Relegation thread

Knutserov13

22 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Pearson doesn’t get much luck. I think he does a decent job, if we went down and sacked Smith, I would actually feel reassured if we signed him, although wouldn’t want him in place for ever. However, I do hope we now stick with Smith - I think he has organised us since the break and its now just a lack of quality and no longer a lack of quality AND a lack of coaching/tactics

It has looked tighter since the lockdown, that is encouraging......still some stupid individual errors.

about sticking with him not sure.......still Only one win, in 8 games.

I know we have player issues, but i still think we could have stayed up, if we had of approached it better.

His win ration is 22% this season and 39% inc a promotion season.....its not that encouraging.

its a gamble, either way.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TRO said:

It has looked tighter since the lockdown, that is encouraging......still some stupid individual errors.

about sticking with him not sure.......still Only one win, in 8 games.

I know we have player issues, but i still think we could have stayed up, if we had of approached it better.

His win ration is 22% this season and 39% inc a promotion season.....its not that encouraging.

its a gamble, either way.

What do you make of what's happened at Watford this season? With numerous different managers, players clearly good (they finished 11th the year before) enough but not fighting and playing for anyone it seems. 

Who's position would you rather be in? 

32 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Hopefully Deeney is injured for the remaining Watford games too. Think he went off injured.

I'd rather deeney stayed on with that dodgy knee. Has barely moved and is like playing with 10 men.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

What do you make of what's happened at Watford this season? With numerous different managers, players clearly good (they finished 11th the year before) enough but not fighting and playing for anyone it seems. 

Who's position would you rather be in? 

What they did then and what they do now, is clearly two different things.....their belief, desire, cohesion, togetherness, has clearly changed, why? Who knows, but generally, managers get praised or criticised for that.

Their talent may not have changed, but their form has and their application too.

I don't want to be in any clubs position, without a winning mentality.....that is the holy grail.....that is what i seek.

as an example......Frank Lampard did well with Derby last season and in my opinion, Frank has changed now he is with chelsea, less passive and more driven/ ruthless....sure he has better players and more of them, but Frank has developed an edge, it is clear in his interviews, he won't tolerate slacking constantly refers to character and personality on the ball.....when they have a bad game he nips it in the bud, he is on top of it, immediately and it shows in his demeanor.....he turns it round, before it be comes an issue. ....it shows in their play.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Just saw this and found it quite surprising.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Crazy decision to sack him. 

The thing is with Pearson is, no matter how well he is doing, he has a track record of getting the sack.

The question is why? I think it's his 'old school style' which works for a short while but then gets found out. The players stop playing for him. 

Such an overated manger and lucky to have done what he has in football.

He's now toast, yesterdays man and will struggle to get another top flight job. 

Southend, Grimsby, Colchester watch out !!!!!!!

6 minutes ago, imavillan said:

The thing is with Pearson is, no matter how well he is doing, he has a track record of getting the sack.

The question is why? I think it's his 'old school style' which works for a short while but then gets found out. The players stop playing for him. 

Can you describe exactly what is  " old school style "

I am intrigued.

Edited by TRO

Just now, TRO said:

Can you describe what is exactly " old school style "

My old school type is, Bruce, Alladyce, Holloway, Warnock, McLeish el tel

All gusto, piss and wind

3 hours ago, AvonVillain said:

... not an argument, just a point of view. That being that a 34 point return from 38 games is really, truly miserable. If it's good enough, and if we can do it, then great! I suppose a different way of looking at it is, is it really worth being as consistently horrible as we have been over the course of a season, merely to survive on the final day? Would you take the same outcome next season, and the one after that? Personally, I'd prefer to be back in the Championship rather than disgracing the PL like this. I'm almost embarrassed that we can be this awful, and still have a chance of survival.

How about looking at it this way..

If at the start of the season I said that we would lose 3 important players from the spine of our strongest eleven for 1/2 of the season, and we’d be within touching distance of safety with 2 games to go... would you take that?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

If at the start of the season I said that we would lose 3 important players from the spine of our strongest eleven for 1/2 of the season, and we’d be within touching distance of safety with 2 games to go... would you take that?

Yes.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, imavillan said:

My old school type is, Bruce, Alladyce, Holloway, Warnock, McLeish el tel

All gusto, piss and wind

Just managers who presided over teams that were not very good?, so i guess it follows that they are not that good, personally, i don't see them as all the same.....top managers usually gravitate towards top teams, so it follows they have the best players.

On occasions some build their own, like. Nuno and Wilder.

Edited by TRO

19 minutes ago, imavillan said:

A certain club down the road are after a new manager..... 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

No.

and we will see , if at the end of the season meeting the owners will accept that.

if they do, great for Dean.

• Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

No.

and we will see , if at the end of the season meeting the owners will accept that.

if they do, great for Dean.

Ok. But the injuries are non-negotiable.

Considering the rebuild we had to undertake, with the limited money available, and the injuries to key players, I think we’ve done okay. Had we kept just one of McGinn, Heaton or Wesley then I think right now we’d be safe. Any team that loses 1 key player suffers, let alone 3.

16 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

That just shows for all the criticism our recruiting has gotten that we've actually built a competitive squad this summer. 

We are not very good at the moment, but as long as Bournmouth and Watord are worse we stand a chance.

I had actually thought that Bournmouth would leapfrog the teams ahead of them as it looked like fairly easy games left for them, but they looked off it today, ok they had one goal disallowed but between min 80 and 90 it was more Southampton going for more goals, didn't see any real fighting spirit in Bournmouth.

Watford I hope have done us a favour sacking Pearson and Shakespere, just the fact that they have fired three managers in one season makes them deserve to go down.

1 minute ago, Rob182 said:

Ok. But the injuries are non-negotiable.

Considering the rebuild we had to undertake, with the limited money available, and the injuries to key players, I think we’ve done okay. Had we kept just one of McGinn, Heaton or Wesley then I think right now we’d be safe. Any team that loses 1 key player suffers, let alone 3.

Not trying to be argumentative, but .....

• Wesley has nor even been well received by the fans and some wanted him removed before his injury
  • Heaton is a genuine shout for me, but Reina has shown the character to cover.
  • John McGinn went off form way before his injury and since his return is a shadow of the player we know as SJM.

Injuries are part and parcel of Pro football, its what managers have to deal with and plans have to be arranged around, they factor in, these troublesome events....they can all cite instances.

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

That just shows for all the criticism our recruiting has gotten that we've actually built a competitive squad this summer. 

I agree. A simplistic view is that we’ve recruited poorly because we’re in the relegation zone, but I genuinely think that injuries are the main reason for our plight, and the only ‘errors’ in the transfer business, in my opinion, was not bringing in another striker and not finding a better winger.

But when you consider that we signed, what, 13 new players? Most of them are now looking like decent players, and some are definitely now showing the potential that we probably hoped they’d show earlier in the season.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Thats why we are 18th....we have a competitive squad🙄

• Like 1