Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

35 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Arsenal didn' have a player who scored more than 15 goals and finished 2nd and were in a title race.

Think that answers your question.

Man City dominated the league with a false 9.

In the best teams goals are spread around.

Gabriel Jesus hit 11 goals, Watkins hit 15.

Yes but man city and arsenal have outstanding players all over the pitch. Spurs don't 

Just now, PaulC said:

Yes but man city and arsenal have outstanding players all over the pitch. Spurs don't 

They also have a style of play which creates more chances in different areas.

I wouldn't worry too much about not having a 30 goals a season striker. We will score plenty under Emery.

2 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

But Ollie never has a day where he isn't beneficial to or performance.

That’s not true, he’s had many performances where he’s not been beneficial (ignoring him not scoring).  He’s looked ineffective up there.

• Like 2

Watkins got 15 in the PL last season, he has been marginally improving every season.

Learning from Emery should also improve him, so too Diaby should create more for him. Personally Watkins will be eyeing 20 goals in the PL this season.

However 16-18 is good because we hope Diaby will weigh in with double figures, if he can get 12-14 then we will be in good shape.

We will likely still need a threat from the left though; João Félix, Torres or Doku. If they can also hit 12-14 it's CL here we go!

Simple eh?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

That’s not true, he’s had many performances where he’s not been beneficial (ignoring him not scoring).  He’s looked ineffective up there.

I feel this is a debate on semantics. 

Watkins ineffective days are extremely rare, and were basically all under Gerrard.

So for proprietary I'll rescind the never, and replace with Almost always contributes.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Watkins got 15 in the PL last season, he has been marginally improving every season.

Learning from Emery should also improve him, so too Diaby should create more for him. Personally Watkins will be eyeing 20 goals in the PL this season.

However 16-18 is good because we hope Diaby will weigh in with double figures, if he can get 12-14 then we will be in good shape.

We will likely still need a threat from the left though; João Félix, Torres or Doku. If they can also hit 12-14 it's CL here we go!

Simple eh?

I'm not sure we'll be in for the likes of Felix or Torres. I'd like Doku, but don't think he's much of a goal scorer.  Ramsey got 6 in the league last season, at a push we could see him in double figures.

46 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Has been said before when the weekly Watkins criticism comes around. Find me a better affordable replacement that would be willing to sign for Villa

That’s what Monchi is for.

I don’t want to replace Watkins either I’m just not in the camp he’s brilliant.  He has some great attributes and some major flaws, he has some amazing games and some ineffective games like most second tier strikers.  He’s currently the striker for us but imo not close to being one of the first names on the team sheet.  He’s indispensable at the moment because we don’t have a quality known replacement or option which imo is a problem.  We need an option to him, not a replacement of him if we want to really challenge for Top 4 imo.

Monchi and Emery I hope will find that affordable option to come in over and above Archer and Duran.

• Like 1

On 30/07/2023 at 22:34, Dillon66 said:

....and therein lies the problem. He's not even close to good enough for 'where we want to be'......far from it.

He has no spatial awareness in the box, useless in the air, and just swings a boot at whatever drops close to him. In a one on one situation with the keeper, I'd expect him to miss more than he scores. He scored 15 last season in spite of his deficiencies, not because he's good.....I heard he expects to score 20+ next season ? God knows where we're going to get 45 penalties from.

I agree he's not good enough for where we want to be. Yes his energy and pressing is unbelievable, but he's never on the same wavelength as our more intelligent players. The likes of Kamara, Dougie, Buendia, Moreno can link up all day. Watkins can't do the intricate link up play. He also makes those 'killer runs' far less than other strikers.

And yeah he scored 15 but out of all the league's top scorers he had one of the lowest goals per minute.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I agree he's not good enough for where we want to be. Yes his energy and pressing is unbelievable, but he's never on the same wavelength as our more intelligent players. The likes of Kamara, Dougie, Buendia, Moreno can link up all day. Watkins can't do the intricate link up play. He also makes those 'killer runs' far less than other strikers.

And yeah he scored 15 but out of all the league's top scorers he had one of the lowest goals per minute.

Would that not be in large part due to his barren spell under Slippy G?  

10 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Would that not be in large part due to his barren spell under Slippy G?  

Possibly. But even after his scoring run under Emery, he went what? Seven, eight games without one before the goal on the final day? His goals per minute has never been that great in the PL. If he improves on that this season, fair play, but I can't see it.

Edited by Tom13

I know Archer missed the pen, but that run and almost perfect touch gave him the opportunity to win it. There's no way Watkins is taking that kind of touch. I know Watkins has strengths, all I'm saying is if we had a different type of striker who could do bits of what Watkins does but also make those crucial runs and take those killer touches, our play would have another dimension and our creators would thrive.

• Like 2

If I remember, Danny Ings would’ve taken a perfect run and touch too.

There’s not room for poacher types in the modern game. I’m all for Cam to develop his all around skills to complement his poaching ability. 

But until then, Ollie will start every important match this season. 

On 31/07/2023 at 13:50, Risso said:

He is what he is. Has the odd hot streak, has the odd cold streak. Sometimes looks a world beater, sometimes couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo. The main draw back with him is his lack of composure. In any given goal scoring position you never know what you're going to get from him, which is what puts him on a level below the really top notch strikers. I think 15 a season is about his limit really, although he might get one or two more. What we need is somebody capable of hitting 20 and beyond. It makes such a big difference. Appreciate those players are few and far between, but it is what we need, whether we can afford one or not.

I agree with all that, even though, I do like Ollie.

I would add.........

He is not prolific, but he is consistent in scoring season on season, which sounds paradoxical....Ollie has returned double digits in his last 8 seasons consecutively....no mean feat.

I think, If Ollie had a bit more aggression, more often, in his game, he would find the other 5 goals to get his 20, per season.....its what Ivan Toney has, its the difference.

The header that he put back in to the box, for JJ to score was an epitome of the aggression, I am refering too.....He does have it at times, but not often enough...little bit passive at times.

Ollie is a very good player, but lacks that bit to make him prolific.

Would I sell him?......NO

Edited by TRO

It's mad people here are even considering replacing Ollie.  He'll score about 15+ goals, so will Diaby. That partnership is going to be wild under Emery, and I can't wait.

Edited by duke313
  • Like 2

Â