Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

2 hours ago, Risso said:

It must be 50 years at least since Paul McCartney wrote a good song.

My unpopular (or, at least, subjectively - creative talking about creative - controversial) opinion is Paul McCartney is not only the greatest musician of all time, but the greatest pure creative talent, in ANY artistic field, this country has ever produced.

Him materialising the song 'Get Back' on the Get Back documentary, in real time, and no cuts, is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen. He DREAMT the song 'Yesterday' too (he thought it might have been one of the other Beatles' stuff - but they confirmed it wasn't). Also, to do the almost THREE HOUR Glastonbury set he did last year, at 80 years old, with no breaks, and hardly any Beatles songs was, not only wild, but a testament to how extensive his back catalogue of songs really is (I reckon a lot of people didn't realise he wrote the song off the Postcode Lottery ads. Also, the lyrics to the chorus of 'Waterfalls' by TLC are McCartney's).

On the matter of Jeff Lynne though, I don't think ELO get anywhere near the credit they deserve. They're barely ever mentioned in lists of the UK's best ever bands. For me, they're on the Mount Rushmore of it, without question. He also worked with individual Beatles on their solo projects (as well as with Harrison in The Traveling Wilburys), so there's a direct connection there too. It's also crazy to think how many songs Lynne just wrote and gave to other artists. Lynne like McCartney, is a creative force of nature.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

On the matter of Jeff Lynne though, I don't think ELO get anywhere near the credit they deserve. They're barely ever mentioned in lists of the UK's best ever bands. For me, they're on the Mount Rushmore of it, without question. He also worked with individual Beatles on their solo projects (as well as with Harrison in The Traveling Wilburys), so there's a direct connection there too. It's also crazy to think how many songs Lynne just wrote and gave to other artists. Lynne like McCartney, is a creative force of nature.

Are you sure on this? McCartney and Harrison, yes, but unless I am misremembering, definitely not Lennon, and possibly not Starr. 

14 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Are you sure on this? McCartney and Harrison, yes, but unless I am misremembering, definitely not Lennon, and possibly not Starr. 

Well, he produced Beatles songs 'Free as a Bird' and 'Real Love' which were derived from Lennon's demos of the songs. So perhaps indirectly with Lennon on a personal level, but directly in terms of his actual work.

He worked/played on Ringo's album, Time Takes Time. He also performed as part of a one-off band with Starr as part of a Lennon memorial concert.

Edited by Beastmix

35 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

My unpopular (or, at least, subjectively - creative talking about creative - controversial) opinion is Paul McCartney is not only the greatest musician of all time, but the greatest pure creative talent, in ANY artistic field, this country has ever produced.

Him materialising the song 'Get Back' on the Get Back documentary, in real time, and no cuts, is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen. He DREAMT the song 'Yesterday' too (he thought it might have been one of the other Beatles' stuff - but they confirmed it wasn't). Also, to do the almost THREE HOUR Glastonbury set he did last year, at 80 years old, with no breaks, and hardly any Beatles songs was, not only wild, but a testament to how extensive his back catalogue of songs really is (I reckon a lot of people didn't realise he wrote the song off the Postcode Lottery ads. Also, the lyrics to the chorus of 'Waterfalls' by TLC are McCartney's).

beatles, ELO, oasis, who is the 4th?

5 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

Well, he produced Beatles songs 'Free as a Bird' and 'Real Love' which were derived from Lennon's demos of the songs. So perhaps indirectly with Lennon on a personal level, but directly in terms of his actual work.

He worked/played on Ringo's album, Time Takes Time. He also performed as part of a one-off band with Starr as part of a Lennon memorial concert.

Thought it might be the anthology series, Free as a bird/Real Love. I will give you Ringo, but not Lennon. Not that I disagree with any other part of your post, well maybe the ropey Glastonbury performance, that's not one to call out. But otherwise in agreement.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

beatles, ELO, oasis, who is the 4th?

Nothing against Oasis, but if we're talking global success, you probably have to put Zeppelin and Queen in (as much as I'm not a massive fan of either).

That's the crazy thing about UK rock music, there's probably a good twenty-odd bands jostling for those four spots and everybody's going to have their own opinion.

Given this is a Villa forum, I'm sure lots would try making a case for Sabbath, for example. It's an embarrassment of riches!

5 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

maybe the ropey Glastonbury performance

I genuinely enjoyed it. Thought it was the best headline performance since Radiohead's in 2017 (Radiohead are probably another unpopular opinion in and of themselves 😂)

It was nice to see McCartney perform mostly stuff from his solo career. Even Springsteen and Grohl were looking at him in awe towards the end (like, they couldn't actually believe what they were a part of)

I saw him at Glasto 2004, where he played mostly Beatles stuff and I'd swap it for last year's performance in a heartbeat.

Just now, Beastmix said:

I genuinely enjoyed it. Thought it was the best headline performance since Radiohead's in 2017 (Radiohead are probably another unpopular opinion in and of themselves 😂)

It was nice to see McCartney perform mostly stuff from his solo career. Even Springsteen and Grohl were looking at him in awe towards the end (like, they couldn't actually believe what they were a part of)

I saw him at Glasto 2004, where he played mostly Beatles stuff and I'd swap it for last year's performance in a heartbeat.

Not so much the setlist, more his voice. I don't think its been at a level that is acceptable for a number of years. His setlist was solid though. Even songs like I've just seen a face, its nice to have that. Admittedly I would have preferred a complete Solo McCartney/Wings set but for all of the Beatles songs that made it in, it was fairly solid.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

Oh my, I can't comment further due to the risk of an aneurism 

• Haha 1

Â