Make your money last longer tips during Isolation

Robtaylor200

Growing food from the bits we might throw away.

I've done this before on a tiny scale just to see if I could copy the youtube videos and I've grown some lettuce and got tomatoes to sprout

This year I have 2 leeks and 2 lettuces on the go. As well as chucking some old wrinkly tomatoes (sliced) in some soil.

Leeks and lettuce just save the 'heart' and pop it in some water on a windowsill until they root out and transfer to a tub with some soil or plant out. 

Plenty of vids on the you tubes 

Made a sourdough starter a few months back and has been baking my own bread since then.

Costs diddly squat and tastes infinitely better than any bread you get at the store.

Pretty simple, all you need to do is have a bit of planning as it takes a while from start to table.'

Should add I worked 5 years at a bakery so it wasn't a big ask for me, but it was probably another 5 years since the last time I bothered.

• Like 1

I've bought a deep fat fryer to replace trips to the chippy, and have made my own curry from Patacks curry paste the last 2 weekends.  Reckon I am £100 up already. 

The chips are so good I might keep that up, the fawmbly like them better than chippy chips. 

Purchased some Bisto chip shop curry sauce mix yesterday. I'm hoping it's brilliant but expecting it to be a poor imitation. 

Over the course of the weeks I reckon I'll save £300 - £400 just on Curry and Chippy costs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

How often do you go to the chippy? 

Chippy once a week, Curry once a week.  £50-£60 per week for a family of 4.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I dread to think of the years I'd shave off my life if I had a deep fat fryer.  I'd just chuck everything in there.

You are Homer Simpson and I claim my £5 :D 

14 hours ago, sidcow said:

Purchased some Bisto chip shop curry sauce mix yesterday. I'm hoping it's brilliant but expecting it to be a poor imitation. 

Get the mayflower stuff, you can usually find it in Farmfoods, Home Bargains, B&M, Iceland. Those sorts of places. It's great stuff and probably cheaper than the Bisto stuff too. 

Home Bargains have been selling a salt and pepper seasoning too that you can toss your fried chips into and give a nice coating. It's like crack. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Stopped smoking :) haven't bought any in over a month, around £400 better off as a result already

You are a hell of a lot better off than £400 mate! 

💪🏃‍♂️🏋️

Edited by sidcow

8 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

I dread to think of the years I'd shave off my life if I had a deep fat fryer.  I'd just chuck everything in there.

I insisted on a strict Saturday only routine.  But first week we had a deep fry Tuesday as well. 🚑🏨

On 19/04/2020 at 21:45, LakotaDakota said:

Stopped smoking :) haven't bought any in over a month, around £400 better off as a result already

Me and Mrs T stopped 3 years ago next month, We still vape (although have cut the nicotine down to 0.3) Even buying the vapes. maintenance and liquid we have saved 10 grand.. I worked out that Mrs T worked a day and half a week to pay for our tobacco. After a year she dropped down to working only 3 days a week.  Keep it up @LakotaDakota Well done 

On 20/04/2020 at 08:17, Seat68 said:

In 1996 we had a flood in the house that effected the electric deep fat fryer, never replaced it and if we have chips, ever since its been oven cooked. 

Get an Air-Fryer.  Amazing piece of kit,  great for nuggets as well that eat like they are off an advert.

• 5 weeks later...

This lockdown has made me realise how much money I was wasting before on stuff like coffee at work and buying my lunch and breakfast most days. I'm spending virtually nothing now. 

£25 on fuel since beginning of March

£0 on train tickets 

£0 on chain coffee

£0 on take aways

£0 on buying breakfast and lunch out

Normally the 5 things above would be £300-400 per month in total. Plus my new mortgage deal is £60 a month cheaper. 

Every cloud and all that. 

I do miss some things though (non league football days, pub lunches with mates, few after work drinks, etc). But i'll definitely come out of this with a better grasp of my daily spends. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 4

Unfortunately for me I've done all them jobs round the house that needed doing  but usually too busy.  Spent a fortune on decor, new shed, fencing and having carpets fitted this weekend  probably 2k in 2 months which I probably wouldn't have spent. But at least it's done I guess.

I think I’m at least a grand up a month. Haven’t put any petrol in the car for 9 weeks (normally at least £250 a month), saved about £15 per day on pubic transport, sox or seven quid a month on M&S lunches, no dinners out, nothing worth ordering on Deliveroo. 
I’m genuinely staggered at how much I spend a month on “incidentals” too. 
I feel hugely fortunate and more than a little guilty that so many are going to struggle financially though. 

• Like 1

Â