Dry January

Follyfoot

Just now, osmark86 said:

Yeah it really is. My wife doesn't drink at all basically and she was beginning to be concerned about it and said that she doesn't want drinking to be a problem in our relationship. That was when it really dawned on me that my drinking habits weren't healthy and that if I kept on going I was going to be in the risk zone. Very sobering to realize this and scary too. I remember feeling very guilty and ashamed about it and almost in denial for some time. But accepting that you have an unhealthy relationship with drinking really is the first step in breaking bad habits. I always have it in the back of my head now and that really helps me keeping it from going too far.

It’s made all the more difficult as society has always celebrated drinking, so for me I was always sort of proud that I can drink huge amounts and still go to work the next day. It became a badge of honour for me. It’s only now that I can look back and realise how stupid that was. I’ve always done things to excess, I was the same with drugs for 13 years but I kicked those over 10 years ago. Like you say, realising it’s a problem is the first step because I never thought I had a problem at any time. I used to wish I could just drink every now and then like most people do, but a year on I know I don’t need any alcohol to have a good time, and I’m finally free from it and very happy. 

Sorry that went a bit deeper there than dry January but it might be helpful for anyone wanting to stop altogether. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I need to stop, I have very abnormal liver enzyme readings, think I am in control but I am not. No one knows apart from me, finding it hard to post on here but been thinking about it after reading some of the other posts , hope this can be a positive step. Quit smoking easily after 25 years and also kicked substance abuse apart from maybe three times a year tops where I am in total control. Not sure why I find booze such a challenge as I am very strong willed usually. Thanks for listening 

I think this is very wise and brave of you. It's not easy to admit that one has weaknesses, but I think doing so actually shows strength. You should be proud of yourself for acknowledging this for yourself, it is not easy to do. Booze is more challenging because it is so generally integrated into culture and part of so many social interactions. Maybe do what I did and write down the ups and downs about drinking. What would you miss? What would you not miss? It's good to understand your own reasons for why you drink and to understand the benefits and costs about it in your own life. This coupled with clear cut goals makes it easier to cut down or stop altogether.

I really wish you all the best mate and I hope it works out for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I need to stop, I have very abnormal liver enzyme readings, think I am in control but I am not. No one knows apart from me, finding it hard to post on here but been thinking about it after reading some of the other posts , hope this can be a positive step. Quit smoking easily after 25 years and also kicked substance abuse apart from maybe three times a year tops where I am in total control. Not sure why I find booze such a challenge as I am very strong willed usually. Thanks for listening 

It’s hard man . I’ve been an addict(Cocaine) for 18 years probably. As you know drink goes hand in hand with it. I’ve always had a drink problem in the sense that 9 is not enough and 1 is too many. Alcohol has always been a problem for me, I just don’t react well with it, but it’s hard to stop. The fact it’s legal might make it harder for some people. I’ve cut down a lot and don’t drink often now. About 11 years ago I started having pains around my liver. In the end my missus made me go to the doctors and my liver count was really high . 41 and below is what it should be ideally, but mine was over 500. I was a heavy drinker at the time and had been for a few years. Top shelf as well . Anyway I stopped drinking for 6 months on the advice of my doctor and it sorted itself out. 

Good luck with your journey .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've had to give up drinking because quite frankly I'm a nob when drunk. I didn't even drink on NYE. Just before Christmas I went to a bar with a good mate and went to walk home at 9.30, instead I turned left instead of right and ended up on the floor at 3am with a grade 4 ripped out collarbone. Couldn't lift my baby from her bed, couldn't wipe my own arse properly and couldn't work for 5 weeks. 

I wouldn't just drink, I'd get black out drunk. 3 bottles of wine and shots. All very quickly too. I can drink all that in about 2/3 hours. So, yeah for the sake of my kids (and also, no one wants to spend a night in a Bulgarian hospital) I've stopped drinking.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Mate, you’ve taken a very brave step by admitting you have a problem. In AA terms you’ve just taken step 1 and for most alcoholics admitting that you are powerless over alcohol is the hardest step.

I’m not necessarily advocating AA (as it can be very hit and miss) but give it a go. Most of the meetings are online at the moment due to lockdown so it really is a great way of seeing whether it’s something that may help. I have to say I’ve never met a bad person in AA.....in fact they are some of the nicest people I’ve ever met.

And that’s the terrible thing about booze.....and as Hitz says....normal, decent people become nobs when alcohol has become a problem for them. And I firmly include myself in that category.

I’ve met alcoholics who have been heroin addicts too and they found heroin easier to quit than booze so don’t feel guilty about not finding it easy to quit. Also remember alcoholism feeds off guilt (feeling guilty at not being able to stop, or guilty at relapsing) too so be kind to yourself and really just take it an hour or day at a time.

If you are doing a home detox, be careful and make sure your doc prescribes the right vitamins. Also, be careful about going cold turkey......it’s much safer to gradually reduce your alcohol intake over 5-7 days before finally stopping.

Good luck fella 🤞👍

• Thanks 1

On 05/01/2021 at 11:50, Seat68 said:

I am but not intentionally. I am on a diet and to give myself the best start I am laying off alcohol. 

It’s funny but I stopped drinking Christmas Day (2019) but that was after trying countless times without much success. I managed to get to New Year alright and then I think what MASSIVELY helped quitting booze (ie craving alcohol) AND losing weight was doing a strict Keto diet.

After one week I’d lost half a stone and the positive effect of Ketosis (see link below) on the brain.....ie your brain is much more efficient than when running of glucose (ie alcohol) and bingo, that was it for me.....no turning back.

https://lifeapps.io/nutrition/this-is-your-brain-on-ketones/

I really can’t recommend a Keto diet strongly enough wanting to lose weight and quitting alcohol (or even just quitting alcohol).

(For anyone interested in the Keto diet watch ‘Fat Fiction’ on Amazon if you have it.)

23 hours ago, villa4europe said:

And the best diet is keto, by a distance IMO, it can be expensive but just eat meat, no potatoes, rice, bread, pasta etc just meat with a side of meat and throw in some hot sauce for flavour, it works

Just saw this.....a Keto diet really doesn’t have to be expensive cuts of meat - it can be basic eggs, cheese, bacon, decent sausages, mushrooms, tinned fish and the right veg (not fruit).

Also, as I’m sure you found you feel fuller for much, much longer so don’t snack, eat smaller portion size and maybe eat just twice a day rather than three times a day.

And obviously if you combine it with quitting alcohol and you’re seriously quids in.

Â