Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Some of those names above him had a lot longer at Villa to score those goals in the premier league. He’s one of our best strikers we’ve had in the premier league. Also he’s our 22nd best player  of all time going off goal/ game ratio and I’d say it’s harder to be a prolific striker nowadays compared to back in the day. 

Gabriel Agbonlahor

Dwight Yorke

Dion Dublin

Juan Pablo Angel

Christian Benteke

Gareth Barry

Ollie Watkins

Julian Joachim

Dean Saunders

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MattVillaPortsmouth said:

think it’s harder for him at moment, with diaby sort of next to him it takes a large part away from Ollie

I think it he doesn't like others up top with him, once Ings left we saw a different Ollie, I think he want to be the 1st name on the team sheet and up front on his own. Personally. 

Just a few words about penalties and who takes them:

Holland international team in the late 80's/early 90's. Strikers: Marco van Basten and Ruud Gullit. Penalty taker was central defender Ronald Koeman.

Denmark in the mid 80's. Strikers were Preben Elkjaer and Michael Laudrup. Penalty taker was Jesper Olsen. 

I think Ollie will be fine without taking them, especially as he's missed 2 or 3. But right now he lacks confidence, I'd guess. The finish on his first chance yesterday hints at that. A striker full of confidence will take at least one more step to get closer to the keeper and then put it past him. Ollie yesterday took the first best chance to score, probably afraid of losing the ball or miss an even better chance. 

On the cross from Cash I guess he didn't see it in time. It all went fast and there were one or two defenders between them. But that's just me guessing. 

I have no doubt Ollie will score double figurer again. I think he'll score 17. And so far he's assisted 3 goals and got us a penalty in 5 games. That's a really good contribution.

• Like 2

Occam’s razor - just not finishing his chances. 

Per 90, he is above his Villa career in expected goals, expected assists, shot creating actions, goal creating actions, and pass completion %. No surprise that we’re also outpacing our team expected goals so far too compared to last year. 

Just can’t get the ball over the line. Needs a jammy scuffed goal to get him back on the board. 

Edited by DJBOB
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, calcifer said:

I think it he doesn't like others up top with him, once Ings left we saw a different Ollie, I think he want to be the 1st name on the team sheet and up front on his own. Personally. 

Quite possibly. But he's nowhere near good enough to be the main man in that way.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Quite possibly. But he's nowhere near good enough to be the main man in that way.

We've scored the 5th most goals in the league and he's a part of it. To say otherwise is nonsense. We've scored 11 and he's created 4. Yes winning a penalty counts as an assist. If Emery read this thread I think he'd laugh. Also losing Mings and Buendia is massive and gelling with new players makes the 9pts from 15 more impressive. Some people should take a week off from commenting after a win. It's a joke

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

We've scored the 5th most goals in the league and he's a part of it. To say otherwise is nonsense. We've scored 11 and he's created 4. Yes winning a penalty counts as an assist. If Emery read this thread I think he'd laugh. Also losing Mings and Buendia is massive and gelling with new players makes the 9pts from 15 more impressive. Some people should take a week off from commenting after a win. It's a joke

To say otherwise to what is nonsense? I said he's not our main man, not that he hasn't made goal contributions.

18 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Ollie is becoming frustrating to watch as the games go by. (ignoring Hibs games)

Hopefully he finds his shooting boots soon as I imagine he is equally frustrated too.

Yep I agree.  Both he and us need him to go on one of his scoring streaks to get him going again in some of his other parts of his game.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

To say otherwise to what is nonsense? I said he's not our main man, not that he hasn't made goal contributions.

He's contributed to 4 of our 11 goals same as Diaby. That makes him the main man. I could care less if he scores the goals or other people do from his involvement 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

He's contributed to 4 of our 11 goals same as Diaby. That makes him the main man. I could care less if he scores the goals or other people do from his involvement 

Moreno, Luiz, Kamara and Diaby are our main men.

Can't help but think the fact he is yet to sign a new contract is adding to the frustration with him. During his time here he always seem to score in streaks and goes streaks without scoring. I don't think that is going to change with him but he offers more then just goals. The fact Villa have scored 11 league goals and he is yet to score means we are not so reliant on him for goals like were for periods last season. 

The goals will come. 

15 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Stuart Pearce and Julian Dicks were formidable penalty takers 

both had aggression....Ollie is lacking a bit of aggression ( with himself).....his whole demeanor right now is passive.

To take a penalty outside of technique, you need a ruthless approach.

• Like 2

I like Ollie, always have, but there are one or two views like he only scores in purple patches, that have merit.

I thought "Sam" did a relevant analysis on Ollie on "The villa park podcast" last night......as unsavoury as we all want to admit, he made some salient points....check it out.

Ollie is a popular boy and has been great for us.....but he is off it, at the moment, his body language alone says it.

I think the "Heart " what Jhon Duran showed when he came on was a polar opposite of what Ollie is showing....Ollie needs to resurrect some physicality and effervesence back in to his game, and be hell bent on giving his opponents a hard time....He is and looks passive, he needs to snap out of it.

Goals do not always come from sheer sublime technique, like Duran and Diaby's ( disallowed) goals come from, as good as that is........sheer tenacity and will to fight for the ball, can bring rewards.

Ollie seems to have too much respect for the laundry lady, he needs to get his shorts dirty, and fight for that elusive goal.

Edited by TRO

Â