Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Just now, PieFacE said:

Supposed to go to my sisters for Christmas day but through the app she found out that she had been in contact with someone that has it, and after getting a test it turns out she has it too. So the two points to take away are:

1. The app actually works, mindblown.gif

2. Christmas is cancelled this year for me

Boooo

Hope your sister and family are ok and you manage to still have a good Christmas somehow Pieface! 

2 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Hope your sister and family are ok and you manage to still have a good Christmas somehow Pieface! 

Having a PieFace isn't a good start ;)

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

So another new highly alarming strain. We must be the unluckiest country in the world.  

Or alternatively the UK and South Africa are two countries actively trying to identify new strains of the virus

The from South Africa, just means they identified it first not it originating there. Coincidentally the other "new strain" was also identified in UK and S Africa.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Or alternatively the UK and South Africa are two countries actively trying to identify new strains of the virus

The from South Africa, just means they identified it first not it originating there. Coincidentally the other "new strain" was also identified in UK and S Africa.

This is it, and we’re doing a poor job of illustrating these facts. I was hoping Hancock would have pressed home the point that these “new strains” detected in the UK are not just exclusively here, we’ve just detected the differences first. He should have make the point that they will be evident everywhere and that restrictions against the UK are pointless. 
Maybe with the rumour that a trade deal is all but done he didn’t want to rock the boat.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

This is it, and we’re doing a poor job of illustrating these facts. I was hoping Hancock would have pressed home the point that these “new strains” detected in the UK are not just exclusively here, we’ve just detected the differences first. He should have make the point that they will be evident everywhere and that restrictions against the UK are pointless. 

I think they are happy for people to view it different though. Then we can all just blame these new strains and forget the constant **** up over the last 9 months. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think they are happy for people to view it different though. Then we can all just blame these new strains and forget the constant **** up over the last 9 months. 

My take is that the first new strain was to deflect incompetence, this second one is to ensure compliance as much as it is to deflect again

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

He did make it quite clear that we’re not breeding these viruses here and this one one explicitly came into the country from somewhere else.

But isn't this going to happen everywhere? The virus mutates, we know this. And with people continuing to travel different variations are going to appear in different countries. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

But isn't this going to happen everywhere? The virus mutates, we know this. And with people continuing to travel different variations are going to appear in different countries. 

It is, but still the UK is being treated like it has the lurgy 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

It is, but still the UK is being treated like it has the lurgy 

Yup. You can almost see why China downplayed it at first.

For all the faults of our nation's response at the government level, our scientists doing the genome sequencing work are among the best in the world. If I'm not mistake we're second only to Denmark in terms of how productive our sequencing is, whereas some large wealthy countries like Germany seem like they can't be **** doing it at all.

The reward we get for that hard work and giving the world a head's up is them treating us like a pariah and closing their borders. In large part, that's due to the shambolic messaging from our chief clowns though. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Yup. You can almost see why China downplayed it at first.

For all the faults of our nation's response at the government level, our scientists doing the genome sequencing work are among the best in the world. If I'm not mistake we're second only to Denmark in terms of how productive our sequencing is, whereas some large wealthy countries like Germany seem like they can't be **** doing it at all.

The reward we get for that hard work and giving the world a head's up is them treating us like a pariah and closing their borders. In large part, that's due to the shambolic messaging from our chief clowns though. 

This is the important part. Our politicians chose how to announce this news. It was done intentional to deflect from their errors in the lead up to Christmas. 

And its worked a treat. The story isn't the tories **** up, should never have promised a 5 day relaxation and then u turned on it. Its this scary new strain. 

Job done. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Situation is getting really scary. Won't be long before all football is suspended in this country I feel. 

There is no evidence that these new strains are more dangerous and the vaccine will work on them. 

I don't think this news should scare people. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

This is the important part. Our politicians chose how to announce this news. It was done intentional to deflect from their errors in the lead up to Christmas. 

And its worked a treat. The story isn't the tories **** up, should never have promised a 5 day relaxation and then u turned on it. Its this scary new strain. 

Job done. 

They could still have have said we can’t do Christmas as planned because of this scary new strain, it will be all over Europe but we’re first to differentiate it from the current strain. Ssssssssorry about that. 

Â