Heir hunters

AlwaysAVFC

This site often manages to give a great bit of advice on a variety of subjects, so I thought why not try here.

Today i received a letter from an 'Heir hunter' type genealogist firm who have said I'm a possible beneficiary to an estate. They have given the name of the deceased, which isn't an obvious family member. 

Pretty sure it wouldn't be on my Mum's side as we know that side quite well, but I know very little on my Dads side. Intrigued, I have been doing a bit of research and I found someone with the same name who died in May. I also found that her mothers maiden name was the same as my great grandmothers maiden name. I haven't found a link between the two though yet. It may not even be the right person anyway.

Has anyone got any experience of these heir hunters/claiming an estate/genealogy? 

32 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

This site often manages to give a great bit of advice on a variety of subjects, so I thought why not try here.

Today i received a letter from an 'Heir hunter' type genealogist firm who have said I'm a possible beneficiary to an estate. They have given the name of the deceased, which isn't an obvious family member. 

Pretty sure it wouldn't be on my Mum's side as we know that side quite well, but I know very little on my Dads side. Intrigued, I have been doing a bit of research and I found someone with the same name who died in May. I also found that her mothers maiden name was the same as my great grandmothers maiden name. I haven't found a link between the two though yet. It may not even be the right person anyway.

Has anyone got any experience of these heir hunters/claiming an estate/genealogy? 

Sounds like a scam.

4 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Sounds like a scam.

Its actually a thing here. There's even a TV programme called Heir Hunters that follows them about

If people die intestate, they see if they can find relatives. If they can't the money goes to the state. If they find someone, they make their money as a percentage of the estate

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

Sounds like a scam.

Definitely could but, but there is a possibility it's legit, and I'd hate scepticism to cost me a big wedge of cash.

The first thing I'd do is a bit of research on the specific organisation that contacted you, @AlwaysAVFC. This seems a decent write up of advice, https://www.fraserandfraser.co.uk/ive-been-contacted-by-an-heir-hunter/, with the key message being to not pay them a penny, do not give them any payment details, and when they ask for any information at all, take your time, think about it, and get second opinions. At all times, consider it through the lens of "How could they use this to scam me?"

There is no rush here. A major tactic by scammers is to rush you, they try to cause a panic by telling you they need information urgently or you'll lose out. That's 100% not the case with probates. Take your time, check everything twice, and be careful. Don't let yourself become a victim.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

Sounds like a scam.

It is a thing over here, where companies of these heir hunters compete with each other to find the heirs of unclaimed estates. There was a bbc series which was about it. They take commision on whatever is in the estate, which varies depending on the company. This one wants 20%, although not actually read their terms in detail yet though.

It does look like a legitimate company from a quick search.

36 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

I remember years and years ago my mum had a similar letter. 

All legit, was a small share in the estate of a distant relative. They took a large share of the proceeds, but she ended up with a few thousand pounds out of it.

Broadly speaking, I'd say that if you look into the firm itself, you'll probably find plenty of testimony online as to whether you carry on or not.

• Like 2

If you use their information, what could stop you from using your own initiative and cutting them out of the equation? By contacting the estate handlers yourself, you would probably avoid paying these heir hunters a commission.

1 minute ago, AJ said:

If you use their information, what could stop you from using your own initiative and cutting them out of the equation? By contacting the estate handlers yourself, you would probably avoid paying these heir hunters a commission.

Well they aren't going to give you the information they've used to get to the point of contacting you, until you've signed a contract and these things carry a deadline otherwise the money goes to the government.

And as its usually money for nothing, most people agree

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Well they aren't going to give you the information they've used to get to the point of contacting you, until you've signed a contract and these things carry a deadline otherwise the money goes to the government.

And as its usually money for nothing, most people agree

Makes sense.

• Like 1

My wife has been able to go through her entire family tree using a free pass thing through my son's Library card account.  

If you're not sure, why not contact your library, set up an account and have a look through yourself?  

It's free, just takes your time and if this company want a %, you might be able to save that %.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Free money or do a shit load of work and earn more. People are lazy and like I said there is a deadline too

The now factor will usually win over the wow factor.

• Like 1

@AlwaysAVFC

Is the name on here? 

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/unclaimed-estates-list

This will not be a comprehensive list of all unclaimed estates.  I believe only the higher value estates are listed.  Even if the name is listed - tread carefully.  Scammers can access this list.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

@AlwaysAVFC

Is the name on here? 

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/unclaimed-estates-list

This will not be a comprehensive list of all unclaimed estates.  I believe only the higher value estates are listed.  Even if the name is listed - tread carefully.  Scammers can access this list.

No it's not, I found that yesterday. I searched for first, middle and surname just in case the name they gave was married/maiden and differed on there but nothing.

If the person I have found, is the correct person. I'm not expecting it to be that high value estate. You never know sometimes but the house they lived in for at least 18 years was very modest. 

@Mandy Lifeboats has helped confirm they are a legitimate company. Also after doing what I was doing yesterday, only writing a bit of a tree down this time rather than just looking at the names, I have actually found my link to the deceased lady. Her Mom is my great great grandfathers sister.

God knows how I now go about showing I'm an heir to the estate if i go about it myself. I guess it's a matter of an awful lot of birth and death certificates and family trees. I've been using ancestry.com but can see a gap in my immediate family so it's probably not massively reliable. It looks like the siblings are 2 of 8 also, so i guess there is chances of lots of branches to the same position as myself.

• Like 1

On 16/11/2020 at 20:35, bickster said:

Free money or do a shit load of work and earn more. People are lazy and like I said there is a deadline too

I've always felt with this that if there was no way on earth you would have known about the inheritance without the hunters, its a bit disingenuous to cut them out. You would have had diddly squat without them so it's only fair to let them have their cut in my opinion. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 4

Spoke to the heir hunters today. Its pretty early days and they don't know whether there is a Will or not. The search started because a neighbour was concerned about what was happening to her estate (more so the house)

So nothing happening anytime soon. I'd quite like for there to be a Will and someone she wanted her estate to go to as its sad that she might not of had someone close when she died.

Â