any ideas......they just took the ball of us.

they didn't need any ideas, they were just camped outside our box taking pot shots on occasions.....26 shots .....woeful part of the team allowing it....midfield.

it was a shocking display of how not to be able to win the ball back..

Edited by TRO

Brighton putting in their usual fantastic performance, their league position is a farce. Great team, great manager, brilliantly run club. They are the seaside Brentford.

Excellent point to battle to. Bad bad performance. The confidence going short from keeper to defence to midfield is rock bottom.

We go long because Ollie is excellent at making something from nothing and it's made us lazy. Lazy with passing and lazy with pressing. 

Do one Ross. Sit on the bench for a few weeks and watch a proper midfielder in Sanson who hasn't flattered to deceive his whole career.

2 hours ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Poor display, but no scapegoat imho. Dean Smith needs a plan B.

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

We need a plan B when things aren’t working for us , we don’t currently have one .

This is plan B. Plan A is 433 and though we might see it soon I'm not sure it'll work as it's even more offensive.

Our legs and confidence are lacking severely. Would love something radical like a 3421 because we are going to take a kicking in the next two playing like that.

One fairly simple thing we can do is put Grealish in the middle because he can go fetch the ball and get us going.

Sanson must start next game, thought he was good.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I love McGinn but he’s the player in the team who most needs a rest/break/time on the bench right now.

I too love McGinn but he has given the ball away more & more recently. Tonight was particularly poor from him. Right from the get go he was constantly & often needlessly playing it straight to their players or over-hitting passes. He also needs to stop dropping to the floor quite so often as at least a couple of times per game he does it and usually the refs wave play on and he's on the floor out of the game when often he hasn't actually been fouled. It's like the refs have rumbled his trick a little and it often results in us conceding possession and them breaking through onto the defence. Thankfully usually our defence is good enough to make amends but even so it's one of the multitude of issues regards us giving up possession too easily.

• Like 2

We're ten points ahead of Brighton, have a better goal difference than them by seventeen goals, have won six more games than them, have scored eleven more goals and conceded six less than them, and also have played two games less. That's what counts not that they're above us in some 'xG' table.

Today was a disappointing result as in every measurable way that counts, that is that makes a difference to the actual league table, we've been a better team than them this season, but it's not the end of the world, we're still doing well overall, have only lost one of the last four, and I wouldn't write us off beating Leicester.

• Like 1

Whilst the whole team (bar Martinez) were poor tonight, all I can think is that either Barkley has something in his contract to say that he has to play when fit or he's doing something every week in training that is out of this world. He's extremely lazy in matches. Personally I think he's a liability and the sooner he goes back to Chelsea the better. 

2 hours ago, tinker said:

FFS, this should be funny but I believe you mean it . I'm sorry but your letting your emotions get in the way of reason. Brightons last 6 games show how hard they are to play against . Because their not fashionable fans expect us to beat them.

Brighton’s form has nothing to do with our players not being able to pass. or DS not making subs at half time... or DS not changing tactics during the game.... 

Fashion has nothing to do with it so let’s just stick to facts and give a little respect to the fans as most of us know a good team when we see them. Brighton are a tidy outfit who most of us would have expected to be sitting above us in the league based on last season performance...

Anyway at the end of the day we were dogshite tonight, some of it was down to Brighton’s play but a lot of it was down to the Villa players and tactics.. 

• Like 1

Just because Brighton have had a few good results that doesn't mean that they're suddenly a great team, over the last six games they've only taken two more points than us, that's the best run of form they've had in a long time and will probably have all season, even now their current form is starting to drop off again to it's usual standard: have only taken two points from a below par us, and Burnley. We don't have to pretend to ourselves that they're any better than they actually are just to feel better about the result, just accept that these kind of games can happen, accept the point and move on.

16 minutes ago, useless said:

Just because Brighton have had a few good results that doesn't mean that they're suddenly a great team, over the last six games they've only taken two more points than us, that's the best run of form they've had in a long time and will probably have all season, even now their current form is starting to drop off again to it's usual standard: have only taken two points from a below par us, and Burnley. We don't have to pretend to ourselves that they're any better than they actually are just to feel better about the result, just accept that these kind of games can happen, accept the point and move on.

Hmm... I think they are a good team massively underachieving because they can’t get the ball in the net. I’ve thought that all season, not just because of recent form. Doesn’t mean I don’t think we were dreadful today. I’m just pleased to have got a point from it... Weirdly we were way better at Villa Park and lost. 

• Like 2

Â