Wrexham AFC - Ryan Reynolds/Rob McElhenney

Wezbid

48 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I said before they'd pretty much go straight there - don't really see any reason to change that.  Club has more money than almost all League One clubs.

Bigger debt though. Doubt they can afford to fund like thwy have for many more seasons.  Thats prob why the documentary is so key for them. The exposure they are getting im sure is making them huge money

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Bigger debt though. Doubt they can afford to fund like thwy have for many more seasons.  Thats prob why the documentary is so key for them. The exposure they are getting im sure is making them huge money

They'll be overplaying the debts and costs for dramatic effect and to gain further support/lessen the abuse that gets thrown their way of buying the lower leagues.

Long term they will make a fortune off selling the club and major global firms are already helping to fund them. Give it a few year's and there's a chance their shirt sponsor goes for more than some Premier League clubs (unless the novelty wears off and people get bored of them).

Edited by Rds1983
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

They'll be overplaying the debts and costs for dramatic effect and to gain further support/lessen the abuse that gets thrown their way of buying the lower leagues.

Long term they will make a fortune off selling the club and major global firms are already helping to fund them. Give it a few year's and there's a chance their shirt sponsor goes for more than some Premier League clubs (unless the novelty wears off and people get bored of them).

You probably are right but reynolds does not the seem to me to lie ans mislead.

Ill be honest wrexham prob wiuld add something to PL more than a team like Bournemouth 

On 09/11/2023 at 12:52, Demitri_C said:

They don't massively need to.  Teams in League One and below don't spend much money at all on transfers - the costs of running the clubs mean they are, essentially, perpetually making losses.  I don't think fans of Premier League clubs ever really get their head around this; the overwhelming majority of transfers are players whose contract has expired elsewhere.  Similarly, the overwhelming majority of "sales" are just players running down their contracts and then leaving.  The competitiveness is largely in an ability to offer higher wages and players will often take short term deals (1 or 2 year contracts) to enable themselves to get a higher wage elsewhere if they have one good season.

Wrexham already pushed for a League One side when they were in the National League.  They pay massive wages at that standard and also League Two level.  I think many of their better players are on what would be deemed long term contracts in these lower leagues.  As long as their owners are putting money into the squad, they're at an advantage to almost any club below the Championship.

• Like 1

On 16/11/2023 at 20:51, Demitri_C said:

That part was hilarious 

But tbf massive coup for them at that level

Yeah, definitely was. It did come across as a commercial decision rather than purely footballing, as the keeper still available to them had played something like 36 games and kept 13 clean sheets so far that season. Good exposure to both parties, but I did feel sorry for "Chomp".

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

Woah, Derby County are in League One, did not know they were relegated again. There but for the grace of NSWE..

They got like a 25 point deduction for trying to sell their stadium for about 3 times what it was worth

• Like 1

Just watched the episode about the Gresford mining disaster. By far the best episode of either series, and done very well. Thought it was excellent.

The mine owners stopped the wages of the dead miners at their time of death, rather than pay them the full shift. Shameful.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

7 hours ago, luckyeddie said:

Just watched the episode about the Gresford mining disaster. By far the best episode of either series, and done very well. Thought it was excellent.

The mine owners stopped the wages of the dead miners at their time of death, rather than pay them the full shift. Shameful.

That is legitimately shocking. 

22 minutes ago, maqroll said:

That is legitimately shocking. 

Yeah, the explosion was at 2am, so that's what time they were paid up till. And the only punishment they received was a £140 fine for the paperwork not being up to date, even though 260 odd miners died.

18 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Very clever. Paints Wrexham in a favourable light but the reality is that Accrington would’ve desperately needed the extra £25k whereas these guys don’t need it at all.

Clever PR work. 

Oh no, no.

You've forgotten that they've told everyone they're losing loads of money and everything's hard for them.

spacer.png

Â