Dry January

Follyfoot

Just now, tonyh29 said:

Could have been worse , at least you didn’t start a thread titled veganuary.

people giving up drink for a month , not shaving for a month or not changing their underpants for  a month , is definitely one for the things that piss you off but shouldn’t thread ... shouldn’t annoy me , and yet it does 

Grumpy Cat Annoyed Face GIF

The latter two are a given anyway

So apparently when you dont drink you sleep better and feel better. 

I've not drunk at all since NY Day yet I've been sleeping shit, Saturday and today woke up at 7.00am and couldn't get anymore sleep, and I don't feel remotely better.

All I know is my usual drinking nights of Thursday, Friday an Saturday have been boring. 

I haven’t drank since the 3rd. I have consistently woke between 3.30am and 6am usually.  Last week and this weekend I have had 3 7.45ams and a 9.30. It might be the lack of alcohol. 

17 minutes ago, sidcow said:

So apparently when you dont drink you sleep better and feel better. 

I've not drunk at all since NY Day yet I've been sleeping shit, Saturday and today woke up at 7.00am and couldn't get anymore sleep, and I don't feel remotely better.

All I know is my usual drinking nights of Thursday, Friday an Saturday have been boring. 

I’d definitely say most sleep better with no alcohol/very little , in their system. I do know people that sleep better having a few drinks, mind.  If it’s been a regular routine of drinking 3 nights a week, then I’d say your body and mind are getting used to the adjustment.

10 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I haven’t drank since the 3rd. I have consistently woke between 3.30am and 6am usually.  Last week and this weekend I have had 3 7.45ams and a 9.30. It might be the lack of alcohol. 

Why ain’t you drinking, if you don’t mind me asking? 

18 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Why ain’t you drinking, if you don’t mind me asking? 

Weight loss. I have managed to gain all the weight I lost so dieting and until they make a booze that actually helps lose weight I am having at least a month off booze. Maybe longer. Not drinking is part of a larger picture and not some dry January thing. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Weight loss. I have managed to gain all the weight I lost so dieting and until they make a booze that actually helps lose weight I am having at least a month off booze. Maybe longer. Not drinking is part of a larger picture and not some dry January thing. 

Good luck with it. My missus starts her 1000th diet tomorrow . It’s a 4 month diet so she won’t be drinking for 4 months . She’s having a few gins tonight for old times sake 

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Good luck with it. My missus starts her 1000th diet tomorrow . It’s a 4 month diet so she won’t be drinking for 4 months . She’s having a few gins tonight for old times sake 

I have been on a diet off and on since 2003. On a diet properly for the last 10 years. 10 years on a diet is disheartening. Just so I could have a burger and booze at the weekend. When I went into lockdown in March it all stopped. Everything so all the work was undone. 

14 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I have been on a diet off and on since 2003. On a diet properly for the last 10 years. 10 years on a diet is disheartening. Just so I could have a burger and booze at the weekend. When I went into lockdown in March it all stopped. Everything so all the work was undone. 

Must be bloody hard, especially if you like a drink, too. 

• Like 1

Just now, Seat68 said:

Yes, been fairly open about my drinking but for now its good to cut it out. 

Yes, it won’t hurt will it. My missus likes to drink to chill. Just a few drinks to unwind and watch tv with . She will find it hard going 4 months because of what kind of drinker she is. Don’t get me wrong she does over do it now and again, but don’t we all. I find stopping drinking quite easy because I only drink to get hammered, and don’t see the point in chilling with a few watching tv . Going 4-6-8 weeks is not uncommon but it’s all or nothing. 

• Like 1

Ended up going for it. The past week we've decided we both need to lose a lot of weight. The heaviest both of us have ever been thanks to lockdown. I've topped 15st :o so wwith our wedding as a provisional marker in June, aiming to lose at least 2 stone by then, 3 if I can lockdown now is a great chance, **** all at work and time to make the new food. We're hoping regularly trying new low calorie meals each day will keep it interesting, with the odd proper meal to keep us sane. 

Alongside that have been trying new exercises, even just the 10 minute cardio guide on the nhs exercise floors me :(

So kicking the booze for at least a month or so to get us off to a good start. Going hard and discipline for the lockdown until Feb, then hope that as our fitness goes up we can ease off a little and regulate the diet a little less harshly.

