Academy General Topic

smetrov

4 minutes ago, useless said:

England U16 game v France will be streamed on youtube tomorrow...

There's no guarantee, but I imagine Kadan Young will play some part, he started the first two games, Proctor is definitely in the squad but hasn't played yet, I think he's still young for this level, so doing well just to be involved.

Is that 4pm our time that it kicks off?

On 06/10/2021 at 09:03, useless said:

We've been drawn in a group with West Bromwich Albion, Leicester City, and small heath in the U15 Floodlit Cup, top two qualify for knockout stages. We won it three or four seasons back and many of that team went onto win the FA Youth Cup with us.

We beat West Brom 3-0 today, we also beat small heath 3-1 last month, not sure if we've played Leicester yet, but apparently we're top of the group after today's result.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gerrard was youth team manager at Liverpool before he went to Rangers, I think the fact that he has experience of working with academy players will probably be one of the reasons that we're seemingly looking to bring him. If youth players at Rangers haven't been given a chance then it's probably for the simple reason that they're not good enough.

17 minutes ago, useless said:

Gerrard was youth team manager at Liverpool before he went to Rangers, I think the fact that he has experience of working with academy players will probably be one of the reasons that we're seemingly looking to bring him. If youth players at Rangers haven't been given a chance then it's probably for the simple reason that they're not good enough.

Rangers won the last Scottish Youth Cup held 3 years ago and it doesnt look like he blooded any of them players

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Rangers won the last Scottish Youth Cup held 3 years ago and it doesnt look like he blooded any of them players

Nathan Patterson is the only one but he has played more games for the Scottish national team than Rangers this season. To be fair it is Tavernier in front of him but he could easily have been given more game time with squad rotation and such.

Aston Villa will begin our FA Youth Cup defence at home to Leicester City.

The draw for the third round was made on Tuesday afternoon, pitting the Young Lions against the Foxes.

The game will be played at Villa Park, which also hosted last season’s final between Villa and Liverpool as the club beat the Reds 2-1 to lift the trophy.

It was the fourth time overall and the first time since 2002 that Villa have won the competition.

All third round ties must be played by Saturday, December 11, and a date and time for the fixture will be confirmed in due course.

AVFC

Edited by useless
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's a tough tie - how are Leicester doing at the moment?

Historically I remember a period where they were known for good youth results because their recruitment at that level was lead by physicality, but I'm not sure whether that's still an accurate assessment.

Leicester are joint top of the U18 league with Chelsea and Southampton, we on the other hand are eleventh out of fourteen teams and are conceding a lot of goals. But what should help us is that because it's the FA Youth Cup, some of the U23s will drop down, we won't be able to do it to the same extent as last season, but enough so that our U18 team that we play in the Cup will be stronger than the U18 team that we play in the U18 league.

Off the top of my head I think starting eleven would look something like this:

Zych, Ealing, Feeney, Swinkels, Patterson, Bogarde, Chrisene, Hart, Burchall, Reddin, Sewell

Probably give and take between those and the likes of Shakpoke, Afoka, Kadan Young, and Barnes for our strongest starting eleven, Carney still qualifies but given he's now part of the first team squad, it would probably be seen as being against the spirit of the competition to play him.

We play West Brom this weekend, might not be the worst idea to play something like the team we'd play in the FA Youth Cup in that game to see how they do and give them something of a practice playing with each other, as the U23s don't play until the Monday.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

Looking at the birthdates on the U23 page and adding those from the U18s... these are the players that qualify for the FA Youth Cup...

Goalkeepers: Oliwier Zych, James Wright, Sam Lewis, Central Defenders: Luke Softley, Finley Munroe, Josh Feeney, Sil Swinkels, Lamare Bogarde, Aaron O'Reilly Full-Backs: Frankie Ealing, Jayden Barber, Harvey Rhoades, Travis Patterson, Ben Chrisene, Midfielders: Todd Alcock, Taylor-Jay Hart, Tommi O'Reilly, Edward Rowe, Mikell Barnes, Kyrie Pierre, Carney Chukwuemeka, Wingers: Kahrel Reddin, Chisom Afoka, Ajani Burchall, Strikers: Dewain Sewell, Ruben Shakpoke, Charlie Lutz, Kobei Moore...

Archie Duerden, Illani Edwards, Charlie Pavey, and Kadan Young from the U16s could also potentially be involved having already played for the U18s... That might depend on how far we go in the competition though... Chukwuemeka as stated above I would have thought won't be involved.

Edited by useless

On 09/11/2021 at 20:14, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Based on what he has done at Rangers it will probably be bad news for youth players trying to break through now. Hope I'm wrong.

Considering the money we have spent on youth, I would think bringing youth through would have been a pre requisite for Gerard coming in.

Certainly should be.

On 16/11/2021 at 21:21, AntrimBlack said:

Considering the money we have spent on youth, I would think bringing youth through would have been a pre requisite for Gerard coming in.

Certainly should be.

There is no doubt that Gerrard will know all about our kids. Especially since the Youth Cup Final which he would have watched intently as we were playing the Plop U18s which was his team he coached before Rangers. 

I have watched the Gerrard doc on Prime twice now and the interesting part is how he had to change when he got into the mens game as it was light years from youth football. I think our players have plenty of talent but the difference will be mentally and there are not many managers who know exactly what its like to make that step up. 

I am hoping he will get in their heads  and really push them on . We have 4 maybe even 5 youth midfielders that might well make it as premier league players but whether they become great is as much mental as physical. 

As he says,  making it as a footballer isnt about being out on the grass showing your skills . Its about dealing with all the shit that comes with it 

• Like 1

Playing West Brom at 11:00... Zych, McBride, Alcock, Munroe, Barber, Hart, Teddy Rowe, Tommi O'Reilly, Afoka, Reddin, Sewell 

Subs: Hammond, Rhoades, Barnes, Pierre, Lutz

First time for Hammond being in the U18 squad, recently there was an England youth camp just for goalkeepers and he was part of that...

I can't say I hold too much hope of a positive result today, U18s have been woefully out of form, and today the defence looks particularly makeshift, a central-midfielder at right-back, Alcock a sitting midfielder, but more of a deep player-maker from what I've seen and read of him in central defence, alongside Munroe who himself usually plays left-back or defensive-midfield but has been having to fill in at central-defence this season, and Barber who's normaly a right-back at left-back.

Goalless at half-time, if the stats on the official site are anything to go by we're doing well, have dominated possession, and have had fifteen shots at goal versus their two shots at goal. Most pleasing stat, given the defensive record so far this season, is probably the fact we havne't conceded, hopefully they can keep it up in the second-half and add a goal.

• Like 1

We won 1-0, Tommi O'Reilly with the goal assisted by Reddin on his return from injury. Going by the stats from the game on the official site we were very dominant and unlucky not to win by a bigger margin. The win means we move above today's opponents West Brom in the league.

Edited by useless
  • Like 4

Â