Do you read?

Luke_W

Picked up Elroy's 'The Black Dahlia' today. Thinking of getting into Raymond Chandler at some point.

The winter always brings out my inner crime fan.

Elroy and Chandler are both brilliant, allowing for the differences in era.

The L.A. Quartet (starting with The Black Dahlia) is peerless.

Not read a lot of late for some reason , a mixture of interwebbing and getting my skyplus box down from 95% to 12%

But just started reading Man of War by Duff Hart-Davis

It's the story of Cpt Allan Hillgarth he of operation Mincemeat

The author seems to have a few other interesting books to check out , his " war that never was" looks interesting

My Iain M Banks foray continues with his first Culture book, Consider Phlebas. Its interesting reading that first book with the knowledge of the Culture from other books in the series, as the book so far has presented the Culture as seen from the outside, as a far off enemy ideologically opposed to the protagonist.

After that I've got Pratchett's latest, and then I'm back on the Banks with his latest Culture book Hydrogen Sonata. And I'm growing interested in reading the A Song of Ice and Fire books despite my hefty reservations...

I've got these on the go at the moment, I am most looking forward to 'the twelve' and 'exit kingdom' at the moment although I am working my way through the stand before even looking at the others cuz its a 1400 page monster and knowing stephen king it have a fair few lull's that will be difficult to get past

51tn4xOHDqL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

First came the days of the plague. Then came the dreams.

Dark dreams that warned of the coming of the dark man. The apostate of death, his worn-down boot heels tramping the night roads. The warlord of the charnel house and Prince of Evil.

His time is at hand. His empire grows in the west and the Apocalypse looms.

Amazon Review

In 1978, science fiction writer Spider Robinson wrote a scathing review of The Stand in which he exhorted his readers to grab strangers in bookshops and beg them not to buy it.

The Stand is like that. You either love it or hate it, but you can't ignore it. Stephen King's most popular book, according to polls of his fans, is an end-of-the-world scenario: a rapidly mutating flu virus is accidentally released from a U.S. military facility and wipes out 99 and 44/100 percent of the world's population, thus setting the stage for an apocalyptic confrontation between Good and Evil.

"I love to burn things up," King says. "It's the werewolf in me, I guess.... The Stand was particularly fulfilling, because there I got a chance to scrub the whole human race, and man, it was fun! ... Much of the compulsive, driven feeling I had while I worked on The Stand came from the vicarious thrill of imagining an entire entrenched social order destroyed in one stroke."

There is much to admire in The Stand: the vivid thumbnail sketches with which King populates a whole landscape with dozens of believable characters; the deep sense of nostalgia for things left behind; the way it subverts our sense of reality by showing us a world we find familiar, then flipping it over to reveal the darkness underneath. Anyone who wants to know, or claims to know, the heart of the American experience needs to read this book. --Fiona Webster --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

51YkVl2PrBL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

THE TWELVE

Death-row prisoners with nightmare pasts and no future.

THE TWELVE

Until they were selected for a secret experiment.

THE TWELVE

To create something more than human.

THE TWELVE

Now they are the future and humanity's worst nightmare has begun.

THE TWELVE

The epic sequel to

THE PASSAGE

51uNlFWv0qL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Whatever happened to Oskar and Eli? And what became of the beleaguered families in Handling the Undead? Find out in Let the Old Dreams Die. In other tales from this collection, a woman finds a dead body and decides to keep it for herself, a customs officer has a mysterious gift which enables him to see what others hide, and a man believes he knows how to deceive death. These are the stories of John Ajvide Lindqvist's rich imagination. They are about love and death and what we do when the two collide and the monsters emerge.

Review

'Lindqvist's imagination is full of monsters, and he's brilliant at finding new ways of approaching well-trodden ground. His real talent, though, is the way he writes people' SFX.

'Lindqvist's knack for slick story-telling, inventive twists and cinematic set ups means we wouldn't be surprised if Hollywood are back in touch soon' Timeout.

'very gripping, soulful and imaginative. It's perhaps the best collection of stories I've read since Clive Barker's Books of Blood' Starburst Magazine.

'an example of some of the finest short horror fiction you'll find today' Reader Dad.

'Lindqvist has let loose a wayward brood of stories to enthral, unsettle, intrigue and, yes indeed, sometimes scare the living bejeezus out of us' This is Horror.

'This collection of chilling short stories will have you wishing your DLR journey was just a few pages longer' The Wharf.

'A compelling voice, a simply brilliant collection from one of the horror genre's best living authors' British Fantasy Society.

'These stories, which are surreal, complex, gives the reader insight into the human psyche ... A stunning collection' Terror-Tree.

