What's cooking / VT cookbook merge

trimandson

Do you like to cook ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to cook ?

• Yes
    • No

Did a nixer last night in a well ish know joint in dublin ...really wish I didn't.....filthy kip ...anyway the burger thing popped up .....full of dijon mustard dried herbs why lord why

Dijon mustard and dried herbs sounds like just cheap short-cut flavours. Poor effort Mr.Restaurant.

• 3 weeks later...

anyone here ever use a slow cooker?

I'm thinking of getting one tomorrow, I really fancy making a mahoosive pot of oxtail stew and using it to make some curries and stuff. Whats everyone's thoughts on them?

I'm thinking of getting one tomorrow, I really fancy making a mahoosive pot of oxtail stew and using it to make some curries and stuff. Whats everyone's thoughts on them?

I can't tell you much about them.

But I can tell you that my mom got one at xmas and she won't stop going on about how much she loves it!

OK, here is a taste sensation for you inspired by the 'how do you like your steak' thread.

I lived in Asia for 6 years and it was my favourite dish in Thailand, took me ages to find a decent recipe as its not something you would get in a Restraunt over here as its  a pretty rustic dish in many ways.

Nam Tok Nua (waterfall beef)

Prepare some ground toasted rice (dry roast some dry rice in a frying pan till it starts browning and smells toasted, then grind in a coffee grinder till really fine)

Decent steaks marinated in 2tbsp Soy sauce, 2 Tbsp Oyster Sauce and 1 Tbsp Palm sugar

This can be cooked under a grill or ideally on a BBQ to your liking, leave them to rest 5 mins in tin foil then slice into thinnish strips

For the topping mix

1 Whole Lime juiced

a bit less than the same amount of fish sauce (so if the lime juice is 4 TBsp, use 3-3.5 Tbsp of fish sauce

1Tbsp Palm sugar

Mix all this together

Finely chop about 3 shallots and 4 spring onions

Finely chop equal amounts (a good handful of each) of corriander, Basil (Holy Bail if you can get it) and mint

As much flaked chilli as you dare :)

Mix this onion/herb mixture in with the lime/fish sauce 

Top the steaks with this mixture

Sprinkle on a good portion of ground toasted rice 

Serve ideally with Thai Sticky rice (glutinous rice) or Jasmine if you cant find that.

Enjoy! Let me know if you try it :)

Even to a veggie that sounds amazing, would work with fish really well I imagine though.

Yes it does, also it works really well with deep fried Chicken,skin on, on the bone marinated with garlic as well :)

• 2 weeks later...

Great In the winter. Nothing like coming home to the smell of a good stew that's been slow cooking for 9 hours

Made fresh pasta for the first time today, then rolled and formed it into ravioli with a ricotta, spinach and lemon filling. Kicking myself that I've left trying it for so long, as it was really easy (just eggs and 00 flour, mixed together, kneaded and rested). Used a pasta machine to roll out, stuck the two sides together with water around the filling and then cooked in boiling water for 2 minutes. Bit of black pepper, butter and Parmesan - absolutely delicious.

Definitely going to try out different varieties now. Any suggestions?

Flying in the face of all you proper cooks; A lazy cheats rubbish curry:

- Sesame oil, salt, pepper, chilli flakes and ginger (I used the jar stuff), get it sizzling

- Add some quorn chicken pieces or real chicken for you carnivores

- Pour in a Cantonese curry sauce (sharwoods ftw)

- Throw in some chopped up spring onions

- Half boil some green beans, drain off and add

- Boil up some rice or like me go for the 2 minute microwave packs, add more chilli flakes and stir into the sauce

- Squeeze in some lime juice and simmer for another minute

- Serve

Proper lazy as most of it was in jars or bottles and the beans and quorn were frozen but it took 15 minutes, was tasty as **** and I really enjoyed it.

Master chef here I come!

Edited by Ingram85

beef stroganoff

Eating right now, slight adaptation of that recipe, in that I'm using sirloin because I had piece going spare and wild mushrooms? like I can be bothered with that so replaced with chestnut ones.

The lemon zest certainly adds something to it

"Serve with bread and gherkins"?  Unusual.

Didn't bother with that either, though I can see it might work. Just bog standard basmati tonight, though I'd have preferred a bit of wild in there too

Just knocked together a quick curry, no **** about no measuring I've just **** a load of ingredients into the bowl and added stuff as I needed, quite nice as well

Sometimes on the spontaneous curries are the best, you can measure ingredients perfectly and sometimes it can taste well...a bit...normal, by just chucking a **** load of stuff in the results can be pretty good man

Just knocked together a quick curry, no **** about no measuring I've just **** a load of ingredients into the bowl and added stuff as I needed, quite nice as well

Sometimes on the spontaneous curries are the best, you can measure ingredients perfectly and sometimes it can taste well...a bit...normal, by just chucking a **** load of stuff in the results can be pretty good man

In cooking you only really need pastry to have precise measurements  mains etc its ADD to taste ....if you want it with more garlic ...add more etc  

Â