Make your money last longer tips during Isolation

Robtaylor200

It certainly has made me realise how much I spend at work on lunches and vended coffee

We have learnt to manage on 80% of my wage and Mrs T loss of part time wage completely , But obviously no chance to put savings away.

My savings have been hit and as much as it grieves me at least I had them 

• Like 1

My wife has given me 2 haircuts and they've been pretty good tbh. First one she took a little bit "extra" off when trimming around on ear but the second cut is perfectly fine. I'm £20 up from that alone.

21 hours ago, Genie said:

My wife has given me 2 haircuts and they've been pretty good tbh. First one she took a little bit "extra" off when trimming around on ear but the second cut is perfectly fine. I'm £20 up from that alone.

Me too, I have a grade 2, Mrs T has done it fine twice. I wont be back to barbers after this

I thought this was a wind up but it turns out to be true.  I am with Octopus Energy for my utilities. As a special offer they will be paying ME for the electricity I use on Sunday afternoon.  It’s only 2p per kWh but it’s a novel idea. 

11 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I thought this was a wind up but it turns out to be true.  I am with Octopus Energy for my utilities. As a special offer they will be paying ME for the electricity I use on Sunday afternoon.  It’s only 2p per kWh but it’s a novel idea. 

Ahem...That ought to save you a few squid.

kenny mccormick stage GIF by South Park

Thank you, thank you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Ahem...That ought to save you a few squid.

How did you know that I own a squid farm but have been unable to heat the tanks due to insufficient resources in my electricity budget?  

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Time to mine some crypto.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Time to mine some crypto.

and charge up every decide you own, plus every electric car in the street. Heat up the neighbours hot tubs.

• Like 1

On 20/05/2020 at 20:49, Xela said:

This lockdown has made me realise how much money I was wasting before on stuff like coffee at work and buying my lunch and breakfast most days. I'm spending virtually nothing now. 

£25 on fuel since beginning of March

£0 on train tickets 

£0 on chain coffee

£0 on take aways

£0 on buying breakfast and lunch out

Normally the 5 things above would be £300-400 per month in total. Plus my new mortgage deal is £60 a month cheaper. 

Every cloud and all that. 

I do miss some things though (non league football days, pub lunches with mates, few after work drinks, etc). But i'll definitely come out of this with a better grasp of my daily spends. 

Yep I'm the same. Said it in the other thread.

I reckon I was spending £60 on coffee, £200-300 on nights out, £150 on fuel, probably £100 on meals out (including lunch at work if I didn't take my own), probably another £50 on  takeaways which I've cut out.

I've been really lucky in that I've been at full pay so far for the lockdown, so I haven't had to watch the pennies. But what it's done is made me realise where my money is going when things are normal!

• Like 2

Starting to hit me now. I work shifts. So no shift allowance and only 80% of normal pay. About £600 down per month now. But I am luckier than most as I do have savings. Also my holiday has been cancelled so I have the spending money I had saved for that  

Saved a shed load by fixing Mrs T car thanks to YouTube. She has an Peugoet 207. The side window stuck down and the roof stuck down. Garage charged me £130 to get it back up and told me it needed new motor and relay. I asked "If it needs those then how did you get it back up ?" They said they found some wet contacts and dried them out

mmmmm broke when wet OK when dry. YouTube showed me how to get into door, dry all with hair dryer, wrap in plastic. What do you know it all works. Robbing barstools. £130 to dry it out 

On 22/05/2020 at 06:56, Robtaylor200 said:

Me too, I have a grade 2, Mrs T has done it fine twice. I wont be back to barbers after this

I think it’s more alarming that you going to the barbers for a grade 2. 

I think I’ve worked out the answer to how you save money during the pandemic. It occurred to me as I was having my daily chat with Dave, our regular amazon delivery driver. 

I’m going to miss Dave. 

• Haha 2

Â