51nKnHrfhDL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

In a world where the undead outnumber the living, Moses Todd roams the post-apocalyptic plains of America. His reprobate brother, Abraham - his only companion - has known little else. Together, they journey because they have to; because they have nowhere to go, and no one to answer to other than themselves. Travelling the bloody wastelands of this ruined world, Moses is looking for a kernel of truth, and a reason to keep going. And a chance encounter presents him with the Vestal Amata, a beguiling and mysterious woman who may hold the key to salvation. But he is not the only one seeking the Vestal. For the Vestal has a gift: a gift that might help save what is left of humanity. And it may take everything he has to free her from the clutches of those who most desire her. Praise for The Reapers Are The Angels: 'An intimate story, in an epic wasteland’ Russell T. Davies, 'A literary/horror mashup that is unsettlingly good’ USA Today, ‘[bell's] sentences roll ... moving to the rhythm of the stilled, eerie environment’ New York Times

I've got these on the go at the moment, I am most looking forward to 'the twelve' and 'exit kingdom' at the moment although I am working my way through the stand before even looking at the others cuz its a 1400 page monster and knowing stephen king it have a fair few lull's that will be difficult to get past

51tn4xOHDqL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Extended version? If so you'll have a delightful section during the Trashy and Kid journey to LV. There's a scene with those pair that rivals even THAT SCENE from IT in terms of :wacko:-ness, if you've read that too. Although touted as his best, there are a fair few King novels that I prefer much more than The Stand. Not that it's bad though. It's just....Fran. Ugh. Just did not like her one little bit. As you mention, there are lulls, the worst of which I believe to be at the end, which (again), is a fair criticism for alot of King, M-O-O-N that spells criticism.

Following on from that, and as it ties in with the above mention of JFK too - he seems to have gotten a bit better in regards to endings in his recent novels, 11/22/63 in particular has his best ending since...well, forever, really.

As I mentioned above I'm reading The Dark Tower at the moment, and finished volume III, The Wastelands, the other day. It was superb. I've heard things start to go downill sharpish from here though. It did have a massive The Stand tie-in aswell, which had me squeeing like a fanboy

MY LIFE FOR YOU

Yeah I have read IT, are you on about the scene when they all give the young Beverley a good poling in order to cement their friendship?

It is the extended version I have got.

The dark tower is a cracking series I think I made it 5 or 6 books in then kind of forgot about it, I keep meaning to pick it back up a re-read it all. I dont know for the life of me why it has taken me so long to get around to reading the stand to be honest

What happens in the wastelands again? is that the one where Roland does nothing but sleep pretty much through the entire book? I dont want to say too much because I dont want to much more as I dont want to spoil the next in the series accidentally for you

I am pretty sure that the 4th one is the one that just goes **** bat shit crazy and the 5th one that really goes downhill, been years since I read them though

I thought The Stand was excellent, though I've never read the un cut version. I guess it was cut for a reason from the beginning. But no, not his best. My favourite is Salem's Lot. The Tommyknockers weren't too bad either. But Under the Dome is probably the best he's done since Bag of bones, IMO. Brilliant.

Really looking forward to The Twelve. When is it said to be released? I wonder if it'll take longer for it to be released here in Sweden. Some years ago it always took longer time for foreign books to be released here, but I don't know how it works today. Haven't waited for a book since, well, The wheel of time, which I still haven't finished.

Yeah I have read IT, are you on about the scene when they all give the young Beverley a good poling in order to cement their friendship?

Haha, yes thats it, they're like 11/12 years old at the time, and it's basically a gangbang. In a sewer.

What happens in the wastelands again? is that the one where Roland does nothing but sleep pretty much through the entire book?

The Wastelands covers the 'drawing' of Jake from his when over to mid-world, the introduction of Oy, and the Ka-tet's journey along the path of the beam, which takes them through River Crossing and then on to Lud, where Jake is abducted by one of the Tick Tock Man's cronies. It ends with them boarding Blaine, who tells them GIVE ME LOTS OF RIDDLES PLEASE, AND DO NOT BE RUDE or else he will kill them all. Basically it finishes right there. I can only imagine what people at the time mustve thought to that, as they had to wait ~7 years for Wizard and Glass!

As for Roland sleeping through the entire book...ermm, nope, havent had the pleasure of that one yet

I thought The Stand was excellent, though I've never read the un cut version. I guess it was cut for a reason from the beginning. But no, not his best. My favourite is Salem's Lot. The Tommyknockers weren't too bad either. But Under the Dome is probably the best he's done since Bag of bones, IMO. Brilliant.

Really looking forward to The Twelve. When is it said to be released? I wonder if it'll take longer for it to be released here in Sweden. Some years ago it always took longer time for foreign books to be released here, but I don't know how it works today. Haven't waited for a book since, well, The wheel of time, which I still haven't finished.

the twelve is out now I picked it up the other day, I thought the passage was brilliant (a bit hard going at times) really looking forward to reading it.

Haha, yes thats it, they're like 11/12 years old at the time, and it's basically a gangbang. In a sewer.

The Wastelands covers the 'drawing' of Jake from his when over to mid-world, the introduction of Oy, and the Ka-tet's journey along the path of the beam, which takes them through River Crossing and then on to Lud, where Jake is abducted by one of the Tick Tock Man's cronies. It ends with them boarding Blaine, who tells them GIVE ME LOTS OF RIDDLES PLEASE, AND DO NOT BE RUDE or else he will kill them all. Basically it finishes right there. I can only imagine what people at the time mustve thought to that, as they had to wait ~7 years for Wizard and Glass!

As for Roland sleeping through the entire book...ermm, nope, havent had the pleasure of that one yet

The one where Roland sleeps through the entire book is when he gets bit by the moster crab thing and loses his trigger finger (or something like that) then he burns up something terrible and basicly slips in and out of consiousness for the whole book and doesn't do a fat lot at all (thinking about it that may be the second book)

I really think I'll have to re-read them all lol

Â