Fingers crossed. 

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 2

Just on the sleep thing, when me and the missus stopped drinking last year we both couldn’t sleep properly for the first couple of weeks. Woke up three or four times a night and generally felt terrible. Since then though I’ve slept the best I’ve ever slept, I rarely wake up and I actually feel refreshed when I wake up now, even on 5 hours sleep. I never believed that was possible to be honest. 

Everyone has their own reasons for drinking or not drinking, but if you’re trying to stop or cut down then from my experience when you get past the first two weeks it becomes so much easier. Get to a month and you start feeling the benefits, three months plus even more so. If you can moderate and cut down then fair play, I had no off switch, so it’s a choice between all or nothing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

Alongside that have been trying new exercises, even just the 10 minute cardio guide on the nhs exercise floors me :(

My advice would be to try tabatas, 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off, 8 times so 4 mins in total and you can do it for any exercise you like or enjoy, that way there's no pressure for doing 50 of something or 20 mins of something, it's a short blast which if you put everything in to it will always get you sweaty, no shame in being out of breath after pushing yourself hard even for 4 mins, Google the Annie exercise too thats a great one for belly fat 

Also take long hot baths after if you can, it'll do the same as a sauna and make you sweat off some water weight, it's a false indicator but if you're someone who's constantly looking at the scales it can make you feel a whole lot better about yourself! 

And the best diet is keto, by a distance IMO, it can be expensive but just eat meat, no potatoes, rice, bread, pasta etc just meat with a side of meat and throw in some hot sauce for flavour, it works

And drink green tea! It'll make you piss like a race horse but that counts as weight loss 😂

Edited by villa4europe
  • Thanks 1

On 05/01/2021 at 12:39, It's Your Round said:

I’ll be doing it, but it’ll be a piece of cake this time as I quit drinking at the end of January last year. After starting to realise I was a borderline alcoholic, I had to give it a go when my missus said she was going to try to stop. The first three weeks were awful but it got easier after that, since then I’ve navigated all of the social occasions that I’d normally drink my way through and come out the other side much happier. I’ve saved a fortune on wine too which is good. 

Good luck to those of you that do dry January, its the worst month to try and kick any addiction.

Good for you my man! I realized I was starting to show similar signs at around the same time but instead of kicking it completely I've cut down an immense amount. I've kept it up for the entire year too which has made me happier on the whole. I have no intention of going back to the days of chugging pints thinking I'm immortal again and after a long while of still feeling the cravings right now I don't really them as much. I'll still enjoy a few beers but I don't get drunk anymore. Wasn't aware that no drink January was a thing, but I will join in for the rest of the month starting from today.

Good luck to everyone and remember that you're not alone in trying to kick any addiction you might have. And if it's not about kicking an addiction but just living a more healthy lifestyle then that's also commendable!

Take care of yourselves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, osmark86 said:

Good for you my man! I realized I was starting to show similar signs at around the same time but instead of kicking it completely I've cut down an immense amount. I've kept it up for the entire year too which has made me happier on the whole. I have no intention of going back to the days of chugging pints thinking I'm immortal again and after a long while of still feeling the cravings right now I don't really them as much. I'll still enjoy a few beers but I don't get drunk anymore. Wasn't aware that no drink January was a thing, but I will join in for the rest of the month starting from today.

Good luck to everyone and remember that you're not alone in trying to kick any addiction you might have. And if it's not about kicking an addiction but just living a more healthy lifestyle then that's also commendable!

Take care of yourselves.

Well done, it’s mad how it can just creep up on you so we’ll done for recognising it and making the change. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Well done, it’s mad how it can just creep up on you so we’ll done for recognising it and making the change. 

Yeah it really is. My wife doesn't drink at all basically and she was beginning to be concerned about it and said that she doesn't want drinking to be a problem in our relationship. That was when it really dawned on me that my drinking habits weren't healthy and that if I kept on going I was going to be in the risk zone. Very sobering to realize this and scary too. I remember feeling very guilty and ashamed about it and almost in denial for some time. But accepting that you have an unhealthy relationship with drinking really is the first step in breaking bad habits. I always have it in the back of my head now and that really helps me keeping it from going too far.

• Like 1

Â